Old 01-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #1  

Default Eating before or after cardio

Once, the theory was eat after morning cardio so your body would start on consuming out of the fat cells sooner. Then I heard you should eat before so your body is willing to let go of the fat cells because it doesn't percieve famine. Any ideas on what the current thought is or does it matter?

Thanks,

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

The answer is whatever you prefer. For me, I much prefer eating AFTER my workout. I find that eating before makes it difficult for me to really get going. If I felt as if I had to do something I would probably eat raw almonds.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

yeah it's up to you but I eat after my workout too...if I ate before I don't think I'd get to it in the mornings like I do now. It's just too much to do at 5:30!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I always eat after cardio.

Though, I could see how one's body could perceive it as famine if you are already at a low body fat %. But, I'm no expert. I do know a lot of fitness models recommend eating after... at least the ones whose blogs I read.

Last edited by Taurie; 01-17-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I am a late night eater, so part of my plan is to stop eating entirely at 7 p.m. Thus, when I wake up, I'm REALLY hungry. So, I eat something light when I wake up at 5:30 (think an apple or yogurt) so I don't feel like I'm starving when I exercise, take my daughter to her early morning class, then work out at 6:00 or so. But what I've heard time and time again is that your body needs some protein right after working out so that it will retain the muscle, so I eat my largest meal after I work out. (I actually drink some protein water immediately after, then after about a half an hour, I'll eat something more substantial, as I am always a little queasy right after a work-out.)
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

My understanding is that you should do both. I've read never to exercise on an empty stomach, you'll just burn muscle as opposed to fat. Eat something light like almonds, apple, even a glass of milk, something with carbs to give you energy within an hour of waking up and before you workout. Follow your workout with something high protein to help rebuild your muscles about 30 mins after your workout is completed. I usually drink a glass of milk right after I work out, then wait 30 mins and eat my meal.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote