Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/219.6/145

Height: 5' 4

Default 12 hour shifts?

I was wondering if any of you work 12 hour shifts, and if you do, do you exercise on those days?
On days I work I get up at 5:50 am and I am out the door by 6:25 am. I do not get home on most days until 8:15-8:30 (if it was a bad day sometimes not until 9). Doing exercise on my lunch break is not an option because I am lucky is I have a whole 30 minute break.
When I get home I pretty much make and eat dinner, then watch one TV show.
KmbRN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmbRN84 View Post
I was wondering if any of you work 12 hour shifts, and if you do, do you exercise on those days?
On days I work I get up at 5:50 am and I am out the door by 6:25 am. I do not get home on most days until 8:15-8:30 (if it was a bad day sometimes not until 9). Doing exercise on my lunch break is not an option because I am lucky is I have a whole 30 minute break.
When I get home I pretty much make and eat dinner, then watch one TV show.
Yes, I do, and it's very doable if you prioritize. It will make you feel less tired.

I work 7a to 7p with over an hour commute. I get up at 5a and am usually home sometime between 8:30 and 9p. I work out at night after I get home. I work out at night anyway, even on my off days, so I'm used to that. I used to skip my work days and then I decided I wanted to give it a try...

It refreshes me, relaxes me, and I wake up the next morning less tired. The only time I don't exercise is when I work a sixteen hour shift-- then I can't figure out where to fit it in.

Go for it!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I will preface this by saying I don't work 12 hour shifts, so take what I say with however many grains of salt you like.

If you can discipline yourself to get up at 5:00 on the days you work and work out for half an hour, you'll rev up your metabolism for the day and burn more calories throughout the day. That's what I do, and on the mornings I'm just not feeling it (which is pretty much every one) I remind myself that if I don't do it, I won't get the extra calorie burn all day long. That's generally enough of a motivator for me.

Another benefit to working out first thing is that it's done and you don't have to worry about dragging yourself home exhausted and not wanting to work out, then feeling like you failed if you skip it, you know?
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #4  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

I have no advice, but this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
I will preface this by saying I don't work 12 hour shifts, so take what I say with however many grains of salt you like.

If you can discipline yourself to get up at 5:00 on the days you work and work out for half an hour, you'll rev up your metabolism for the day and burn more calories throughout the day. That's what I do, and on the mornings I'm just not feeling it (which is pretty much every one) I remind myself that if I don't do it, I won't get the extra calorie burn all day long. That's generally enough of a motivator for me.

Another benefit to working out first thing is that it's done and you don't have to worry about dragging yourself home exhausted and not wanting to work out, then feeling like you failed if you skip it, you know?
has really inspired me to get my butt moving in the AM!
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #5  

I am an RN...out the door by 6 am and home about 7:30 pm. I don't exercise those days. I do try to hit the stairs once our twice during the day. I am too exhausted once I get home. I make sure to pack my lunch bag on work days. Breakfast, lunch and lots of healthy snacks.
JillyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I work 12 hour shifts, either 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am. Since I'm in a police department, I have a good gym and a 60 or 90 minute break. I go on my break.

If the gym isn't an option during that time (sometimes it is closed for maintenance, or I forget my gym clothes), I just don't work out on those days. I take the 12 hour shift days as a rest day.

I do however, make sure to plan and pack all my meals the night before so I don't get into a fast food habit.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #7  

Ditto about packing the all meals and snacks. I only work two shifts per week but a lot of my final 20 pounds of weight gain were directly attributable to the crap I ate at work.

As far as night or morning, I think it really depends on the person. Night is the best time for me even when I don't have to work. I never leave for the gym until after kids are in bed, and it really puts a nice finish to my day-- plus the gym isn't crowded then.

I have a sister-in-law who always hits the gym at 5 am.

Both sound like torture when you're not used to it, but in reality I really look forward to my evening workout.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 272/219.6/145

Height: 5' 4

I think for right now I will work out only on the days I do not work. That will give me 4 exercise days a week. Once I get my fitness level up I will work on adding a morning or night session. I have decided though that the elevator at work is now off limits. I will wall the three flights of stairs from pharmacy to my floor. Each fligh has about 24 steps.
KmbRN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmbRN84 View Post
I think for right now I will work out only on the days I do not work. That will give me 4 exercise days a week. Once I get my fitness level up I will work on adding a morning or night session. I have decided though that the elevator at work is now off limits. I will wall the three flights of stairs from pharmacy to my floor. Each fligh has about 24 steps.
That's a good idea. I did not exercise on work days until more recently when I got to the point that I didn't like how I felt on my no exercise days.

Watch out. It gets kind of addictive.

My favorite is now when I'm snappish and cranky with the kids they say, "Mom, are you going to the gym?"

Before, we might have headed for Dairy Queen.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #10  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
As far as night or morning, I think it really depends on the person.
This is absolutely true. Some people just have more energy at night. Me, I do both, because I am apparently insane. But I personally have more energy in the morning, if I can get myself out of bed, and I do feel a lot better all day long if I work out before work. Other people, not so much.

That extra metabolism boost really is the only thing that keeps me going some days, though, I have to admit. With the trouble my body gives me, I will take every extra little bit of help I can get!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
This is absolutely true. Some people just have more energy at night. Me, I do both, because I am apparently insane. But I personally have more energy in the morning, if I can get myself out of bed, and I do feel a lot better all day long if I work out before work. Other people, not so much.

That extra metabolism boost really is the only thing that keeps me going some days, though, I have to admit. With the trouble my body gives me, I will take every extra little bit of help I can get!
Well, you are officially my idol.

I think of working out in the morning as being one of those traits of total awesomeness that I'll always aspire to... but never in this lifetime achieve.

you are a rock star!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Stairs are good stuff
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #13  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Honestly, no. I typically go on the days I'm off to be honest. Not only do I work 12 hour shifts, but I work midnights. I'd like to get goin to the gym more than I go now though, so I'm gonna have to start eventually!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #14  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
Well, you are officially my idol.

I think of working out in the morning as being one of those traits of total awesomeness that I'll always aspire to... but never in this lifetime achieve.

you are a rock star!
Heh, well, thanks, but it's sheer desperation, I assure you. I mean, eventually I *have* to lose some more weight, right? That's what I keep hoping, anyway! That's what got me out of bed to face Jillian this morning, at least.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

When I was working I worked in a call center and some times worked 12 hour shifts. I would get a 10 minute break every 4 hours and a 45 min. lunch. I wore a pedometer to keep track of my walking and used the hallways during my first break. then I would climb the stairs on day two if I worked back to back shifts.
I also always brought my food, and ate a power bar towards the end of a shift. I found this kept my stress levels down and my energy up.
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote