Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/227.5/150

Height: 5 ft 6in

Exclamation I am not losing much

I just started this calorie counting about 3 weeks ago and the 1st week I did great- losing almost 5 pounds! This week, not so good. I have only lost 1.2 pounds. I have just gotten into this section and see that maybe I am not getting enough calories each day. I guess that could make my body want to store what it does have? Some calculators that one of the ladies in the 30 something section showed me said that I need 1700 calories a day!! That seems so high to me! I am now doing 1200, but I guess that is not enough!! I am very strict about writing down EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth, so it is not because I am "cheating". Help!!!
nassmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/108/100

Height: 4ft 11

hi nass

i read your post and i so know how you feel, when ever i look at calorie counters it seems so high! i too started out at 1200 but and trying a little more 1400 is this week if i can as i too have not really lost anything in my second week.

i guess we can both try eating more and see what happens x
mysticshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Height: 5'4"

First of all, congrats on the weight loss! I know 1-2 lbs per week feels incredibly slow but that is actually a normal, healthy amount of weight loss.

What type of exercise have you been doing? If you think your metabolism might be slowing down, you could try upping the amount of calories you eat (say, from 1200 to 1500-1700) and also upping the amount of exercise you do each day. This might help give your metabolism a boost.
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #4  

I am doing the Biggest Loser Jump Start DVD 6 days a week and walking at least a mile 3 to 4 days per week. I am thinking I need to up the calories some. Maybe to 1400 to 1500? I am freaked out about that 1700 number!! I would love to lose 2 pounds per week, but 1 just does not seem right!!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #5  

I think 1200 is definitely too low. Generally, no one should ever eat less than that each day. If you're just starting out, you should start with a higher number (1700 sounds about right) and let your body get used to that before you go any lower. At some point you will hit a plateau and if you're already eating 1200 calories you won't really have any room to go any lower.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 193/See ticker/148

Height: 5'4"

In addition to what others have said, please remember that to lose 5 lbs of fat in one week you would have to have a daily calorie deficit of 2500 calories per day--which would be just about impossible. That means that a lot of the initial 5 lbs was water, so unless someone is extremely obese, it isn't really possible to continue losing at that rate.

Probably many people give up because results aren't fast enough for them. Please don't do that--think in the long term. Think in terms of months, not weeks. You can see amazing results over time, even with 1400-1600 calories a day. Weight loss is not always consistent in the short term even when you are consistent with the calories. There will be good weeks and bad weeks but over 5 or 6 months, you can have amazing results.
emileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/135.4/132

Height: 5' 4.5

I also think that perhaps upping your calories would be a good idea. You need to feed your body to keep your metabolism going strong and give your body the energy it needs to exercise. You could try adding back in more healthy calories to your diet over the next couple of weeks and see if that helps.

I will say though, that even when I am super good with my eating and exercise, I still have weeks where I just don't see any movement on the scale. This was true even when I first started out so I know how discouraging it feels!! But if you stick with it, the scale will go down. My weight tends to come off in whooshes. I will have a couple of weeks where I stay virtually the same and then one week where I will see a pretty good drop on the scale. My weight loss has never ever been linear. Hang in there! You will see success!
lovingsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7

I agree with the others. You should up you calories to a minimum of 1600 IMO but I would go 1600-1800. If you stall and have to go down in calories at 1200 you cant. You have no where to go and the only thing you will be able to do is workout a lot more.

I really dont understand why the 1200 calories a day thing is still going around so much. Everyone thinks that is the magic number to lose weight. I wish someone would start pushing like 1600-1800 as the magic number as most people who need to lose weight were eating WAY more than that per day.

If you can eat a good amount of GOOD food and lose weight at 1-2lbs per week why would you not?

Now to make you feel better about that loss.. I have been on plan for over 2 weeks and I have gained 2 lbs! Ill take your 1.2 pounds loss if you want to pass it to me Also remember that there might be week (like me) you dont loose anything and weeks were you will loose a ton.
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #9  

Thanks all!! I have upped my calories to between 1400 and 1500. We will see how this week goes! Thanks for all of the help!!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #10  
Training for my first 10K

S/C/G: 189/153/130

Height: 5"5

Nassmom, I too struggle with how many calories I should be having...I can never get it right...always second guessing myself. Right now I am doing 1400 and trying to burn 2400 a day (I have a GoWear Fit band), so far I have lost 6 lbs in two weeks so we shall see what happens my third week of this new approach!
laurynrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #11  
19Deltawifey

The reason why 1700 seems like a lot of calories is because were so used to starving ourselves and barely eating anything to lose weight. Once we start eating 1700 cals or more to lose weight and were not hungry all the time we start to think maybe were doing it wrong because were never hungry and not having to stick to certain kinds of food. You have to eat to lose weight. 1200 calories wasn't hard at 1st but as time went on I got hungry and all I could do was think about food and then I would binge. Once I upped my calories to 1800-2000 calories I no longer binged because I was never hungry because I was eating enough. Of course the weight is coming off very slow but its a lot easier for me to lose weight without feeling deprived when I eat more calories. This is all my opinion

You should never eat below your BMR, it always sends my body into starvation mode and it never works for me. Im order for me to lose weight I have to eat what might seem like a lot of food to some but its working slowly but surely
Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #12  
19Deltawifey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilla05 View Post
I really dont understand why the 1200 calories a day thing is still going around so much. Everyone thinks that is the magic number to lose weight. I wish someone would start pushing like 1600-1800 as the magic number as most people who need to lose weight were eating WAY more than that per day.
I agree, 1200 seems to be the most popular number on this website