South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default SBD, belly fat and perimenopause

I've always tended towards an apple shape (skinny legs and arms) but now I'm 43 and in full perimenopause and over the last year it is ridiculous how much fat has migrated to my middle (and any new fat has gone directly there). I know the most recent SBD book talks extensively about belly fat. Can anyone give me a synopsis? Also, is SBD supposed to be good for peri and regular menopause symptoms? Thanks ladies...
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Welcome to my world For me cutting processed grains made a huge difference in symptoms. As far as belly fat it came off but requires a fair amount of exercise to keep away.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

This really hits home for me!!!! I am experiencing that too, Mmckellen. Part (but only part) of why I named my blog Waisting Time. I have always been a pear, and still am. But when I had reached my goal weight last summer (since gained back half) I was shocked at how much fat was still on my belly. And my old pants fit in the butt but were tight in the waist. Used to be my butt was always my problem area. No more. My mother has complained about post-menopausal belly fat for years.

I saw a segment on the Today show yesterday that talked about insulin's impact on belly fat. The guy was, of course, selling his book. He suggested that you cut out as much sugar as possible; it would be more impactful than cutting out fat.

When I am back at my goal again, and staying there I am going to see if Cyndi's idea works for me. I have always heard that you can't reduce this with exercise because that only firms the abs below. Sigh.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I started south beach and the first thing I noticed was my stomach went down a LOT. I think cutting out all those carbs really helped- now I honestly find I feel so much better NOT eating carbs and don't crave them as much. Even if I get something carby I tend to not eat all the carb part of it (like I'll eat an open faced sandwich now instead of a regular sandwich.

I'm not sure how it can affect menopause symptoms, but I figure it'd be a positive effect since you aren't eating as many carbs and having less sugar/insulin spikes cuz of this. Insulin levels can affect hormone levels, so having a steady blood sugar level might be beneficial for you
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote