South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/183/145

Height: 5'6"

Default 1 pound after 6 days

Has anyone else run into this?

I started South Beach on Sunday at 198. I weighed in this morning and I was 197. I am supposed to get Aunt Flo on Wednesday. Could it be water retention this early?
Mzthang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #2  

Yes it could be so dont pay attention to the scale because of it...
nomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Restart 240/225/160

Height: 5'9

Yes. I was down 8 pounds until yesterday, then I went back up 4 pounds in one day while staying on plan and working out.
getting_smaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #4  

I know I shouldnt wiegh every day but its hard not to. When I first did South beach 5 years ago I lost a bunch of weight in phase 1.. Why doesnt it come off like that now?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Why not post some menus? Maybe there's something that could be tweaked.

There's also a lot of research that suggests every time we lose and regain (and I've done it plenty of times myself!) it gets harder for our bodies the next time.

Some people, including me when I was losing, also lose in wooshes. Maybe it's just adding up and will drop all at once. I could go two weeks without a loss and then drop several lbs all at once. Menus are a good place to start though, if you are interested
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #6  

Well yesterday my menu looked like this

B:lf cottage cheese with tomatoes
S: string cheese
L: Salad
S: hummus and veggies
D: T-bone with broccoli
D: pb cup

the day before that was

B: Eggs with lots of veggies and 2 slices turkey bacon
S: hummus and veggies
L: pork loin with broccoli
S: string cheese
D: turkey burger with cheese and onions and mushrooms
Old 01-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Wow, great job with the veggies! These look really good. The only thing missing is dairy. From my perspective I also like to see beans but they aren't required. For me they really help fill me up and the fiber keeps everything moving.

One other question - are you getting plenty of water? That can really make a difference.

You might just be building up to a woosh though. How do you feel? Did you measure when you started? Some people see movement there first. You know this WOL can work for you so keep doing what you're doing and it's sure to show up soon. I know it's frustrating but I'm looking forward to reading about your woosh when it comes (and it will)
Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #8  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Cyndi, as usual, has some great advice in her thread. I just wanted to say that the first time I followed SBD waaaay back in 2003, I lost 14 pounds in Phase 1. This time, I hope to maintain the seven. It's hard to come back and not get that fabulous loss, especially since I have more to lose now than back then!

Don't give up. Weigh in the day after you get your dot (heh) and see if the scales move any more. You may only get a small loss this time around but a loss is a loss!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #9  

Cyndi,

I will usually have a glass of ff milk daily..plus I put cheese on my salad and the cottage cheese..So I think dairy is good unless I need to have more.
I havent really been drinking enough water, maybe 4 cups a day. I am gonna increase my intake there. I had taco salad the other night and my hubby and I split a can of pinto beans for it..so I am good on beans.

I did not measure myself cuz I can never get the right area. I do feel a little stopped up but I am not constipated. That might be the problem. I didnt think I would get constipated with all the veggies I am eating. what do you think?

I will keep on trucking. I usually end up stopping cuz I dont see big losses but I need to think of this as a way of life and not a quick fix. That is the hard part for me. I think as soon as I lose the weight I can go back to eating the way I was but I cant do that anymore. I want to have another baby and I need to get this baby weight off.

Thanks ladies for the support

Last edited by Mzthang77; 01-08-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzthang77 View Post
I did not measure myself cuz I can never get the right area. I do feel a little stopped up but I am not constipated. That might be the problem. I didnt think I would get constipated with all the veggies I am eating. what do you think?
I eat a ton of veggies & still get constipated on SB. Something about eating bad carbs makes me more regular. The daily beans help with it. Also take a fiber laxative when I need it. If I were you I would try to measure at least your waist regularly. This is a great way to follow your progress when the scales aren't cooperating.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Height: 5'7"

It really sounds like your doing wonderfully, your food choices are great! I went off the beach for a while now and I lose easily in phase 1.. then it slows right down. If your diet wasn't awful before hand then that can play allot into it as well.

*I feel silly posting when I don't set a very good example by my history, however I need to get back in with the discussions
oopsmyhalofelloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #12  

Since my choices are good then I will chalk it up to constipation/water weight/TOM
Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I think as soon as I lose the weight I can go back to eating the way I was but I cant do that anymore.
It seems it is a part of our nature to think this. I believe the change comes when we have that lightbulb moment.

For me it's like "duh, the way I WAS eating was what got me to my heaviest weight. Why in the world would I ever think that I could eat that way again and remain at a normal weight!"

My losses have slowed but I weighed less at the end of 2009 then I did when I started-any my health has skyrocked. That's a far better reward then a "crash, smash, lose weight fast" diet.

Stick with it and you will achieve your goals!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 01-09-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #14  
Working on healthy

Quote:
Since my choices are good then I will chalk it up to constipation/water weight/TOM
You definitely need to increase water with your increased fiber intake. Makes everything work better. I drink over 100 oz of water a day there days. Much of it is in herbal teas this time of year. When I first started I logged water just to make sure I was getting those 8 glasses, now I'm always drinking something
Old 01-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #15  

I think I had 8 glasses yesterday so I am well on my way..I will report after the 14 days to let you know how I did