Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 10:15 AM   #1  
Woman on a Mission

Default 10 lbs. at a Time #164- A New Year Dawns

Good Morning All,

A New Year is almost upon us and I'm sure most of us have done reflecting over the past year. It's been a learning year to be sure and I think it's important for all of us to focus on the positive changes and encourage ourselves to make more of them for the coming year.

A New Year is a fresh start for some and I know myself I will be treating it as such. I ate my way through Christmas and am really at a loss as to why I let myself sabatoge (sp) myself that way. I knew it was wrong, I knew I wasn't hungry but still I kept on. I have a 3 lb. gain to start the new year and have updated my stats to relfect that. Today is a new day and tomorrow a new year and I am determined to start it off on the right foot.

I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday season and were able to spend time with loved ones and time renewing yourselves.

To all of you; A Happy New Year and nothing but the best for 2003.

Take care,

Pam
Old 12-31-2002, 12:03 PM   #2  

Pam, you are so right. Although I did lose weight last year, I could have lost it all had I stayed focused. I am getting serious, I have my shopping list (the fridge is EMPTY), and I intend to make a 2 week effort to see just what type of dent I can make in my weight. I am joining Curves for Women on January 20th, and am looking forward to seeing some serious results overall.

Happy New Year everyone!
Meg
Old 12-31-2002, 01:11 PM   #3  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Gang
Pam is'nt it stupid..i've done exactly the same thing but with chocolate in fact as i've been browsing the forum this morning i've been stuffing my face with big fat chocolate almonds..at 9am in the morning!! what a nut like the pun? but the best thing about it is that i'm finally in the right frame of mind to do this again..took long enough did'nt it? i've been thinking about the clothes i was wearing last spring and how close i was to wearing my size 10's again until i blew it don't you dare blow it! Are you listening? Get a grip now before that 3lbs become's 10lbs. The most humiliating thing for me was that i lost my driver's licence while i was on holiday and had to get a replacement when i came home..hubby came with me and the man asked me if my weight was still the same (it was 140 when i renewed it last year) i had to say "unfortunately no..i'm back up to 165lbs". Hubby did'nt hear me tell him and came up to the desk and said something like "have you told him how much you weigh" whilst smirking no wonder i'm an emotional eater.
Anyway..i've decided there will be a lot of changes in 2003 and the biggest one will be my appearance..this year the sweats and trainer's will be gone i'll be back in suits..stilletto's..and jewellery.
The old me..Joan Collins..(i alway's refer to myself as her because i alway's used to be dressed up to the nine's like her in the past) is raising her head again

Happy New Year to you all
Old 12-31-2002, 03:07 PM   #4  

Hi Everyone

Pam and Meg, it's good to hear from you again, and Pam I know just how you feel. I didn't do very well during the Christmas holiday, between all the parties and gifts of chocolate. Especially the chocolate! Cat and I both had a good time with chocolate. But I have sent it all away and now I am struggling to get back on the program. And like you I am having a three pound problem. Throughout the last two or three weeks I have gone up and down. When I would get tough with myself it would go down, then when I goofed off it would go up. Right now it's up, but I have until my official weigh in on Friday before I will change my stats. So it's an incentive to be really good this week! I don't want to have to register a weight gain!

Tomorrow is the start of a new year and I intend to be on program with both diet and exercise so I will continue to lose weight. It appears we have all been having a problem during the holidays but it also appears everyone is determined not to let it stop us. WE CAN DO IT. I think it is just as important for us to post our failures as well as our successes. It makes us realize we are all going through the same thing. It doesn't matter who we are, or where we are in life it is difficult for all of us, but by working together we can do it. If I hadn't been posting and trying all the time these last few weeks I might have gained more and that would have been very discouraging. Not giving up and giving in is so important. Think of it as an accomplishment - How much could we have gained if we were not struggling to stay committed.

Now it is time to put the holidays behind us, don't dwell on our failures but enjoy our successes - it's a new year - Time for a new commitment - EAT HEALTHY AND EXERCISE - EXERCISE - EXERCISE!

Anyone who isn't posting - come back to us - we need you and you need us - WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!
Old 01-01-2003, 10:59 AM   #5  

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Where is everyone - sleeping in maybe - Don't forget it's a new year and time for a new commitment!

I did pretty good last night. We had my bil and sil over for the evening. We played sequence, a fun game and ate snacks and had a few drinks. And watch the ball drop in Times Square. But I stayed pretty much op. Except for a few pieces of cheese and a few pieces of pepperoni, I only ate low fat crackers and drank ice water. My sil had brought over a pizza for later but we all decided we didn't need it and instead each had a big fresh orange that we had just received as a gift yesterday. It was delicious! I was so glad they decided against having the pizza because I know I would have been right into it if we had cooked it! They really helped me with that decision!

I've already done my exercise for today. This morning I walked the treadmill for 25 minutes and went 1.10 miles. Maybe this afternoon I will do a mile on the bike. I am in a Valentine's day challenge for exercise to do 50 miles by Valentine's day and it would have been only 1 mile a day to achieve it, but I've missed a few days so now I need to make it up if I am going to meet my challenge!

Tomorrow is my dh birthday. He will be 70 years old. He sure doesn't look or act it. Everyone is always surprised to find out his age. I plan to take him out for chinese food, along with some of the family if I can get them together because we haven't really planned it yet. Another challenge - I better be good until then, because I love chinese food!

Hi everyone and a very HAPPY NEW YEAR - GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US FOR AN OP DAY AND AN OP YEAR
Old 01-01-2003, 10:59 AM   #6  
Woman on a Mission

Good Morning All,

Happy New Year!! It's hard to believe it's here already isn't it?

Cathy, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your strong words yesterday. When I read the part of don't let 3 turn into 10 that really brought it home for me just how easy it would be to let it slide like that. Thank you for helping me put that in perspective. I love the image of you of as Joan Collin's and have no doubt about the fact that you will knock hubby's socks off this year. You're a beautiful person inside and out and your strength is showing through. Go Girl!!You know you can always email me for extra support. Thanks for being such a friend.

Grandma G, I'm so glad you joined our group too! I know what you mean about the posting helping you stay focused on the journey even when our motivation strays. You ladies are always in the back of my mind when I feel like giving up. An inspiration you all are to be sure.

Meigg, I'm happy to hear from you again. Curves for Women has had excellent reviews from some of my friends and I know you'll do well at it. I love to hear the resolve in your post this morning. We all owe it to ourselves to be the best we can be.

Karie, Dahlia, Terry, Lisa, Carol, and everyone else whose been with us over the years, please come and say hi and let us know how you're doing. We miss you.

Take care and let's all have an OP day to start the New Year off right!

Pam
Old 01-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #7  

Happy New Year everyone. Day one. Going well. Trying atkins for next two weeks with much support from hubby and family and work friends. Work has been very dissapointing as of late. Remember the salary cut? Did not get the money back in bonus. I asked a friend point blank what her bonus was, and she lied to me (obviously to make me feel better). But you know what, that is not being a true friend. I have had several people warn me about her in the past, and I have never believed them until now. I am cutting her out of my life. It was a ridiculous thing to lie about - so what else is she lieing about? Clearly, I am upset.

I am moving on, though. New Year's resolution: 2 weeks on Atkins to see if I can budge scale 5 pounds. Then I will believe that carbs are what has been my problem. I hope none of you are really anti-atkins. I need all the help I can get right now. I promise not to have steak with butter on it! I am eating eggs, fish and chicken, with salads and veggies. Cutting out the caffiene, sugar, fruit, and everything else is going to be a nightmare! - mostly just breaking the habit. I went to reach for something this morning and had to remind myself that I had started!

New Year's is such a good time, as we all have good intentions. Let's try to stay focused. I read on cnn.com today to just try to keep your resolutions one day at a time. i think we all need to keep that in mind. If we fall off, we can always start with the next meal, the next morning, or simply getting back on the treadmill.

I have so enjoyed the journey with you all so far, and I hope the year to come will make us happier with ourselves - whether we lose weight or not.

Happy New Year!

Meg
Old 01-01-2003, 04:01 PM   #8  
Gym'll fix it!!

Afternoon Ladies

Pam..i'm so glad that the "talking" to helped you are so close to your goal and i know you'll be there in a couple of weeks any time that you feel like your motivation is slipping just get out that "fat" picture..the one that you posted on Yahoo and compare it to a "thin" one and say to yourself "I'm never going back there" (i'm a fine one to talk are'nt i? ) What is it that they say? A picture is worth a thousand words? or something like that..well..it is true. I never thought of doing that while i was on my way to goal last year and i so wish i had i think it would have kept me on the straight and "narrow"

Meg..i'm not anti-Atkins and i think you're right not to have fat dripping off everything Good Luck! About your friend..how do you know that she lied to you? if it was from someone else how can you be certain that she did'nt lie to them? and even if she did lie you are probably right it was to protect you from being hurt.. friends like that are hard to find..besides..even if she did get more than you it was'nt her fault it was your employer's..they are the one's you should be mad at

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE AND HERE'S TO A SLIMMER ONE!
Old 01-01-2003, 04:49 PM   #9  
Woman on a Mission

Meigg, we are here to support each other no matter what. My SIL did Atkins a few years ago and had much success on it. She did gain all the weight back but she also wasn't following the guidelines properly either. Sounds as though you've researched it and are going to keep a good head about you. People seem to think that you never get carbs again but I believe that after the induction phase you get to add some back in until you strike the right balance. I'm so glad you've got Dan's support and that of your friends...it does make it easier doesn't it? Be sure to post often and let us be here for you.

Cat, good point about the pictures. I'll have to ask Erwin if he can scan the one in from his Christmas party in my size 12 frock. That's a good one to show me how far along I've come. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm OP today and have nine points left for the day so far so good. I've jounalled everything and am remembering to drink my water. I'm off to clean the pantry out and see if I can find it's shelves again.

Have a good one.

Pam
Old 01-01-2003, 10:54 PM   #10  

Thanks for the support guys. I did well today. I am eating chicken with salad and a little feta. I drizzled a little olive oil and lemon juice on the salad and it was REALLY good. Imagine! I actually could see myself making that dressing in a restaurant and enjoying it. That is a positive.

I am mad at my boss, which I am trying to let go, but I asked my friend to be honest about how much her bonus was (so I could see if everyone got different amounts based on workload, or if they were all the same - like last year). She said she got the same as me. I found out from someone else that she got $250 more than me. The thing is, I wouldn't have even been mad at her if she had just told me the truth at the time - she has worked really hard all year, and totally deserved it. I also told her she didn't even have to answer if she didn't feel comfortable. But pick one of the two - don't lie. I just wanted a real answer so I knew how badly I was getting screwed out of my $10,000 in lost wages. That's all.

Well, enough of that. I will simply look for a new job instead! Stay positive, right? Right!

Talk to you all tomorrow.

Pam - Great job journaling and with the water - keep it up. One day at a time!

Grandma G - I love your workout challenge for Valentine's Day. I wish that my gym opened earlier (I think it opens Jan 20th) or I would join you!

See you later!

Meg
Old 01-02-2003, 12:36 PM   #11  

Good morning everyone. Well, day two is off to a GRAND start!!!!

I am feeling well, despite the cutback on caffiene and sugar - and guess what - MY BOSS ACTUALLY APPROACHED ME ABOUT MY SALARY!!!!

He told me that he is doing the math and that he should know by the end of next week what type of increase he can give me. It probably won't be back to what it was, but even if it is something, that is better than nothing! And HE approached ME! This has absolutely MADE MY DAY!

I hope everyone is doing well today. Remember, try to keep your resolutions one day at a time. And if you slip, just start over again at the next meal, or by working out. We can do it!

Talk to you soon!

Meg
Old 01-02-2003, 01:26 PM   #12  
Gym'll fix it!!

Meg..so glad that "scrooge" approached you the word must be out..he's probably heard that you are i hope you get what you deserve Glad that Atkins is working out for you..now..i've got to find something that works for me. I might just try counting calories and fat grams instead of restricting anything..that usually works for me
Old 01-02-2003, 03:26 PM   #13  
Woman on a Mission

Hey girls, just doing a quick check in today to say hi! All is well...I'm back at work now after a lovely week off and there were no surprises waiting for me. I love days like that.

Had an OP day yesterday and am on track today also.

Meigg, sounds promising. Good for you.

Cat, how are you doing today? Sounds like your plan is coming together. Remember one day at a time and like Meigg said, if we do poorly at one meal treat that as one meal, not a whole day. We will do this.

Have a good one and I'll pop back in later.

Dahlia, if you're lurking, how is your son doing on his recovery?

Pam
Old 01-02-2003, 03:33 PM   #14  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Pam..what can i say it's lunchtime and so far so good glad to hear that you are doing well think i'll get the old digi-camera going later and take some "before" pic's..want to get on the treadmill sometime today too as well as go shopping...boy.. i'd better get movin'
Old 01-02-2003, 03:50 PM   #15  

Good afternoon ladies!

It is a great day here, sunny but cold. I got off to a good start by walking 1.30 miles on the treadmill, in 29.30 minutes. I am trying to increase my speed and endurance by continually increasing my speed each time for the mile, then slowing down and continuing to walk for a few more minutes. It is working but when I walk faster my ankles hurt more along with my feet. I hope that will improve as I walk.

So glad to hear your good news Meg. It's about time they realize how valuable you are. I hope it works out for you. Also glad to hear the new diet is working for you. I have the book, but I never tried it. It didn't seem like something I could stick with, but I know several people who have had a lot of success with it. Good luck!

Meg, if you want to start a Valentine's day exercise challenge before your gym is ready why don't you do some of that dance exercise you told us about. Just challenge yourself to do so many minutes each day in place of miles. I wish you were closer you could use my treadmill!

Pam and Cat, I like the idea of the pictures to show us how far we have come, I think I will do that. I will get a before and after picture to put on the fridge! That should scare me into eating right!

My dh is having a great 70th birthday so far. Our dil arranged to have a friend's daughter, who is taking massage therapy in College come with her table and all her equipment and give him a massage this morning. HE LOVED IT! I knew he would. I was planning to take him out for Chinese food tonight but we postponed it until tomorrow night. It was more convenient for the rest of the family.

I am doing pretty good staying op with my eating but I could do better. I am working on decreasing portions again. Even though I eat the right things, I need to eat less.

Hi Karie, Dahlia, Terry, Lisa, Carol, Floridachick and anyone else who may be lurking, come and join us - we need you! Good luck to all of us for an op day
Closed Thread