Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #1  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

Default Weight Trend... curious if anyone else has noticed?

I don't know if I'm making something out of nothing, but I find this interesting...

I weigh myself in the morning after I tinkle and before I take a shower. That's the weight I go with for the day and on Sunday's it's my official weight.

Then I eat breakfast and hit the gym. When I come home, I tinkle, weigh, and shower again. (Weighing this second time is out of curiousity... I don't expect anything drastically lower.) I've noticed the past 2 mornings that the weight I had after my breakfast and workout is the EXACT weight - right down to the 1/10th of a pound - that I'll be the next morning.

Has anyone else tried this? It's really interesting! Surely it's some sort of fluke, but ithen I wonder if I'm on to something...?
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #2  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Hmmm, that's interesting. My weight fluctuates a lot during the day, and I usually weigh a little more in the evenings after my workout/eating. I don't think it was ever the exact same as the following morning. Kinda cool though.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

First off, you shower...then hit the gym...then shower again? Really? Sorry if that's too personal. I'm a little bit teasing you.

Second, I did some weight training this morning and when I reweighed myself I was two pounds heavier. We'll see if that holds true for tomorrow. I'll be ok if it is. I know the muscles retain water to repair themselves.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #4  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

So one of my big mysteries in life is why when I weight at night just before going to bed, I weigh more than I do 8 hours later when I get up? No other differences - bathroom or clothes? It's usually at least a lb.

My only theory is that our bodies digest the food in our system but still, wouldn't it weigh the same?

Anyone know the answer to that?
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Beachbreeze, I am not an expert by any means, but I think dehydration also plays a role. You haven't had any water while you're sleeping, presumably (I wake up with a dry throat during the winter and sip water, but it's a minimal amount) so your body weighs less in the morning because you've lost some of that water weight.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #6  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

My weight varies... sometimes when I get home at night I am the same as I was in the morning... sometimes more... sometimes less.

And I find that I can weigh myself, even after going #1 or 2, and hop back on the scale and EVERY SINGLE TIME is it always the same. Never goes down even .1 of a lb. So who knows...
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #7  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

thistoo - that sounds plausible. Thanks!

SNMomof1 - so, you weigh less right after you exercise again? I usually weigh more. Isn't it funny how we analyze this?
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #8  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBreeze2010 View Post
SNMomof1 - so, you weigh less right after you exercise again? I usually weigh more. Isn't it funny how we analyze this?
I'm always up by a few pounds after working out too...
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #9  
Ready for Change

Eliana - Yep I shower twice. I don't want to be a stink bug. The first shower is get my hair clean and shave. The second shower, I pamper myself. I use some sort of good smelling soap, lotion up, brush my teeth again, etc. It's a great way to cool down, too.

Beach - I do it as a "hmm... I wonder". I didn't weigh myself today after my shower because I was bummed about gaining 1lb from yesterday... even though I KNOW it's water retention because I ate some salty food and didn't drink enough water. Obviously the scale gets punished if my weight is a little off. I'm always down from my AM weight, though.

Kae - I once weighed myself before and after going #2 as a joke, and I didn't loose any then either.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #10  
Ready for Change

Btw I've always been curious at WHEN you lose weight. Like is there a certain part of the day that your body just becomes lighter as your fat disappears? Or is it a gradual thing?

I'd google but I don't even know how to phrase that question for something to pop up!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBreeze2010 View Post
So one of my big mysteries in life is why when I weight at night just before going to bed, I weigh more than I do 8 hours later when I get up? No other differences - bathroom or clothes? It's usually at least a lb.

My only theory is that our bodies digest the food in our system but still, wouldn't it weigh the same?

Anyone know the answer to that?
when you weigh with food you just ate, the scale is measuring the actual weight of that food. But 1 lb of food doesn't necessarily equal 3500/1 lb of weight gain (not that it's ever THAT direct anyway! lol!) But think if you ate a pound of brocoli vs. a pound of french fries. Once your body has finished digesting all that food and burning it off (and hopefully, since you are in a calorie deficit, burning off some of your body fat too), then the weight loss will show up on the scale.

Most people weigh 2+ lbs more at the end of a day than they do first thing in the morning. I know this because my Wii Fit told me so this morning! lol!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #12  
Ready for Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
Most people weigh 2+ lbs more at the end of a day than they do first thing in the morning. I know this because my Wii Fit told me so this morning! lol!
ROFLMAO!!! That's a quote for the history books.