Old 01-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Did daily weighing help stop the obsessing?

I obsess about the stupid scale and dream about stepping on it. Seriously, I'm not sleeping well at night. It's ALL I think about. I try really hard to weigh in only weekly.

So for those of you who weigh in daily, do you find it helped you to obsess less? I've read positive things from daily weighers so I'm considering it. It's the opposite of what makes sense.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You'll get used to weighing weekly. Lots of people do. If you want to weigh every day, that's OK too, but the danger there is that you'll see numbers going up and down from day to day and become discouraged because it looks like nothing good is happening.

Sounds to me like the less you weigh the better, if you get this obsessed over it... The important thing is to stay on your program.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I think we all obsess differently. Weighing daily removes the possibility for disappointment for me. There are no bad surprises, I pretty much already know what the scale is going to say on my official weigh in day (I record my weight daily, but consider Monday my official weigh-in day to help me see the bigger picture).

Last edited by CLCSC145; 01-11-2010 at 01:57 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #4  
Metamorphōsis

S/C/G: 220/ticker/117

Height: 5'4"

I weigh weekly so I don't get discouraged. It's all too easy to just give up for the day because the scale is up anyway!
Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #5  
since 10/23/07

S/C/G: 286/ticker/136

Height: 5'5"

I weigh daily and record weekly. If I get away from the scale too long I have a tendency to drift away with my weight. Putting myself on that scale everyday is my reminder of what I have to do that day -- healthy eating and healthy moving and drinking. I call it my exclamation point to start the day.
jay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

A lot of daily weighers have said two things. 1. It helps keep them in check. I don't need that. I'm in check regardless. 2. It helps to see a general trend and helps you to see that daily fluctuations are normal. This I could use.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I generally weigh daily, but only record my weight once a week.
If I weigh myself every morning it really DOES help to keep me in check. It helps because I see where I am and I see from that number that I still have a lot of work to do. Its my daily reminder to stay on track.
I don't make a big deal of daily fluctuations- which is why I only record my weight once a week.
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #8  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I like to weigh daily. I've accepted the fact that there will be day to day fluctuations. If I see a gain, I say "hey, its a fluctuation and normal and I'll see a loss in a couple of days". If I see a loss, I say "BOOOOYA!". So, its a win-win situation

I'd try daily weighing for 1 week and see how it goes. If seeing a gain totally depresses you and ruins your day, you should go back to weekly weighing. I even know some people who think weekly weighing is too much and just weigh in once a month.

As is most things dealing with weight loss, there is no single right answer.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5.5"

I am having trouble with the scale part of losing weight too. I weigh once a week in the morning and I get super nervous the night before. Even if I have stayed on plan all week I feel like I did before the CPA exam. I have been considering not weighing at all. I know that most people say it is much better to weigh daily in order to keep yourself honest but I just hate the stress it causes me.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

I'm addicted to weighing daily! It helps me monitor my progress. If I weigh in at the end of the week, I don't really know how I've been doing on a day by day basis. Seeing the scale go down (even if it's a small amount) is the reward I need to know I am doing something right. If I gain I know I need to work harder!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I weigh daily too....your weight fluctuates and it's normal for it to do it. If I would record daily you'd see how it goes up and down with an overall downward trend.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #12  
Calorie counter

I think I do need to see the daily fluctuations. When I weigh in, I sometimes second guess myself and think that maybe that weight was just a fluke day and how would I know if it was? Higher or lower, maybe it was a fluke.

Ok...I'm encouraged. I get to weigh tomorrow...and every day. But I draw the line at hourly weighing! LOL!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I weigh once a week - once in a while - twice a week. My eating gets disordered when I weigh more than that. I think there isn't one right way to approach weighing. It needs to be what works for YOU.

I too get nervous the day before I weigh - I think it's the anticipation and hoping.€€

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-11-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #14  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizR View Post
I weigh once a week in the morning and I get super nervous the night before. Even if I have stayed on plan all week I feel like I did before the CPA exam.
Me too! And I try to drink tons of water the day before. Silly! If I'm accountable every day and not just the day before, probably that's better.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

One one hand, I think weighing at least once a day, has helped me be less obsessive.

All my life, I've been told that anything other than "once a week" was obsessive, but I don't think it's the frequency of using the scale that matters at all (you could weight 50 times a day and have your head on straight, and you could weigh once a year and be messed up over it).

It's what the scale means to you, that matters. If you imagine the scale as a person (for me, it would be a she, so I'll use that) - would she be your friend, a frenemy, your arch nemesis or your stalker or stalking victim. Would she be a positive, neutral, or negative influence on your life? Who has the power in the relationship? Is it you or she?

I went through an "I'm going to weigh myself whenever the urge strikes," and I was weighing up to a dozen times a day (after meals, after potty breaks, after drinking lots of water, first thing in the morning, last thing at night, after restaurant meals, during PMS and TOM).... and I started tracking the weight (recording only the morning weight, generally).

On one hand, I think the overkill of the experience did make me fear the scale less, much like immersion therapy for phobias - if you're afraid of rodents - go buy a pet rat and take him wherever you go (or more intensely, if you're afraid of spiders go sit in a room full of spiders until you're not afraid anymore).

But I think the bigger part of the equation comes from what you say to yourself and how you feel before and after you step on the scale. Is the scale determining whether to be happy or miserable for the rest of the day/week... Do you let the scale tell you if you're a valuable person or not. Do you punish or reward yourself primarily according to the scale.....

or is the scale just a tool that helps you monitor your progress (if it's only a tool to you, it doesn't matter whether you weight once a year or six times a day. Use it in the way that it helps you the most).

Last edited by kaplods; 01-11-2010 at 03:05 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote