Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #1  
I'm a loser!

S/C/G: 320/279.7/200

Height: 5'7"

Question I've never done this before.

I've been reading a lot of posts today. I'm amazed at what you have all accomplished. I'm glad I'm here.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for your warm welcome. It's nice to feel welcomed.

To be honest, I've never tried to lose weight before. I'm entering into a new world. I have some questions...

I have an eating plan that I and my doctor created together. It's a basic healthy eating plan that is basically a low GI type diet with a few restrictions on dairy and grains as I don't react well to them... I love them but it makes me..... well it isn't pleasant lol. What types of plans do you follow?

I feel like I am eating all the time... does anyone else feel this way? Can I really lose weight like this?

I've noticed a lot of you, for lack of a better description, go through an identity crises as you lose weight. I guess it's kind of a time when you become more uncomfortable in your skin or you don't see yourself how you really are. How do you handle this? What keeps you going? I am completely comfortable in my skin, I'm worried as I change I might not be.

What are your favorite kinds of exercise? I bought a walk away the pounds dvd and a belly dance for fitness dvd. Any other suggestions?

I'm sure I have a million more questions but, I'll stop for now!

Thank you!

Misty
Imanadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Hello again!

Are you allergic to gluten? I'm just curious because it kind of sounds like you are. I know many people who got a new lease on life cutting gluten from their diets.

Personally, I don't have any body issues with losing weight. I have body issues hanging onto this fat. If I have any body issues, it'll be the kind where I still feel fat even after I lose everything. I know when I weighed 135 before I thought I was fat. But now I think I was an idiot back then, so hopefully I can yell at myself when I get there.

I am not exercising because I took that route before and made everything too hard. My way of simplifying has been to focus on the dieting first and add exercise when/if I hit a plateau and/or when I want to start toning. But when I was exercising I loved swimming and got to the point where I was swimming two miles a day in a little less than two hours. I was lifting some pretty impressive weights and I regularly did an hour on the elliptical alternating between that and interval training which was insane for 20 minutes. It did wonders for my BP but not so much for the weight. My weight was stubborn, probably because I was doing to much on not enough calories.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #3  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

I'm also a calorie counter. For my weight and how much I want to loose a week, my target is to eat 1507 calories a day. So far I've only hit one day where I've actually eaten that much. Normally I'm right around 1300 or so. My minimum is 1200.

I just left my first visit at Curves, and they have a meal plan where you eat 1200 calories a day for 2 weeks, then 1500 for 6 weeks, and 2000 for 2 weeks. (I think I got the timeline right.) When it's over, you cycle again. This is to keep your metabolism going. Once I hit a plateau or feel I'm not loosing the way I want, then I'll use this system to get things going again.

My starter for working out was the Wii Fit Plus. It gradually broke me into getting my body moving and showed me (an estimate) of how many calories I was burning. It actually made it pretty fun, too. Then I started the Couch 2 5 K program on the treadmill. I have NEVER been a runner so it's taking me longer to "build up" to the first week's pace. I'm a week into my "new life" and today I joined Curves. It's a 30min workout 3x a week. I plan to go 5x a week and just be easy on myself 2 of the 5 days, as per their recommendations.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #4  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Hello! Welcome! I know what you mean like you feel like youre eating all the time. I do too but thankfully what Im eating now is fruits, yogurt and other healthier snacks and I have them more spread out. Before I was eating like 3 candy bars in one sitting and then a few hours later gobble down a whole big bag of chips. So instead of 500 calories in one short sitting I spread those 500 out through more than half of my day. So I feel like Im eating more but Im actually eating less. Right now Im just trying to stay under 1300 calories and go to the gym 3 days a week and do 20 mins on the elliptical machine which I will increase over time. Best of luck with everything! You can do it!!!
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #5  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Hello and welcome!

It sounds like you are already making fantastic decisions! Seeing your doctor first, coming up with a healthy food plan, beginning to exercise and "feeling comfortable in your own body" are where it's at. Keep going!!

We post things that are concerning us as it comes, but I wouldn't get too bogged down with what might happen. You'll know if it happens and if it does, come here and chat about it. These women will help you through it. For now, keep reading and doing what you're doing. You will see some great results before you know it!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Welcome Imana. Low GI foods are HUGE for me. HUGE.

You say you ARE comfortable in your own skin. Then, why do you want to lose weight???

I was tired of lots of things. I was tired of being bigger than my husband. I was tired of being the biggest girl in the room. I was tired of doing the 50-yard dash from robe to the neighborhood swimming pool. I was tired of being winded when I climbed the stairs in my own home. I skipped going to my doctor because I didn't want to get on the scale. I was tired of shopping for something that FIT rather than what I liked. I was tired of putting myself at greater risk of many cancers, diabetes, high blood pressure and a myriad of of health afflictions.

So, no I was NOT comfortable in my own skin. Identity crisis? I don't know if I would call it that. I wanted and WANT better for ME. Ultimately, that's all we have in the end--ourselves.

ETA: Walking is a great idea. I took bellydancing last year--I enjoyed it and also like Shimmy on FIT TV. I run about 5 days a week now and tool around with DVD's as the mood hits. Also, I am getting into cycling. I like my run and would like to continue to incorporate an active lifestyle. For instance, I decided to rake my own yard this year rather than hiring it out. I like the idea of cycling to the store rather than always driving it. Etc. I want a lifestyle that is simple, doable and has the longevity to last me from now on. Activity is wonderful for overall mental and physical health. However, remember that for weightloss food is KEY!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-07-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Even though I was morbidly obese for a long time, I wouldn't say that losing weight has caused me to become UNCOMFORTABLE in my own skin.

Just the opposite. I feel MORE like myself.

In my twenties I used to play tennis, windsurf, ride horses, hike, swim... you name it. I was sporty.

By my mid-forties, my only exercise was walking to the mailbox.

I thought it was age... but I was totally wrong.

Getting back in to shape just makes me feel more like my "real" self.

My sister-in-law, who has known me since I was a little girl, saw me recently-- the first time since my weight loss-- and she said, "that's the ubergirl I've always known..."

It's like you shed a skin, and yes, there are some adjustments, but those adjustments are pretty much ALL GOOD.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Sounds like you got a good plan in place I do weight watchers with a huge emphasis on the simply filling foods (lean protiens, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains). I eat all of the time....in fact I'm a grazer As long as you know your limits then it's all good!

I wouldn't say I've gone through an identity crisis....it's more like a coming into your own kind of thing. Sure there are things you have to get used to but change is sometimes hard no matter how secure & confident you are/were before.

My favorite exercise is running...if someone would have told me that when I first started I would have laughed in their face I also like to swim, yoga, pilates, belly dancing and pole dancing! As far as my fav fitness video it would have to be the Pick Your Level Pilates with Ellen Barrett (or anything with her in it...she's awesome!)
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #9  
No Words Too Honest

S/C/G: 290/165/160

Height: 5'8"

Greetings!

I have Crohn's Disease, so I follow a low-fiber/low-residue diet religiously. The irony of the situation is that back in April (when I started losing weight), I followed the well-known suggestion of incorporating more whole wheat, grains and fiber in my diet. They were, after all, healthier for me.

I could not have been more mistaken.

Not only did my new plan make things worse, but it actually put me in the hospital. Fortunately, since I've switched to white breads and no grains, seeds or raw vegetables, it's been such a relief...and I've also continued to lose weight despite the dreaded "white bread."

On a side note about exercise...I love a basic walk/jog routine outside, but I also enjoy my Wii Fit and a new Cardio Kick Boxing DVD I recently purchased. I'm in that stage where I'm working on toning, as well. Resistance bands are excellent, as I'm not a gym-type personality and I don't have room for an exercise machine.

Take care.
Forgotten Quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #10  
I'm a loser!

S/C/G: 320/279.7/200

Height: 5'7"

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I don't know that I am allergic to gluten but I suppose there is a good possibility considering how my body reacts to it. I will have to bring that up to my doctor.

I am going to have to look up some info on that Couch 2 5k program. I just bought my husband a treadmill and I see no reason why I shouldn't be giving it a try myself. Also it sounds like a few of you like the Wii Fit as a starting point....hmmmm maybe a Wii is in my future.

As for why I am doing this when I am happy with me now... I met and recently married one of the most amazing men I have ever known. He has a disability called CMT, a form of MD, and it is degenerative. Although he doesn't need a lot of help now, as we age he will require more and more assistance.

In September I was in a Jeep accident that crushed my hand and partially amputated the tip of my pinky and mostly amputated my thumb (it has been reattached). This will end up leaving my hand partially disabled. I am my husbands hands in many many instances and it has broken my heart that I cannot do as much for him as I could before.

This started me thinking about our future and I made the decision that even though I am relatively healthy, if I don't lose weight I won't stay that way and I want to be the best I can so that I can help him as he needs it. It's hard to put into words exactly where I am coming from. So, is it for me? Yes and no but it is a necessity for me at any rate.

Thank you again for answering my questions. I really am glad I decided to join.

Misty
Imanadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 AM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I do eat all the time and I love it I have 6-7 "mini meals" throughout the day and it really helps me to not feel like I am being "deprived".

As for exercise, I use workout DVDs from The Biggest Loser and ones by Jillian Michaels.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

My mother calls me a "grazer", I eat all day long. It works for me. Even on WW, I can eat all day long. I need to, my job is physically demanding and I need the energy. And yes, you can lose weight!

Off topic, Onderchic, is that you and your bf in your new avatar?

If so, the two of you are "HOT"!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #13  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I think it is awesome that you want to get yourself into better shape in order to be prepared for taking care of hubby when he needs you. It is nice to see people who care enough about other people to do such things.

The identity crisis - It does happen. I have never been thin, I have recently gotten to below the lowest weight that I can actually truly remember being as an adult (or teen for that matter). It is exciting, but it is true that I don't really know me right now. I have also always considered myself a caffeine junkie. I "allow" myself a diet soda per day these days, but most days I end up skipping it and have gone as much as a couple weeks without any soda or coffee. It is strange to do that because I'm supposed to be the caffeine junkie. I just had to decide that the caffeine junkie, the "curvy" girl, etc. weren't what I really wanted to be and decide what it was I did really want to be. Now I'm a zucchini junkie and a health nut in training. You may have an identity change, but you can get through it. For me it has been about the level of difficulty as changing my identity from single to married was.

Exercise - I LOVE my elliptical. It was very hard at first and I couldn't even do 5 minutes, but I worked up to it and now I can do an hour or more. I get a great calorie burn with it. I also do Jillian Michaels' DVDs, walk, use various fitness games on my wii, do yoga, and do weight training. You should experiment until you find things you like to do. Make sure you include strength training and not just cardio, muscle is important and is your friend. Find lots of things that you can enjoy because variety will help keep you motivated. Don't worry if you can't do as much as you'd like to when you first start. You will get there.

3FC is great and if you run into problems or questions someone here will almost always have an answer or suggestion. Congrats on getting started the right way by going to the doc first and good luck.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/253/199

Height: 5'3"

Hi Misty!

I'm also new here, but I can't agree more. The other members on this site are so supportive and full of great advice.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I can't imagine how scary that must've been. But I'm sure you're doing wonderfully to recover?

My daughter was born without a left hand (a condition called Amniotic Band Syndrome) and I am amazed at all that she can do. I was so worried for a long time that she wouldn't be able to function properly. But it hasn't hindered her a bit. She finds new ways to do things all the time. I mention this to give you hope that everything will be ok.
SugarJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #15  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Hi, Misty, my decision to work on finally getting and keeping this weight off was definitely motivated by my desire to be healthier and more active. I'm 45 now. I don't regret it at all. I do feel like I'm becoming more myself as I lose weight, though I have those anxieties about having deal with certain challenges as I move towards being a thinner person. I try not to dwell on that stuff too much, as 1) I still have a ways to go until I can be considered thin, ha! and 2) it's enough just focusing on the diet and exercise (!)

I use the treadmill at the gym regularly and I love it. I like the elliptical too. I enjoy walking as well. Belly dancing is a great idea, they have classes like that at my gym, haven't tried it yet.

good luck with everything!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote