Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #1  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Default I Ran!!!!

Granted, only for 1 minute, but I ran, properly!!!!! I am just SO buzzing today from this and am really proud of myself.
I don't know why, but ever since I started my journey, seeing people at the gym running on the treadmill has signified to me that these people are really fit. I've NEVER run, other than for a bus But the more time I've spent at the gym the more I've wanted to be able to do it myself.
At first I kept saying to myself that I weighed far too much to even try to run, but I've been slowly upping the speed and incline over the months and knew I was getting fitter. One of my main problems though was that when I walk on a steep incline I have to hold onto the handles in front of me or at the side. I've tried over the months to walk with my hands by my sides more and more and am getting better at it, but it makes it a lot more tiring for me.
I've also tried a few times to run for a minute but wasn't sure what speed or incline I should be using, and my more than generous bust has nearly knocked me out it's so uncomfortable.
So as my weight has reduced that excuse has lessened but the bust hasn't. After reading posts on here about sports bras I finally gave in this week and got myself an Enell. It came yesterday and hubby and I had a good laugh at me getting into it, but the jump test proved that it works.
When I went to the gym this morning I didn't intend at first to try to run, but when it got to my last minute on the treadmill I decided to give it a go. I've been taking note of other runners and saw that they generally run on the flat, so I quickly changed to flat, and upped my speed to 8.5k, and I RAN!!!! I held on for a couple of seconds then thought I really needed to let go, AND I DID!!!! I ran properly for about 50 seconds I think, my heart racing but the feeling was just amazing, to know I'd actually done it is one of the best feelings I've had in years. And there was virtually no bounce either!
I don't know if this speed was too slow or too fast to start with, but the fact that I ran, without holding on, and didn't die from it is just so freaky to me. Six months ago I could barely walk on the treadmill, today I RAN!!!!
I think it might be time to speak to my instructor about something more structured to get me into running, or I might give the C25K a try.
I am so proud of myself and it makes all the hard work worthwhile, I feel stronger than I have in years and I'm not even halfway there yet!
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Me View Post
Granted, only for 1 minute, but I ran, properly!!!!! I am just SO buzzing today from this and am really proud of myself.
I don't know why, but ever since I started my journey, seeing people at the gym running on the treadmill has signified to me that these people are really fit. I've NEVER run, other than for a bus But the more time I've spent at the gym the more I've wanted to be able to do it myself.
At first I kept saying to myself that I weighed far too much to even try to run, but I've been slowly upping the speed and incline over the months and knew I was getting fitter. One of my main problems though was that when I walk on a steep incline I have to hold onto the handles in front of me or at the side. I've tried over the months to walk with my hands by my sides more and more and am getting better at it, but it makes it a lot more tiring for me.
I've also tried a few times to run for a minute but wasn't sure what speed or incline I should be using, and my more than generous bust has nearly knocked me out it's so uncomfortable.
So as my weight has reduced that excuse has lessened but the bust hasn't. After reading posts on here about sports bras I finally gave in this week and got myself an Enell. It came yesterday and hubby and I had a good laugh at me getting into it, but the jump test proved that it works.
When I went to the gym this morning I didn't intend at first to try to run, but when it got to my last minute on the treadmill I decided to give it a go. I've been taking note of other runners and saw that they generally run on the flat, so I quickly changed to flat, and upped my speed to 8.5k, and I RAN!!!! I held on for a couple of seconds then thought I really needed to let go, AND I DID!!!! I ran properly for about 50 seconds I think, my heart racing but the feeling was just amazing, to know I'd actually done it is one of the best feelings I've had in years. And there was virtually no bounce either!
I don't know if this speed was too slow or too fast to start with, but the fact that I ran, without holding on, and didn't die from it is just so freaky to me. Six months ago I could barely walk on the treadmill, today I RAN!!!!
I think it might be time to speak to my instructor about something more structured to get me into running, or I might give the C25K a try.
I am so proud of myself and it makes all the hard work worthwhile, I feel stronger than I have in years and I'm not even halfway there yet!
Oh LOVING ME!!! I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!!

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

I had the same experience with running-- it had been so long that I thought I was UNABLE. I guess I probably was unable-- I used to get exhausted on the treadmill just walking....

Running again makes you feel like a kid again. It's an incredible rush!

YAY YOU!!!!

:c arrot:

Last edited by ubergirl; 01-17-2010 at 11:47 AM.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

Yay! What an amazing feeling! Congratulations!

Until you meet with your trainer and get some advice targeted to you, I'll share the advice I got on these boards when I first started running. Do intervals, and listen closely to your body to avoid injury. I am just getting back into running a little bit, and I do one minute at a time, and change the speed manually. I'm a slow runner, but after a brief warm-up, I usually run for 1 minute at 4.5 mph or 5 mph (I mix it up throughout), then walk for 1 (or 2, if I'm really spent) minutes at 3 or 3.5 mph, and continue for about 15 minutes before doing the elliptical. I'm hoping to build up to more continuous running, though. Before my relapse, I was running 8 miles at a time, and really want to be back there.

Good luck! And congratulations on finding a bra that works for you. Such a big deal.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Congratulations! I bet that is such an amazing feeling!!! Keep up the awesome work. You have come so far and should be really proud of yourself.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #5  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

Congratulations! I just started running last summer and there is nothing else like it! My trainer told me if you run at a 1% incline that most closely approximates running outside. As you progress, you might find this helpful to know - when you start to run longer periods of time you can figure out from your own body when you hit the point of being able to just keep going. For example, for me, for the first 7 1/2 minutes of running (say in a 45 minute run) I feel like "Oh I can't do it" but as soon as I pass the magic 7 1/2 minute mark I feel like I can go forever! Varies from person to person but even my trainer says he hits after 2 1/2 minutes and he does marathons and triathlons! You should be really proud of yourself!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
Yay! What an amazing feeling! Congratulations!

Until you meet with your trainer and get some advice targeted to you, I'll share the advice I got on these boards when I first started running. Do intervals, and listen closely to your body to avoid injury. I am just getting back into running a little bit, and I do one minute at a time, and change the speed manually. I'm a slow runner, but after a brief warm-up, I usually run for 1 minute at 4.5 mph or 5 mph (I mix it up throughout), then walk for 1 (or 2, if I'm really spent) minutes at 3 or 3.5 mph, and continue for about 15 minutes before doing the elliptical. I'm hoping to build up to more continuous running, though. Before my relapse, I was running 8 miles at a time, and really want to be back there.

Good luck! And congratulations on finding a bra that works for you. Such a big deal.
I had been on the fence, but I just ordered an ENELL.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #7  
Fighting The Binges

Ubergirl, the Enell really is amazing. It's expensive which is why I have ummed and ahhed of whether to get one for so long, but after all the recommendations on here I decided to just go for it.
It does take some getting yourself into and feels strange to start with, but is a lot more comfortable than I expected and really does cut the bounce to hardly anything. I started at a 46f and am now a 40f so they're not shrinking yet, and I was sick of waiting for them to.
After just today's workout at the gym my Enell has proved to be worth every penny.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

Congratulations on the running! 1 minute is great; we all start someplace and I think about a minute was all I could do in the beginning.

Actually, the F cup on a 40 inch band is going to be smaller than the F cup on a 46, so I would say that they have shrunk a little! I went from a 38G to a 36G, so it sounds like my girls are the same size but if I were to put on my old bra, the girls would be lost inside that cup. So be encouraged by that!

I ordered an Enell but it didn't work for me. I could barely get fastened into it so I don't think the bra was too big, but when I jumped there was still significant flopping around. I wonder if it was too big? What I do when I run is put on my Glamorise sports bra and then put one of those tight, stretchy sports bras on over that. That seems to keep the chest pretty much under control. I'm really glad that the Enell works for you, but maybe this will help other big-busted girls.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

I strongly recommend C25K! It makes it so much easier! Do you have an ipod, ipod touch, or iphone? Its even better with that. My mom started it and shes made it into a 18 week program instead of 9. So she does each week twice.
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #10  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

That is awesome! Go you!

A good bra makes all the difference, huh? I recently invested in a few good ones and will never go back to the no-support tank style. No more bounce!

It really is amazing what our bodies can do if we just get past the 'I can't do it' mentality.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #11  
Fighting The Binges

I know it sounds crazy and I'm laughing at myself even as I think it, but tonight I keep thinking "did I actually run or did I just dream it" lol. I keep trying to picture myself on the treadmill running but it's so alien to me that I just can't believe that I really did it!
I do a step class on a Monday, but I think I'm going to have to try again on Tuesday and see if it did actually happen or if I'm finally losing my mind!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #12  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

WOW - that is great! I can't even run that fast and I have been walking/jogging for a while and the best I can do is 6 lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #13  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Height: 5'6"

That is awesome! I can't wait to reach that point..Walking alone kills me now..lol

Keep it up girl!
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #14  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

That is awesome news!! I'm hoping to get to a level of fitness where I'd do the C25K program. Keep us posted.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #15  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

Congratulations!!!! Way to go!!!
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote