Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #1  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

Default Asian Coleslaw

This recipe came thru in my email from Simple Recipes. Could be Phase 1 or 2 simple omit carrot for Phase 1.

The dressing on this salad is peanut-based. If you have a food allergy to peanuts, you can substitute tahini for the peanut butter (or leave it out all together), and toasted sesame seeds for the peanuts.
Ingredients

* 1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
* 6 Tbsp vegetable oil
* 1/2 teaspoon toasted (dark) sesame oil
* 4 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (if seasoned rice vinegar is not available, add a teaspoon or two of sugar to regular rice vinegar) agva nectar instead.
* 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage (Napa, green, purple, or a combination)
* 1/2 cup grated carrots
* 1/4 cup toasted, salted, shelled, peeled peanuts (omit if you want)
Optional
(I also grated about a teaspoon of fresh ginger into it)
* Chopped fresh cilantro
* Thinly sliced green onions or chives

Method

1 Prepare dressing. Place peanut butter in a medium bowl. Add the vegetable oil and the toasted sesame oil and whisk until nicely smooth. Whisk in the seasoned rice vinegar and do a taste test. Depending on how you like your dressing, how salty your peanut butter is, how seasoned your rice vinegar is, you may want to add a little more vinegar, a little more sugar, or a little salt. (Makes about 3/4 cup of dressing.)

2 Toast the peanuts. Although the roasted peanuts from the store may already be cooked, you'll get even better flavor with just a little toasting. Heat a small skillet on medium high heat and add the nuts to the pan. Do not ignore or the nuts can easily burn. Stir a little with a wooden spoon until the peanuts begin to get browned in spots and you can smell the toasting aromas. Remove peanuts from pan to a dish.

3 In a large bowl, toss the sliced cabbage, grated carrots, and peanuts together, and any other optional ingredients you care to add (like a little chopped cilantro or green onions). Right before serving, mix in the dressing.

Great with fish or burgers.

Serves 4.

p.s. I made the dressing separately and just toss it with the cabbage at time of serving.
take care
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #2  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I made something similar to this with broccoli slaw, it was great!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

This sounds really oily, have you tried it with less?
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote