Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Default Quilters, Crafters, and Chatters for Weight Loss #2

Hello,

Please join us here, regardless of your age or gender, as we discuss our weight loss journeys, and the lengths we go to in an effort to keep our hands busy and out of the cookie jar. Whether your talent is quilting, cooking , scrapbooking, or mainly spending time with your fingers on a keyboard, this thread will help keep you accountable, and provide friendship and support along the way.

So pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, and share what's on your mind.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

The holiday season is over and now it's time to hunker down for the long, cold winter. It's a good time to make progress on my cross-stitch project, and maybe, just maybe, it will finally be done in time to hang on the wall for next Christmas.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Hello ladies,
I hope everyone had a great New Years Day!!

I made it through the 3 holidays and I'm ready to get started with 2010! I'm 14 pounds lighter going into the new year! Now have to concentrate on the next goal, which is 4 pounds. My burner always burns on low, so it might take a while, but I know I can do this.

No celebrations till March and I'm sure I can stay legal with those dinners. It was hard not baking this year. I didn't make one single thing....not like me at all. But it was a wise decision and my dh was very grateful not having the sweets sitting around yelling at us to eat them. If it's there, I'll eat it.

I was so busy the month of December! Seemed like I was going in circles. I tried to finish painting my ornaments for the grand daughters, but decided not to stress over it. I just couldn't get them finished in time. Well, I finished my ornaments yesterday. Yep, I gave them to them today and they hung them on the tree. I made it just in time. Beat the new year! Yippee! I'm going to be sure and paint their ornaments as soon as I pick a pattern out, so I'm sure theirs will be finished in time next year. All is good!!

Next project is a Valentine sign. It was warm enough today to work in the shop for a couple hours. Have to grab the sun while I could. Was nice being outside for a change.

Hope all of you are getting some crafting time now that the holidays are over.

cottagebythesea-- Hope you got in some time for your cross stitch. They say slow and steady wins the race. Keep at it, those take a long time.

I keep working on my projects. My problem is I work on two or three at the same time. So it feels great when I get some closure to my projects. I make a complete mess of my room doing this. I'm so bad! Too many ideas.

Carol
Old 01-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #4  

Good morning Everyone!

Carol, I used to have several craft projects going on at the same time and it would take forever to finish anything. Nowadays I make myself do one thing at a time and follow through on it before I attempt something else. My current cross-stitch is a challenging one. It's a counted cross-stitch done on black aida cloth, and I have to really concentrate as it's so hard to see. It will be gorgeous when it's finally completed, but I'll never attempt to work on a black background again!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Morning Everyone,

Carol I too am ready to get with it. My company leaves tomorrow and I am going on the Metabolism Miracle diet. I like the idea of giving my liver/pancreas a rest and working to get my metabolism working again. I don't have any major occasions coming up that I can't handle. DH kids come back for visits in July and it would be so nice to be able to be in better shape so that I can do things with them without huffing and puffing. MM required at least 30 min of exercise everyday so I think I'll get more structure over all.

cottagebythesea and Carol - I plan to get some projects going too. Not sure exactly what yet, but I know it will help keep my hands too busy to eat. I can be on the computer and eat. I can't eat and have a needle and thread or crochet hook and yarn in my hand. So it would solve a lot of problems for me.

Jane - How are things going? You have a busy weekend with family?

Everybody have a great weekend.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #6  

Well scratch the plan for doing Metabolism Miracle Diet. I can't eat before I go to bed and I do not want to eat in the middle of the night if I'm up or wake up. That is one habit I don't need. So will continue following a tweaked Atkins plan. Tweaked because I want to use Intuitive Eating method of eating only when hungry not by the clock. I think the other plan is good, just not something I can do.

Catch y'all when things get back to normal around here.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #7  

Hi Everybody

Up veeeerrrrryyyyy early and checking in. Company left at 6 am so I just stayed up. No church today since DH and I are wiped out. I'm cleaning getting house back to normal washing dirty clothes from everybody using towels, sheets etc when you have company for 5 days.

Good news is that my weight is back down to where it was before company came. Today is WI day so officially, I came through with my 4 lb loss of the 19 I gained getting on Intuitive eating last year. So I am thrilled about that. I am 100% OP today.

Have a great Sunday.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #8  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Trish - YAY to you, on your loss. The family was here for soup on Friday, but it's been quiet since then. I've been getting some things done, though, and have enjoyed the time with just Neal and myself after so much hub-bub.

Carol - Congrats for your 14 pound loss in 2009. Like you, my burner burns on low, too. Tell us about your Valentine sign! I'm curious as to what it will be like. We've got 2 celebrations this month. Son-in-law's birthday celebration is next Sunday, then at the end of the month, we've got a combined party of daughter Mary, and son's little girl, Macy.

Linda - your cross-stitch project does sound beautiful! I tried counted cross-stitch when the kids were young, and for the life of me, I would get interrupted so often that I'd lose count, lol.

Kim - how has your weekend been?

Hello to anyone reading this.

As I mentioned to Trish, it's been quiet at my house, and I've been getting a few little things caught up.

I'm back OP, counting calories. Winter is when I usually do my spring cleaning so that everything is done when spring actually gets here, and I can spend most of my day outside. Almost without fail, there is a warm day or two in February where I can even get the windows done. I am thinking of the extra bending and stretching will be good exercise.

Have a good Sunday!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #9  
New ME in 2010!

Red face I found YA!

JANE for giving little 'ol me the link for the new Thread!
Sometimes I'm just a little slow!

Well, I'm starting my program ALL OVER again tomorrow. I HAVE TO get the sweets desire out! No problem - I'll get it done and go on from there!

It was a tuff holiday season for me with Thanksgiving, bronchitis, birthday, Christmas and New Years all within ONE MONTH

So, I'm just gon'a go BACK to the start and start all over!

Sure GLAD I found you all - sorry if you were trying to loose me - it's JANE's fault - beat up on JANE!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Hi all,
Carol - Congrats for your 14 pound loss in 2009. Like you, my burner burns on low, too. Tell us about your Valentine sign! I'm curious as to what it will be like. We've got 2 celebrations this month. Son-in-law's birthday celebration is next Sunday, then at the end of the month, we've got a combined party of daughter Mary, and son's little girl, Macy.
Hello Jane, I'm not to good at attaching a picture, I'll have to ask my dh how to do it.

I've been on for 20 days now and I'd love for to to see what I paint. You can email me through the user CP if you like. Am I suppose to do something special to have some one contact me that way?

I have fun with my painting. I enjoy painting ornaments and pins the most, and snowmen and for the holidays. I'm a detail painter, not to rustic. But love to go junking with my daughter and I find the best things to paint on. Trying to get some of it painted for the holidays.

But this customer of mine likes my style and wants these thin signs to fit a certain size space on her wall. They're 3 1/2" wide and 22" tall. I'm putting two cut out hearts on it, with two cut out "love" words that will be glued on. I'm working on a little cherub with a bow in her hands. I'm not the best for front views, so I painted one from side view. I did a Fall sign with leaves and a pumpkin at the bottom, and a Christmas sign with holly and red cardinals. She just told me she would like something for Easter, Spring, July, and summer....when I get bored! Oh my! I'm never board!. Too many ideas in the brain. I've been busy this week with dr and dentist appointments so haven't had time to paint. Darn!!

Swimming, and dr tomorrow. Have to go have a blood test in the morning too, I'm fasting for 14 hours. Going to miss my coffee. Grrrrr!

I make sure I get in 3 days a week of my water aerobics. I sit so much I really need to keep that appointment for myself, and I enjoy it so much.

Our birthdays start in March and they go through June. These are myself, daughter, son in law, and 3 of the grand daughter. Plus an anniversary thrown in there. We will have a graduation from Jr High for the twins added to the list this year. But most of those day's I can stay legal.

I'm on Wendy Chants Crack the Fat Loss Code. This is new to me and seems to be working with my menopause gain. I'm very grateful that I ran across the magazine at the store. I was getting pretty discouraged. Been on it 8 weeks and still enjoy it.

Love posting and meeting all you you ladies. What kinds of crafts to you ladies like to work on?

I like sewing and have cross stitched on sweat shirts in the past. I'm to slow at scrapping, I flunked that craft, but still go to my daughters for her parties and have fun with the girls. I love to paint the $1 stepping stones from Lowe's. Have them all around my front garden path. I painted a mail box to keep my gardening tools in. That was fun. I paint canvas garden pictures. Love to paint on jeans shirts. I'm a jeans kinda gal! Mostly though, I love working with wood. I cut my own wood in my shop. Dh's aunt said, "It keeps you off the streets, and out of the bars". Yep, it does that. We enjoy going golfing when the weather is warm.

That's what I like to do. Would love to hear what you girls enjoy doing? There are so many different types of crafts.

Maintained today, so doing good.

Carol
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #11  
cajungirl64

S/C/G: 181/174/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi Kim, Carol, Trish, Cottagebythesea, Jane and anyone else I might have missed. Glad to be here and hope to be chatting with you all each day.
I used to Tole paint, but now I'm into sewing and crocheting and embroidery, not all at once though. I live in the country here in Louisiana. I have 4 hens of which I really enjoy watching as they run after bugs and such. I'm doing the "Crack the Fat Code" WOE and am on the first week. It isn't to bad at all.
Well, I just wanted to stop by and say hello to everyone. Have a wonderful day and stay warm.
Blessings to all,
Linda H. (cajungirl64)
Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #12  

It's nice to meet you Cajungirl! My name is Linda, too. I learned to tole paint years ago when we were stationed in Germany, but haven't done it in a long time and probably forgot how, lol! I should take a refresher course, though, as it would be great to paint some Christmas ornaments as gifts.

I've been busy getting back into the normal routine now that the holidays are over. I decided that this is the year I'm finally going to shed these extra pounds, and so far this week my eating has been completely OP. I think feeling the waistbands of my jeans getting snug gave me a good kick-start, as I refuse to go out and buy larger sizes. Other than that, I've been working on my sewing project a little, and am thinking about getting into knitting or crocheting again. I was admiring all the gorgeous colors of yarn at the craft store the other day and wanted to buy some. I don't know what I want to make, though, as I don't want to make a scarf or an afghan, but I'm not experienced enough to make anything else.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #13  
GmaTo8

Hello all,

Kim - glad you found us, lol. I think most of us over-indulged at least somewhat through the holidays, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger, haha.

Carol - I like to scrapbook and sew. When they were popular, I made and sold tons of curled ribbon barrettes, and other kinds of barrettes, and made fabric wreaths galore. I also dabbled around in putting jewels on shirts when it was the "in" thing, lol. After having my own craft shop for awhile, I got very burned out of doing most all crafts, and didn't touch a thing for years. When you say CP, I think you mean PM, as in private message, right? CP is your user control panel where you can change your signature, avatar, preferences, etc. I'm glad you found us, too! We enjoy your company.

Cajungirl - I think you will like it here in our little group! I live in the country, too, and love it, most of the time. Every once in awhile, I need a good dose of hustle and bustle, so I hop in the car and head for Indy, or hop the Amtrak and go to Chicago. Since we already have a Linda, could we maybe call you by your middle name? Or just Lin? Anyway, I am SO glad you found us!!

Linda - did we already talk about the fact that I was in Germany long ago? In Kaiserslautern? It was 1972, and I was with my 1st DH. I loved the countryside because it was beautiful there, but I have very unpleasant memories of being there in general. Maybe you could make a shawl, or a baby blanket?

Trish - hope all is well with you.

Sounds like we're all doing better staying OP now that the holidays are over. Whew! I haven't been doing any crafts, and am not sure what to begin. I have fabric for a comforter that will match my living room colors - aqua, browns, creams - and should have already had that done before winter hit, lol. Maybe I'll get going on that.

Lots of snow heading my way here in southern Indiana! How about your area?

Toodles,

Last edited by Jane; 01-06-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #14  

Good evening ladies,
Had a busy day with a fasting blood draw early this morning and then another dr appointment this afternoon. Got in my hour of water aerobics in between.

It was a beautiful day today, but the sun's going down and it's getting chilly now.

Had to tell you I lost another pound! Yippee, skippy!! This is just the greatest being able to eat these wonderful foods and still lose weight.

Got my ticker going! Hope Mr. Buzz keeps right on buzzing down the line.

LindaH-- Glad this week is going smoothly for you and dh.

Jane-- Yes, how ever you send a message here over here.

Linda--I have good intentions and start out working on one project, but then someone wants something, so my first project gets way laid for a bit and I don't put away my paints, so pretty soon I have 75 bottles of paint on my table. Sometimes I really need some closure. But usually I take a deep breat and keep on going. I get to the end sooner or later. Just takes me a while.
Everyone have a good evening!
Carolis
Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

My name is Marie and I have been hanging around these boards for a few months now.... I just stumbled onto your little crafting nook...I love working with my hands too, so I thought I would say Hi !
Closed Thread