South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Planning for our trip

We are going to Washington for the weekend - I'm keeping myself on Phase 1 until we get back on Tuesday, because I don't feel confident I'll be able to find good carbs at the restaurants we will be going to while there. I've decided we'll eat breakfast in our hotel room, and I'll carry snack for us through the day. I've requested a fridge for our room. I bought all the supplies already. Here's my plan:

Breakfast:
non fat yogurt/1 hard boiled egg/can of V8

Snacks (while walking around)
cheese sticks, almonds, if we stop I'll get a ff wet cappucino

For a treat I did buy some of those green bean snacks from TJ's to enjoy while hubby and I have a 'beverage' in our room before going out to eat.

Any other suggestions for me? Thanks Ladies!
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #2  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

you are more diligent than I am! How can you boil an egg in a hotel room? LOL

I am going to do veggies like celery and cucumbers for my trip as well as making some roasted garbonzo beans for the car trip to NY this weekend. when I go out to eat this weekend (including to the infamous Junior's restaurant known for their cheesecake, which I luckily have no taste for), I plan on doing a fish and double steamed veggies wherever I go.

Have fun! Drink lots of water!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I have found that many restaurants will substitute extra veggies for instead of the starch. I know you're planning your breakfast, but when I go out for breakfast they'll usually agree to substitute a green salad for the toast and potatoes that come with my favorite omelet.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 01-14-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #4  

I'll boil the eggs at home - we are driving and will bring a cooler. I have to bring juice boxes etc. for my son so we already had to deal with food. Celery sticks are another great idea.

Jenn - I live right by Juniors! I'm pretty sure they do a sugar free cheesecake. Are you staying in Brooklyn? Best pizza in the world is in Brooklyn!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #5  

Jenn - you're coming to Brooklyn and we're going to Washington!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

Last year when I had a long, successful stint on PH 2, I ate our more than once when I couldn't avoid it. I found what Debbie said to be very true - everyone was willing to double veggies and skip the starch. I am much better to not even have temptation on my plate. And if the people you are with don't mind, ask for no bread basket. I ate fish most of my times out, but you should be able to find good options at most places. Just focus on how much work you have already done and how proud you'll feel to come back from your trip without gaining!

I did resort to SB protein bars in the past when I traveled. Even thought they have the SB name, they are too processed so I usually avoid them otherwise. But they have lots of protein and fiber to tide me over between meals if out and about. Check the labels if you buy any other brand - go for the most fiber and protein with the least added sugar. But you may decide this is venturing too far off plan for you.

I have also traveled with homemade beef jerky. Jerky isn't on the program but I think it is because of the sugar, but you can leave it out if you make it at home.

Have a great trip!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Can you get a room with a microwave or does the hotel have one for morning stuff (I know the Marriot usually does). I like the egg casseroles from Kalyn's kitchen - very filling and easy to reheat. I love dry roasted edamames, individual hummus containers, sugar snap peas, & grape tomatoes too.
I've had similar experiences to Debbie. Most no-fast food restaurants are very accommodating if you tell them what you need.

Great planning ahead. Have fun
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #8  

I'm not worried about subbing veggies for starch when eating out, that's why I plan to stay on Phase 1. I'm just not sure the places we will go would have brown rice, etc. My two weeks on Phase 1 would normally be done on Monday am, but I'm extending it until we get home just because I know I can stay on Phase 1 while we travel more easily than introducing Phase 2.

Now, not to be flip, but I am serious...anyone have good suggestions for Phase 1 compliant dishes at Cheesecake Factory? That is my FAVORITE restaurant and we are going there on Monday night after the Air and Space Museum. Not so concerned about fat, just want to avoid the carbs. No, I don't plan to eat dessert, I'm talking about entrees/apps.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Is this useful:
http://calorielab.com/news/2007/07/2...its-rochester/

This one might be more helpful:
http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutriti...secake-factory

Last edited by CyndiM; 01-14-2010 at 03:00 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #10  

Oh, how I wish you had not posted that info, Cindy!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #11  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

MMc: I am going to be in Brooklyn at Junior's on Sunday! Talk about temptations! But I am planning ahead!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmckellen View Post
Now, not to be flip, but I am serious...anyone have good suggestions for Phase 1 compliant dishes at Cheesecake Factory? That is my FAVORITE restaurant and we are going there on Monday night after the Air and Space Museum. Not so concerned about fat, just want to avoid the carbs. No, I don't plan to eat dessert, I'm talking about entrees/apps.
I have had a wonderful salmon salad there. Brought my own dressing. There are several salads that could be adjusted by taking off an item or two. Their salads are huge!

Last edited by murphmitch; 01-14-2010 at 06:21 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #13  

LOL if I am going to the Cheesecake Factory I doubt I will have a salad. Maybe an appetizer with no carbs.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #14  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

you guys are definitely going to help me stay motivated on my trips!!! Vegas will be the hardest, as, honestly- I suppose I can't say not drinking is hard- it inevitable for me- I will do it while I am there- I plan to keep 98% of my food in check with exception of the one BIRTHDAY dinner I enjoyed so much last time we were there- we are eating there with friends- but I plan to stay OP, with exception of alcohol 4days. however chicago in the near future- myfriend who is going with me told me no diet Sh1t while we're there... thats fine ;0) Im gonna be sneaky and and just order wisely and make my choices with my exceptions it sure is hard while on vaca too- but I can't use that as an excuse- I would go on vaca every month if I could and I do tend to go every few so if I always blow and gain I wlil never get anywhere!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #15  

Rikki - what Phase are you on? You are allowed 1-2 glasses of wine a night on Phase 2 (I believe). Luckily wine is all I drink so it's not hard for me to give up beer. I know women who drink Kahlua or Baileys on the Rocks. That would be a problem!