Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #1  
Oh buddy, it's on!

Default Food you thought you couldn't live without...

Do you have one? Potato chips are mine. It's been two weeks since I've had one potato chip and it's been so hard. It really has. Lay's kettle cooked potato chips were my absolute favorite. I could eat an entire bag in two days, probably one if I allowed myself to. (Two days seemed a lot better to me, then. How awful!) I thought about slowly weening off of them by replacing them with baked lays but that never worked for me in the past. So, I cut them out of my diet completely. Not sure I can do this forever but I'm afraid if I allow myself one chip, I'll end up eating the entire bag.

Anyone else out there have a food you thought you couldn't live without?
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I can't live without icecream. And I don't try to make myself live without it.

I keep a small container of icecream in my freezer and have a little when I'm craving it.

Try to find some way to satisfy that craving in a healthy way. You don't want to deprive yourself so much that you end up blowing your potato chip top and eating 5 bags. :P

Last edited by MotoMichelle; 01-18-2010 at 12:51 PM.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

For me it would be fast food and cheese. I still use parmasean and occasionally a little bit of the real stuff but oddly, I don't pine for it the way I thought I would.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #4  

Hey for the chip you may want to try this:

Take La Tortilla factory tortillas and cut it like a pizza. Spray it with non-fat spray and sprinkle with salt or whatever you want and bake it on a high heat until the texture is what you like.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #5  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

Do you want a list? LOL

Pop is probably my big one. Even though I only drank the caffeine free, diet pop, I was still addicted. I haven't had any in almost 2 weeks.

Other than that, it's a tie between chips and baked junk (brownies, cake, cookies, etc).
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Junk food in general but I barely miss it!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #7  

food obsessed..what are you doing not to miss the junk food..need some inspiration here today
Old 01-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Pizza for me. There were times in my life where it comprised at least one meal every day. I adore pizza, and when I started this diet, I was sure that it was the one food I couldn't do without.

But I've come to realize that I may have to do without it. I'm beginning to believe that eating pizza makes me more likely to binge. So I've cut myself down to one day a week, and may have to do without completely if I don't see improvement.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 374/ticker/size 12

Height: 5'8"

Fast food. I have cut back so much it is insane... but I don't see how people absolutely never eat fast food. some days we are just not home... some days it has to be done. When we do eat it I at least no longer get a coke but get water but other than that I haven't really started making too great of choices there. Its coming though...
oneLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #10  

Also fast food. I like to cook but I also like to eat out...unfortunate side effect of being a food lover. Also...Reese's. I can eat a Super-size bag in one day. And "dessert coffees," like a White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha with whipped cream....mmmm.
SpoonSockSpork12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Again with the pizza and it's odd because I seem to have some kind of low level wheat allergy, I know as I'm eating pizza I will feel awful for the rest of the day and most of the following day and I still don't stop until I've finished the box.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I am constantly amazed by my ability to easily live without baked goods/packaged baked goods. Wow, I used to love scones, muffins, cookies, pop tarts, yogurt pretzels - they were probably my "favorite" foods before my lifestyle change.

Sure, I still have the occasional baked treat (usually some nice dessert at a restaurant) but it is far from a daily event. And it's NO PROBLEM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #13  

I agree on chips (with cheese being a close second). My body has been trying to convince my mind to just not eat any calories all day and go pound like 2 orders of chips and salsa at Chili's. Or a whole bag of kettle-cooked salt and vinegar chips.

I also agree that I can't really replace with a healthier thing (at least not yet). It just spurs cravings and inappropriate portions sizes too much.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #14  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Most people are saying pizza. I'll say that's one of my foods, even the homemade stuff. I adore ****'s pizza and get the Creator (where you choose the toppings) with double pepperoni and double parmesan. DH and I pick two up on the odd occasion- I'm getting the smaller snack size and eating half now, half the next day (6 very small slices for the whole thing) while he can eat a large one by himself over 3 days (he gets toppings I don't like, so it's a given I won't eat it). I've moved to just a single pepperoni and parmesan topping.

I also love sweets: lollies, chocolate, baked goods (brownies, scones, cookies, muffins, slices, cakes, etc). I've been baking low-cal/low-fat/low-sugar versions of my favourites. DH and I have a piece each every night for dessert until it's gone; my cravings are satisfied for a month or two.

I don't believe in denying myself anything, I just have to plan for it. But having said that, when I first started, I had to figure out what my triggers were (refined sugar), cut that out for a while and slowly reintroduce foods into my diet. I don't really like fast food; it's starting to taste a little like cardboard now; the taste never changes and that's just weird.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #15  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLess View Post
Fast food. I have cut back so much it is insane... but I don't see how people absolutely never eat fast food. some days we are just not home... some days it has to be done. When we do eat it I at least no longer get a coke but get water but other than that I haven't really started making too great of choices there. Its coming though...
Hi! I haven't had ANY fast food in 22 months. NONE! It really wasn't all that hard. We have days were we have food fast...but it is home made, pre-made, nutritious, delicious stuff. It can be done.

To answer the OP's question, the one thing I didn't think I could live without, but have found it not all that appealing anymore is (real) butter. I use olive oil or nothing now in place of butter. I used to use at least a stick for every meal I made my family.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote