Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default Stressed & Depressed

First some back ground... I'm a well controled bipolar for the most part. I guess what I mean by that is that I have some good meds at the current time and I take them like clockwork.

Life was stressful but ok... now we find out my husbands unemployment insurance has actually been cut off after originally being told he had a 20 week extension. This means we're living on my menial salary at a job that I hate but can't leave. I know he's been looking for work but there's just nothign out there right now He's been unemployed since the spring. I just don't know what we're going to do.

He's going to sell his truck and buy a beater, he won't let me do the same with my car which I'm kind of thankful for even though it's only one step up from a beater. He does odd jobs here and there, does some computer work, a bit of car work... but it's mostly for friends and we can't take much from them. He's trying to sell some stuff but it's tough, besides, who wants to buy a power boat and a compound bow in the middle of winter?

I'm just so stressed and unhappy, all I want to do is cry and stuff my face. I was going to work out but my legs are still killing me from the fitness test I failed yesterday. I'm really dreading going to see my parents tomorrow because I wear my heart on my sleeve and they can read me like a book. They're going to know something is wrong and I don't want to add to their problems, they're both disabled and already worried to death about my sister and niece. I have a horrible stress headache and I hurt all over. I want to crawl into bed and curl up in a ball.

What else can I do to alleviate stress??? I can't concentrate or sit still but at the same time I can hardly move.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow okay it sounds like the two of you have a LOT on your plate right now- take a deep breath- cry it out if you have to- and all I can say is maybe it's time for hubby to lower his job looking standards- even if he's flipping burgers it's better than nothing if unemployment is out of the question. I washed dishes for four months just to make money- and I have a master's degree! It just shows how terrible things are jobwise

I wouldn't sell the car if it has no payments- what if you buy another car and it ends up having issues? Then you'll waste money repairing it.

How about checking with an employment agency in the area? Even if he can just get day jobs- at least it's work. My friend will go do a day job here and there when she's really strapped for cash.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Beerab has a lot of good ideas. My husbands salary doesn't quite cover our bills and I do just about anything I can to make extra money. I clean houses, I make chocolate, I do bookwork for a local beauty salon. I don't really want to find anything full time because we have young kids and my husband agree that it's important for me to be home when they get home from school and to drive them to their functions.
The only thing I can add is to talk to your doctor. I am also bipolar and I know how tough it can be. I am also on good meds right now that are helping me tremendously and I also take them like clockwork. I don't want to go backwards. Maybe your doc can add something to get throught this stressful period. Some will, some won't, but I think that adding a med would be better than sliding into that downward spiral. Relaxation exercises are great, but they only go so far. Best of luck.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #4  
Gotta run!

Hubby would have lined up a lower paying job if we had known the unemployment money was going to run out but we were told it would be extended. He did try getting a lower paying job and one point and they wouldn't hire him because he was over qualified. So frustrating!!!

He won't let me sell the car which is ok, it woudln't get much and I couldn't deal with a car that breaks down all the time. I can put in oil, washer fluid and gas but other then that my knowledge of cars could fit onto the head of a pin. I wish he didn't have to sell the truck but I don't know what else to do, a clunker will probably end up costing us more in the long run. Not to mention we're still paying off the truck.

He won't let me get another job either, I have some other health issues that make me tired and I help to take care of my disabled parents. He's trying to sell things but nothing is selling. I couldn't stand any more medication... we can't afford it either.

Does anyone else eat more when they're depressed??? That's all I want to do right now.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #5  
Gotta run!

I'm ok... sorry to have bothered you guys. I'm more stressed then anything and I guess I kind of freaked out when I learned about the unemployment drying up.

Bleh... life just sucks sometimes!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

You are NOT bothering anyone. That's what this forum is for - to be able to vent and maybe find some help. I know how stress and worry can affect you and make everything more difficult. It's a domino effect. It starts with a couple of things and just eats into everything else.
I wish I had more help to offer you. I wish there was some way I could help. I sure get how expensive the meds can get. We have fairly decent prescription coverage, but name brand stuff is still hard to afford. And if there is generic available, it won't pay for name brand. I guess that's okay but sometimes I don't like what I read about generics. Oh well...
Again, I'm sorry I couldn't help but feel free to vent anytime you need to. I'll always listen.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Girl we are here to vent with each other! You aren't bothering us at all (feel free to pm).

Honestly he might have to dumb down his resume a bit to get a job- OR state at the job he's willing to work the job even if he is overqualified. I did that for a job once- I actually got it. Seriously a job flipping burgers is better than none at all.

I am an emotional eater- so I tend to overeat when depressed- but I have to tell myself food won't make the problem go away and in the long run it'll make me feel worse!

Are there any local employment agencies nearby? Try googling "employment agencies" and find one in your area- they do help a lot.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #8  
Gotta run!

Thanks guys I just feel like crying today. I couldn't get motivated to work out last night, my legs are still killing me from a fitness test, that was my excuse. So instead I finished off 2 partial bags of chips and 2 chocolates. And I mean bolted them down, then I sat on the couch and felt miserable. I used to be a huge emotional eater but I've been better lately. This was the first time in a long time.

I hate venting, everyone has their own problems, no one needs me to dump mine all over them. In my family I always have to be the strong one, the positive one. It's my self assigned job, but the rest of my family has bigger problems then I do. Both of my parents are disabled, my Dad is dying, one sister is a total idiot and a waste of skin, she has a daughter who is turning out to be the same as her. The other has 2 kids an unemployeed husband and is loosing their house. All of this is really hard on my very sensitive disabled Mom.

He's been using a head hunter, it's turned up a few leads but nothing has happened so far. It's a good idea to dumb down his resume though, I'll mention that to him tonight.

Meds are so expensive, even getting the generic brand. I'm on some others as well for another health problem. I'm thinking about taking them every other day to stretch them out. That may lower the dose a little but I should be ok.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 124/119/110

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Jam View Post
I'm ok... sorry to have bothered you guys. I'm more stressed then anything and I guess I kind of freaked out when I learned about the unemployment drying up.

Bleh... life just sucks sometimes!
NO you are NOT bothering us!!!!!!!!
DogMomNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #10  
Gotta run!

I am stressed to the max! I'm going to pull out my hair and I feel like carp! My sinuses are killing me, I have a serious stress headache, my back hurts and my throat is irritated.

I almost had an anxiety attack in the grocery store tonight over what size of peanut butter to buy! And to top it off my husband and I can hardly say a civil word to each other, we're both totally on edge.

Someone shoot me.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #11  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

do not try to stretch out your meds, it will hurt you in the long run!!! talk to your dr... maybe he has samples on hand????

take care
jamie
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'6

many drug companies have patient assistance programs... google needy meds. I think they have info on alot of the companies programs. Good luck!

terry
FukuokaFan is offline   Reply With Quote