South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Cruncy snacks for Phase 2?

OK, so I have accepted I will have to do without crunchy snacks (and I DO NOT mean crudites) during Phase 1. I usually only want these things when I drink so since I can't do that for two weeks, it won't be that hard. But, when I am able to have a glass of wine I'm going to want a crunchy, salty accompaniment and not something I have to really monitor, like nuts for instance. When I tried Atkins some years ago I used to eat pork rinds and that worked well for me, but I know I can't do that on South Beach. Any suggestions? Something that might be available in a store or bar?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Roasted chickpeas work for me to satisfy that urge to crunch. There's a recipe for them in our Phase 1 Snacks in the recipe section, and here's another recipe for them that I really like, courtesy of another Mod, Nelie-

Tamari Roasted Chickpeas

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 - 2 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
2 - 2 1/2 tsp. tamari
1 TBSP. olive oil
1/2 tsp. rosemary, thyme, or oregano
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. agave nectar

Preheat oven to 400*. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Put beans in a single layer in the pan. Bake about 25 minutes, tossing once or twice, until juices are absorbed.
Makes about 1 3/4 cup
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Cheese crisps are great. Lots of versions on here. I like them with low-fat shredded 4-mexican cheese microwaved until it is just hard.

I haven't tried the turkey pepperoni recipe yet - but that looks like a good crunch. I have some in my fridge now. And chickpeas in my cabinet

And I agree that veggies are not the same! But you might try the cauliflower popcorn. It isn't crunchy, but it has a good saltiness to it and you eat it more like a snack of chips or ...well... popcorn.

I also ate lots of Triscuits last time I was in Phase II. They taste amazing when you are OP. Salty and almost sweet. I like the thins because you get more per serving. I try to eat them with spreadable cheese to add protein. I had to really watch my portions and that I didn't eat them more than once a day. Melba toast was okay too. (Check labels to be sure they fit the plan; I don't remember how careful I was at the time.)

Snacking is the area I have to be most cautious; I have much more control and willpower with meals.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You can make tortilla or pita chips and there are also dried green beans available.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #5  

Great ideas, thanks guys! Are wasabi green peas allowed on phase 2 for snacking?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Wasabi peas aren't allowed on Phase 2 because they have too much sugar in them.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #7  

*sob* ok about the wasabi peas. I did notice that Trader Joes has crunchy greeen beans in the snack section. Are these ok for phase 1 or 2?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Most of those crunchy vegetables are fried so check ingredients. YMMV but I avoid all fried snacks now. You can make crunchy green beans in your oven though, the same way you make other crunchy treats. I love kale chips too. Great if you have trouble getting all your veggies in (I can seriously eat the whole batch as soon as they come out of the oven). There is also a recipe for lentil crunchies I like. Salty, fatty foods have always been my weakness. For me that means no fried snacks.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #9  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I totally agree on the roasted chic peas- but I don't make them that often because I can get a little crazy about them. they're so good! I usually make mine spicy with lots of red pepper, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt...

also a few nuts put in your purse to take with is always a good thing to have around... but I have to pre portion mine otherwise, you guessed it I get a lil crazy about them too- I will eat way too many calories if I don't measure before eating!

See a pattern here- I am an over indulger... hence why I have to plan ;0)
When I was eating wheat I loved triscuits... now that I am not I have tried a few crackers I like... Mary's gone crackers are pretty good...
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Have you tried the Mary's Gone Sticks & Twigs? I highly recommend the curry, portioned out of course
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #11  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I really enjoy oven crisped kale on all phases. I cut kale into bite sized pieces, and sprinkle with a little olive oil and kosher salt. 425 in the oven until crispy.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #12  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Cyndi- I remember you saying somethng about those a while back and no where that I get the crackers has had anything other than crackers! Is it in the same section?
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote