Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #1  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Default Oh my...I screwed up

So I've been at this since October 6th and really havnt had a pity party yet and thought now was a great time! =P

So I went to dinner with my dad today. We ended up at Chili's which I was happy with because they have the "Guiltless Grill" but the more I looked at that portion of the menu the more I didnt want it. 750 calories is alot...so I got to thinking well something else cant be much more than that so I talked myself into a buffalo chicken ranch sandwhich and instead of fries I got veggies. Then on my way home I called my SO and asked him if he would go to the gym with me and he said yes (I dont go to the fitness center alone at night)....so that obviously justified me somehow winding up at Dairy Queen with a soft serve waffle cone.

I got home and looked up the cals and holy moly! Chilis was 1240 and DQ was 420. WOW. So now I felt horribly and was confused on why I just didnt get the buffalo chicken sandwhich on the guiltless menu and why oh why I stopped at DQ.

On top of it, after I got home, Ben suddenly didnt want to go workout. He's tired because he's had a long couple days at work but I wouldnt had got DQ if I knew I wasnt working out. Apparently this has given me permission to binge the rest of the night. Ive now had a fully loaded PB&J, a couple cookies, and carrots with hummus...all in a few hours on top of DQ and Chilis. I could still eat.

To top it all off I had FINALLY reached the 230's. I was 239 this morning and so happy....and Im sure tomorrow morning will remind me of my binge today.

Tomorrows a new day though. I'll eat fantastically and hit the gym first thing in the morning. I wont let myself come up with any more crazy reasonings to continue eating off plan and when I wake up Tuesday morning for my weekly weigh in I will still be in the 230's!

Thanks for listening!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

You're right; tomorrow is a new day. You kind of went off track today and made some unwise choices, but it's done now and can't be undone. When I do this, it helps me to remember how I feel right now--the regret, the wishing I had made better choices, etc. I don't beat myself up over it but I make a mental note, so that the next time I'm tempted to go way off track I will hopefully be able to recall how much I will regret it!

So it sounds like you've got the right attitude--onward and downward! ;-) You're doing really, really well, and this momentary lapse doesn't have to be anything more than that--one evening where you just went kind of nuts. That's all. You're back on track now!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

Don't freak out.. this happens to everyone. Try to eat really good tomorrow and you will be fine. I think recently someone else complained about trying to eat smartly at chili's, but it backfired and they felt horribly guilty. I'd be careful about their offerings and check beforehand. You're going to be ok, but it is a great step to admit mistakes. The other day I had 2 taco plates in one day.. but since then I have been sticking to my diet better than the week before and the food didn't stick to me.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #4  
GoWear Fit All-Star

S/C/G: 280/266.8/150

Height: 5'6"

At least you realize what you did and if you keep focused you won't let it bring you down. That is the hardest thing I deal with. I make a mistake and then let it snowball from 1 meal, to 1 day , to 1 week, and then pretty soon I'm completely off track. It was smart to come her and post and make yourself accountable.
Good luck!
mulder1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

It's so normal to have slips now and then - doesn't matter, just be determined today to stay on program! After a couple of days being back on the program, this will be just a distant memory and you will be more determined than ever not to slip up! You're doing great on your road to health!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #6  
Motivated 1/13/2010

S/C/G: 169/ticker/135

Height: 5'1"

We don't gain weight for what we eat in one day. We gain way for what we eat on the average. The extra calories may cause a very slight bump, less than a pound.

Today is a new day. You can do it!
Teresa2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Howdy,
For me I think of good health in this way
1. Lower the calories for weight loss
2. Exercise for fitness
3. Types of food for nutrition

Though each is important, they are not interchangeable. I do not think, if I eat something high calorie, I can then burn it off by exercising. If exercising causes me to lose pounds, that is a bonus, but not the reason I exercise.

Today, I will be walking 2.5 miles for MLK day with kids and a friend. I am not including that walking in my calorie burn. I will let my body sort that out.

Hope that helps. All the best with whatever you decide.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Height: 5'4"

It's going to be okay. Just remember, every breath we take is a chance to start fresh.

I know completely how you feel. I get caught up in feeling like the events happening in my life control me and then let myself spiral out of control completely. Social events and changes of plans can really throw you off and make you convince yourself that there's nothing left to do but binge.

One thing that might help is trying to re-frame each situation. If your boyfriend decides not to go to the gym with you, what can you do to regain control of that situation for yourself? Instead of giving in to the binge because you'd already "messed up" that day, you might try to think of an exercise you could do at home. It's an imperfect solution (I know I can think of a thousand reasons why it is impossible to fix things once plans have changed) but even if you don't get the workout that you expected, it might help you feel like you haven't lost control.
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Chili's trick: I also find the "guiltless grill" to be kind of depressing: the options may be low calorie, but they aren't very filling to me and they look tiny on those big plates. The bowl of chicken enchilada soup has 400 calories and it comes in a full bowl. It looks like a meal. The bowl of broccoli cheese soup has like 260 calories.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/135.4/132

Height: 5' 4.5

Personally, I think one of the keys to sucessful long term weight loss isn't necessarily being perfect all the time. It's being able to get back on track after we've been less than perfect. Someone once told me that just because you fall off the wagon doesn't mean you have to lay there and get run over by it too. Just get up, dust yourself off and hop right back on that wagon and you'll be fine. Hang in there, today is a new day!
lovingsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Everyone has slip ups. Be glad that you caught it on the first day and didn't let it turn into a week long slide or anything like that. I think of things as the weight loss not being as important as the maintenance and the normal, healthy life I am after. Yes, one bad day may mess with your weight loss for that week, but it will not derail your entire plan or your maintenance for the rest of your life. I hope today is going better for you.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote