Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #1  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

Default THAI CHICKPEA STEW (ph 1)

Cross-post for more exposure. This is not my recipe ~ copied from a favorite message board. I have been making this for years. It's wonderful and freezes beautifully. It is nice with a squeeze of lime on top of each serving (or mix in some zest). Don't forget the fresh basil!

THAI CHICKPEA STEW

Now, to me this is not a heavy stew, it's more like a soupy entree. It's definitely something you'd serve in a bowl with a spoon, but it's not heavy-thick. It is a crockpot special, YAY, but the chickpeas don't get mushy.

GREAT with brown Jasmine rice (Phase 2) and cucumber spinach salad.

2 tsp canola oil
1 1/2 c chopped vidalia onion (1 cup regular)
2 garlic cloves, minced (or more to taste)
2 19 ounce cans (note the odd size - Progresso) chickpeas, rinsed and drained ( when I cannot find the 19 oz cans I just use 3 standard cans)
2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes, UNdrained
1 14 oz can lite coconut milk
1 Tbs good curry powder, or to taste (I use regular but you can use HOT curry)
2 Tbs minced *pickled* jalapeno pepper, or to taste (I've successfully used canned green chilies or fresh jalapenos)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c chopped fresh basil (or cilantro, if you'd rather)

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 min or until onion is tender. Place onion mixture, chickpeas, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a 3 1/2 qt electric slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in basil or cilantro and serve over rice. Serves six to eight.

Last edited by 262mom2three; 01-14-2009 at 03:23 PM.
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #2  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Sound like it's worth trying.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for this. I'm not too crazy about most slow cooker recipes that I've run across. (Seems like every other one requires you to dump in a can of Campbell's cream-of-something soup.) I am going to try this.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote