Old 08-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Mock Cornbread with Spicy Beef Casserole

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees

Cornbread:
1 can 15.5 oz. can Great Northern Beans (drained & rinsed)
4 large eggs
1 T cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA!)
2 T olive oil
1 teaspoon Tabasco
1/3 C Splenda(1/4 C if you do not like sweet cornbread)

Meat Mixture:
1 lb cooked lean ground beef (drained)
1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles (DRAINED!)
1t cumin
2T chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 T diced canned jalepenos
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 red sweet pepper, chopped
1 cup shredded low-fat or fat-free cheddar cheese

Combine all of the cornbread ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into a greased 9x9 or a 8x8 pan and bake in a preheated 400 oven for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile combine meat mixture.

Remove mock cornbread from oven and sprinkle with a 1/3 cup cheese. Top with the meat mixture and sprinkle with another 1/3 cup cheese.

Pour the rest of the bean batter on top of the meat mixture and top with 1/3 cup cheese.

Bake casserole for 30-45 minutes, until mock cornbread is cooked through and has turned a golden brown. Serve with a dollop of fat-free sour cream.

This "cornbread" would be great with chili also

Last edited by RenoGal; 08-22-2009 at 10:36 PM.
RenoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm intrigued by the idea of mock cornbread. Have you made this recipe, RenoGal? It sounds like it would be a great dish for Fall weather.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #3  

Yes made it.. loved it.. hubby is new to the SB idea so cornbread being his favorite.. he was totally fooled..

yeah a new believer..

I did find the meat to be a little dry if you use extra lean.. so I do not totally drain the Rotel tomatoes 100% leave a little juice to moisten..
RenoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

OK, I used just the cornbread portion of this. I cooked it all at once. I used somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 cup of splenda because I got frustrated with opening packets forever.

It was a bit too much splenda for me but this was really, really good. I didn't include the jalepeno as DW doesn't care for it but wanted to taste it.

It was really good.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

Here's my question for Jenn and anyone else making this or similar "mock" carbs - does it taste enough like the real thing that you crave the real stuff? I'm afraid I would have less control with a bread-like substance
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Does it really have a "corn-bread" texture? I'm craving the texture of breads since I started avoiding gluten (the whole-grain gluten-free breads I've tried have been horrible, and outrageously expensive).

Last edited by kaplods; 01-12-2010 at 10:51 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #7  

You know what? It does have a bread like texture -- a little softer. Kinda like eating the middle out of the bread if that makes sense. I am a CARB ADDICT and while potatoes are my real downfall, bread can be too. It did not, mixed with the spice of my turkey chili, set off any cravings. Again, next time I'm going to make it less sweet and add the jalepenos.

Results may vary though!

Last edited by jenne1017; 01-13-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Good morning, What a great idea. I am anxious to try this. Jenn when you baked just the cornbread did you use a baking dish or pan, was it done at 20 minutes? Linda
michigangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #9  

Linda-

I baked it in a 9x9 greased pan (I used I can't believe it's not...on a paper towel) and I left it for 23 minutes total and it was done and nice and brown. It was sticky on the bottom, despite greasing it up. I cut it into 9 servings.

For those keeping track I did the breakdown:
105 calories and 5 grams of fat per slice

Last edited by jenne1017; 01-13-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

We had this for dinner tonight. It was excellent. Kaplods, it doesn't have the grainy texture of regular cornbread, but it does have a generally sweet cornbready flavor. Dh described the dish as sort of a mexican shepherd's pie. It was really good. I'm guessing it will be better day two, as things of this nature usually are.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #11  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

also, I used a scant 1/4 cup of Splenda and found it plenty sweet enough. I also added a can of diced green chilies. yuuuuuuum!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #12  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I am wondering if the "cornbread" would cook on top of the "meat" mixture (I only put 'meat' in quotations because I'd use some soy substitute.) in a cast iron skillet? My cousin made a recipe once that was kind of like chili with cornbread on top and it all baked in a cast iron skillet and I remember it being really good. I might try it and report back.

I also think I will use agave nectar in place of the Splenda. I used to use honey in place of sugar in regular corn bread and we all liked that.

UPDATE: We just had this for dinner tonight and it was a huge hit! Tom had seconds and all the kids finished their plates. It was so yummy!

I used a can of regular diced tomatoes in place of the Rotel tomatoes, and I used a small can of diced green chilis in place of the jalapeno. I did not add Tabasco. I used agave in place of the Splenda and used 1/4 cup.

For the filling part, I used soy crumbles in place of the meat. I added a small can of diced portobellos. Next time I'm going to add a drained and rinsed can of kidney beans.

I baked this in an 8x8 pan because my 9x9 pan was dirty, and the 8x8 pan was definitely not big enough. I have a pan that is bigger and deeper than my 9x9 pan and I think next time I will double the "cornbread" and use that pan. We really, really loved the "cornbread" part!

This is definitely getting added to the rotation.

Last edited by tomandkara; 01-22-2010 at 12:46 PM.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #13  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I used agave and a very thick veggie chili in the middle. It was very good. I will definitely play with this recipe more.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #14  

I made this tonight. I added some mushrooms (portobellos) and to hide the zucchini, I used a grater so it was all teeny tiny. Heh. I sauteed both these veggies first to release the water.

Wonderlin - no I don't think it would. But I made it and it's two of us and I'd say it makes 4-6 servings.

I didn't love this 100%. Maybe 80%? It had a weird consistency. And got mushy fast - I even drained everything and it was still very wet. I wonder how it will re-heat, if at all.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Okay, I just made the cornbread and I just used a 9x9 pan sprayed w/ butter flavored non-stick spray. I have to say, it was very good. I was pleasantly surprised!!! And not only that, but it was VERY easy to make and since my Ninja has a pour spout on the larger container, I was able to just pour my batter on over into the pan.

Next time, however, I will either decrease the amount of cumin or leave it out completely. I don't so much mind the taste of cumin, but I absolutely HATE the smell and found it a little overpowering. I might try a teaspoon instead next time.

Thanks for the recipe...it'll be a keeper for us when we have soup, for sure!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote