Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Default Oatmeal idea..do I need help?

This morning I made my oatmeal--1/2 cup oats, and too much water...I cooked it and cooked it but still too runny...so it occurred to me to add a little bit of cornstarch (diluted in a little cool water) like gravy or something..it worked and it was one heckuhva lotta food....I added a cup (yep, whole cup) blueberries and wow...BIG portion..

It occurred to me then--why can't I do this every morning...calories were somewhat minimal--15 calories for a teaspoon--sodium ZERO..

Anyone else ever done this??? Any pitfalls here I am not seeing? I loved it--huge amount food for notta lotta calories.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-07-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

I work really early in the morning, and rarely am hungry until about an hour after I wake up, so I do individual baggies full of oatmeal with different ingredients like nuts and dried fruit and you could also try adding a little protein powder if you are needing more protein. It's easy to make, cheap, and fairly low caloric. I don't add any sugar or milk to it, because the calories start flying on when that happens...but, I can't think of anything wrong with eating large portions of it daily...
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #3  

Well, I don't really need any more, anything..LOL...I just liked the idea of having a gigantic bowl of hot oatmeal and berries without as many calories. I wondered about daily consumption of cornstarch however.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #4  

I finally figured out the secret to getting the amount of water the box tells you to actually be absorbed by the oatmeal in a microwave. I cook for 10 minutes on 40% power or 13-14 on 30% power. This will depend on the power of your microwave, of course, mine isn't that powerful. So, if you have the time, this method works well. I too like the massive volume of food for less calories.

As for the cornstarch, I really don't think a teaspoon a day is a problem, if that works to get the volume and consistency you expect. I doubt you would suffer any ill effects from such a miniscule supplement.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/197/129

Height: 5'4"

Tarisaande - I'll have to try that way to cook it. I have this '9-grain' oatmeal stuff that I microwave to save time but it always ends up bubbling over and making a mess.

I like to add a spoon full of natural PB in a mix it up real good. Yum! It makes it so creamy and rich, plus you get a nice carb and protein combo. Oh, I also sprinkle it with a dash of cinnamon before cooking. Sprinkle with a few nuts for a little crunch and viola!
katertater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

Ooooh yum, that PB idea sounds good. I just can't over overboard with it!

And about the cornstarch...did you let the oatmeal sit for a couple minutes after you cooked it to let it "set"? I guess everyone makes theirs different, but I always added hot water (instead of cooking it over the stove) to my oatmeal, put a paper towel over it, and let it sit a couple minutes. Maybe try that?? Hope that helps.
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #7  

I cook it all the time--I just threw it together without paying much attention today. LOL--I really just liked getting the HUGE volume of thick oatmeal that I did for the calorie count. I am actually thinking of ALLLLL sorts of ways to further other foods now with the cornstarch.

I use oats from the bulk bin--either the steel cut or plain ones. I also regularly purchase 6-grain cereal.

Thx. for the replies everyone.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #8  

Kind of like Christmas, huh?! "You mean I get to eat ALL that food?!"
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I've always found it is actually quicker to cook oatmeal on the stove rather than microwave it. I just put everything in together on high and by the time it boils it is almost done.

as for the cornstarch...hmmmm. I guess it wouldnt cause any harm.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Ground flax meal is a good thickener too, especially if you give it a minute or two to sit.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #11  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this on another thread a few days ago but I eat my oatmeal raw. ^_^

I pour some rolled oats into a bowl and top it with some light vanilla soymilk. I add fruit (fresh fruit if I have it, dried otherwise) or nuts/seeds and if I have a sweet tooth I drizzle on a little bit of molasses or honey.

It's really good that way and I don't have to wait for it to cook. Plus it's chewy instead of mushy.
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #12  

Hey Metal Chick..I eat my 6-grain cereal raw as well as my oatmeal raw IF it is above 70 degrees outside..however, today it is 14!!! So, I like it HOT! You and I are NOT alone in our preference--Julie (I think) also takes it raw sometimes...in Europe it is quite common.

Julie, thanks for the idea on the flaxseed--I have plenty of that in a container in the freezer--like everything though, it adds calories. SIGH.

I just Googled the cornstarch idea. I found many articles from women claiming to "not drop weight" when they ingest cornstarch. One article that particularly caught my eye was a woman that claimed MOST sweetners were a derivative of cornstarch--she claimed that many people have trouble losing weight because of ingesting too many sweetners. Who knows--interesting reading to be certain!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #13  

I've not tried it with soy milk, but that sounds good. I had completely forgotten this: a friend of mine was working out with a personal trainer a few years back and he gave her a list of good food items to eat before and after workouts. Before workouts he suggested oatmeal and applesauce. It's actually pretty good. Just combine about a half cup of oats with about equal amount of "good" (i.e. not pumped full of extra sugar) applesauce, mix well and let sit for just a few minutes for the oats to soften up a bit.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #14  
WW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
LOL--I really just liked getting the HUGE volume of thick oatmeal that I did for the calorie count. I am actually thinking of ALLLLL sorts of ways to further other foods now with the cornstarch.
I think that is where we got in to trouble as a nation - I'll save my evil corn story! We're just talking about a little cornstarch to stretch things out- yes in some carb sensitive people it does stall weight loss, but I think overall using a lot more white flour as a thickener is harder than a little corn starch. (not to mention less tasty) I'd just try it and if you see a difference on the scale, cut it back.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Not cornstarch but I was thinking about doing this with chia seeds! Chia are good for you and they are definitely a thickener. I also like my oatmeal a bit soupy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote