Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~January Golden Girls~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Lynn
Old 01-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #3  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Happy New Year Everyone!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #4  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Omigosh! We STAYED UP until midnight! We haven't done that in years! This has been SUCH a relaxing week, despite house cleaning and sewing - and Oh, lord, my daughter gave me a perm Wednesday night, and I now have curly (very) hair again for the first time in a few years, at least. I'll get DH to take a pic sometime soon and change my avatar, since everybody is updating theirs! Anyway, I called my son to wish him a Happy New Year even though he wouldn't be in 2010 for another three hours. He was amazed that I was still up.
Back to work in three days. Oh, ugh. Realistically, though, it's just as well. As pleasant as this has been, it'll be good to get back into my old (eating) routine, because while I've been home, it's just gone from bad to worse. Not so much "junk" food, because I don't keep any of that around, but TOO MUCH of everything all the same. WAY more than I normally eat, that's for sure. I'm planning to make dinner for my kids on Sunday - a nice pork roast, which they all like - and I've been baking date & pecan bread, cranberry walnut bread, corn bread, and Apples Isabella, and freezing them as soon as they cool down from the oven. But first, DH and I have had to "test" each one with rather generous servings. NOT good. I mean TOO good, I guess. NOT good that we enjoyed testing it so much. I AM DETERMINED to start off 2010 with a return to healthy eating even if I DO have three more days at home where I can "graze" whenever I want. (At work, I have what I've brought, and that's IT).
DH & I are babysitting for our granddaughter and the little twinnies today so that my daughter and her husband can go out for lunch and maybe to a movie or something. Have a little time together away from the kidlets, at any rate.
Well, I need to get some things done around here before we head out, so I'll come back later to check in with all my Golden Girls in 2010!
Love to all,

Z
Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/174/147

Height: 5 ft 5 in

I am starting the IP diet on January 8th, this was the first appointment I could get. Any suggestions on which foods to pick. I will be traveling some the first week of the diet so I will not have a microwave to fix the food
Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #6  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
I'm not into new years resolutions but somehow a new year automatically puts me in a new frame of mind to stay OP. Now that the holidays are over it's clear sailing.
Lynn...Thanks for letting us know your progress, when is the second eye scheduled?
Zoe...3 days huh? That will go fast and those grand kids are sure to keep you young. I like to 'graze' too, a bite here and a bite there won't hurt anything, right?
Quote:
even if I DO have three more days at home where I can "graze" whenever I want. (At work, I have what I've brought, and that's IT).

Happy new year to you too Isabella, so what's in your pot pie? I know that's not what you called it, shepard's pie? My DH likes to cook as much as I do and he suggested I use the barley pilaf as a base for chow mein. Lynn's recipe made a lot so we had plenty of left overs. I added water chestnuts, bean sprouts, mushrooms, can of 98% fat free cream of chicken soup. I also stir fried fresh celery and carrots and added some chopped chicken breast. That made enough for two meals so I'll have to come up with something new for today. Does your shepard's pie have a crust on it?
Happy new year everyone, let me know what you're cooking tonight.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-01-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #7  

Hope every one has the best one ever!!!

Last edited by the slim me; 01-01-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #8  
Bobbi

Quote:
There are roughly 2,000 steps in a mile, although it varies on how tall you are because of your stride. So if you walk 10,000 steps in a day, you are walking about 5 miles. On average, Americans walk about 2,000-2,500 steps in a day.
Who else is interested in Lynn's exercising across the country? I just checked in and will have to convert my pedometer steps into miles at the end of the day. (My new stepper isn't here yet, en route according to my last email, due next Monday) I googled how many steps convert to 1 mile and it depends on how long your steps are. I'll use the pedometer until Monday. Anyone wanting to join, please get your spot today and then delete all your questions on that site so we don't have to scroll down so far to see everyone's accomplishment for the day. And please delete your spot if your choose not to continue.

Welcome coffeebean, what's the IP diet?

Quote:
I am starting the IP diet on January 8th, this was the first appointment I could get. Any suggestions on which foods to pick. I will be traveling some the first week of the diet so I will not have a microwave to fix the food

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-01-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #9  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy New Year to everyone.

Have a couple days off now ~ yippee!! I so prefer being home and doing the stuff here.

Off to bed now

Take care
Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #10  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I'm with Bobbi: what's the IP diet?????? I'm back to calorie counting, and that's what works for me. I've fallen off the wagon so much in December that I'm bruised... but my resolve is strong! Onward and downward!!

I wish everyone health and safety and happiness this year. Already, this year IS better than last year!

Good luck to all the cross-country walkers/exercisers. I'll keep track of your progress; send postcards!

Last edited by jess1; 01-01-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #11  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi Coffeebean. I just googled the IP diet and I found this forum on this 3FC site. I think if you go there there are lots of people doing the Ideal Protein Diet.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/othe...arb-diets-227/

Bobbi, the Shepherd's Pie was made from left-over vegetables with veggie burger and gravy topped off with mashed potatoes. It's a little different than a pot pie as there isn't a crust. The potatoes make the topping.

Zoe, I also have 3 more days to get back on track. Everyone will be gone by then and it'll only be DH and me.

Jess, I'll be back counting calories by Sunday. When we have celebratory meals I just let it slide. It's only a few times a year.

Glynne, have a nice few days to yourself.

Freda, I had a great New Year celebration. Hope yours was as good.

Lynn, so happy you're recovery has been so speedy.

Well, I ate way too much last night and today. The whole family was here and it became my Christmas celebration. We had DIL's family and a couple of friends over last night and there was party food galore. We were eating until 2010. We ate, played a few games or watched The Three Stooges on TV, ate again, watched the neighborhood fireworks and ate again. Then when everyone went home or to bed I cleaned up and got to bed around 1:30 am. Then today we kind of picked at left-overs from last night for breakfast and had a big dinner just after 2 pm. We feasted and then had a lovely cranberry cheesecake with orange pineapple ice cream for dessert (found the recipe online). We are all full and sleepy. We had a lentil casserole in lieu of turkey and we're just as sleepy as if we'd had turkey. After dinner I jumped up and did the dishes until DH wanted me to vacate the kitchen so he could wash the floor. Pots and pans are now soaking. On a very bright note, I did get in a nice long walk before dinner. I took DS's GPS with me to track the milage and the batteries went dead!!! I almost flung the thing into the woods I was so disgusted. I'll track it again tomorrow with a fresh battery. It's over 6k for sure but I need to know exactly how much so I can keep track for the Exercise Across the Country Challenge.

A big hello to everyone else. Gone to finish the pots and pans.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #12  

Happy New Year everyone rosey
Old 01-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi Rosey, Love the avatar!! Is that your Willie? He is a cutie! Sure hope everyone has a Happy New Year. After being sick all day yesterday I feel almost human today. Not a lot of energy and my ribs are sore from coughing and getting sick. But I am 100% better than I was yesterday. At least I did a little around the house and got some laundry done too.

Lynn good to hear from you. Glad that things went well with your surgery.

Bobbi what kind of stepper did you get this time? I have one of those that has no handles or anything and it is kind of tricky--- I bought it to take and use in the 5th wheel when we had it. I do have it here in the living roon now but havent' used it much. It said to put one hand on the wall until you get used to it.

Well, just wanted to pop in and say Happy New Year to everyone. Stay warm.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,
Today my DF came over & we did a jigsaw puzzle (usually this is our New Year’s Eve tradition, but yesterday was snowy & we postponed until today).
My new strategy is to plan what I will eat after I exercise each morning (so I know how many calories I have burned) and then to eat what I have planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Oh, lord, my daughter gave me a perm Wednesday night, and I now have curly (very) hair again for the first time in a few years, at least. I'll get DH to take a pic sometime soon and change my avatar, since everybody is updating theirs! Z
Hi Zoe, for the first time since I was about 15, I stopped coloring my hair red (was born a redhead, but it faded as I got older). I have an apt to get it cut on Tuesday & I figure he will cut out the last of the color. When all the dye is gone, I will have my DD take a new pic & change my avatar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Hi Coffee, WELCOME! And Good Luck with your new diet. Please keep us posted on how you like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Lynn...Thanks for letting us know your progress, when is the second eye scheduled?
Second eye will be done the end of January. I can’t believe how easy and how much it changed my vision! You gals say some powerful prayers!

To all the Golden Girls,
Happy New Year!

Lynn
Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #15  

Hi Karen..yes that is willie and daisey..the golden reteaver is too big for my lap altho she has climbed up once or twice..they are all gentel dogs.... glad you are feeling well lynn..gnite everyone rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 01-02-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Closed Thread