Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Default Any "all-organic" eaters out there?

Over the past few months, I've read some life-changing books ("Reclaiming Our Health" by John Robbins, "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser, "Mad Cowboy" by Howard Lyman and "Spontaneous Healing" by Andrew Weil to name a few)... I come from a family with a long history of cancer, heart disease and strokes - so reading these books has been a divine inspiration to not only lose weight & get in shape - but also to eat "better" foods... including going organic whenever I can.

So far I've been doing pretty well - but I was wondering if anyone knows of any organic "breakfast bars" (like Nutri-grain or even Power bar type) that taste good? I love the ease of meal-bars, but I'm concerned about added dyes, preservatives, too much added sugar and overly-refined foods.

Anyone know of any good ones - or other "quick" meals/snacks that are organic & healthy?
Old 12-30-2002, 02:47 PM   #2  
a brave new me...

Angry Organic

I try to buy as much organic food as possible, and will only buy organic packaged or processed foods such as frozen meals and canned goods and pasta and bread. Sometimes I buy organic vegetables and eggs and dairy but I usually can't afford to buy all organic. I also do not buy red meat, with a few occasional exceptions.

I am not sure about breakfast bars but I know I have seen quite a few where I shop. The best name brand for organic foods is the "Amy's" line... however they are not low fat. Regardless I eat lots of "Amy's" food as it is delicious and the frozen foods are usually packaged as a single serving so the portion is under control.

I am currently reading Fast Food Nation as well, but am not very far into it.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:23 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Lunula, have you looked for any recipes for breakfast bars? I know there are some good ones out there. They store well, and you know EXACTLY what's in them.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:27 PM   #4  

Lunula, I like Health Valley organic bars but they are so good I ate them all at once (they were chocolate with vanilla filling). I am going to avoid them in future precisely for this reason!

Lidian
Old 12-31-2002, 08:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Thanks, all.

Sojourner - I don't think I've ever seen any "Amy's" brand items before - I'll have to look for them. I live in Charlotte, NC and though it's not totally backwards anymore... it still doesn't have the "organic selection" other major cities have, lol.

Ellis - I'll definitely look up some recipes. My main problem is I *try* and get up early enough to eat everyday (I'm working on it as a resolution this year, hehe) - but sometimes I just run out of the house late and need to grab something. Plus... I get kinda lazy with the cooking & baking, lol.

Lidian - I've seen that brand before, gonna have to check those bars out!
Closed Thread