Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #1  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default See this leaf? *shakes leaf*

It's brand spanking new and I'm turning it over.

Now. I posted a few days ago about how I needed some butt-kicking (which was admirably delivered by the lovely folks here!) So why am I starting a new thread about new beginnings and the like?

Well, there are two main issues, one which has been lurking in the back of my mind for a while, and the other which cropped up today.

The first is that my starting weight is wrong. I've known this for quite a while but was held back from changing my data because I thought it would mess up my stats. Never mind the fact that a) I'm a numbers geek and it wouldn't be a problem and b) it doesn't mess it up at all! I'm such a whinger

My starting weight is 249, not 248. Where the error came from...it's probably a conversion error. Where I live we measure with metric units, and I quite possibly misread something.

The second - and quite a bit closer to home, emotionally - is that I'm not 5'10". This is tough. For so long, 5'10" has been part of "me". I'm not a little bit gutted by this.

How I discovered this is rather amusing. I was chatting with an old friend the other day and we were talking about heights. He said, "Well, I'm about the same height as you - 5'8" or so." I blew a metaphorical casket and archly reminded him that I was 5'10" and that he should not forget that in a hurry.

"Ok, Salsa," he said, "whatever you say."

Don't you just hate it when guys do that?

Anyway. My PT measured me and I'm 174.5cm, which he rounds up to 175 (he's lovely!). 174.5 translates as 5'8.7"...which I'm inclined to round up to 5'9".

Ye gods. We're talking about one inch. I can't believe I'm this about one freaking inch. Can anyone tell I was spoilt as a kid?

Anyhow. In the interests of Truth, I'm now going to adjust all my numbers appropriately.

Dude. I'm feeling better about it already. But dude...bye bye 5'10"

Lol. I need to get over myself!

Sympathy much appreciated

Last edited by salsa chip; 01-04-2010 at 01:32 PM.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #2  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Well Salsa...I am right with you...for years I was 5 foot 1 and then I was "almost 5 foot 1" and when I put my stats on here...I bell-eid up to the bar and wrote 5 foot. It was hard too. And really...does it matter? It does matter as far as the amount of food I need...but really...one inch?

Hang in there...thanks for being honest...it is very freeing!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #3  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I feel you and can sympathise 100%. Every time I go to the doctor I keep expecting my height to go from 5' 9" to 5' 8". I don't know why but I have this crazy irrational fear that I'm going to shrink (my mom did) and that means that my goal weight has to go down, and my goal already seems so unachievable... *sigh* but I can say I know exactly where you are coming from.
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I thought this thread was going to be about nudity in some way

I hear you about height. I'm rather attached to my height too, and a little afraid I might find out otherwise someday
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

LOL about the height...
I'm 5'7 and 3/4 or 5'7 and 7/8s...
When I get measured at the MD office, they always tell me 5'8", but I always feel as though I'm cheating, just slightly!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I think you can squarely place the blame for all of this on us metric challenged Americans. They tried to force it on us when I was a kid (the big metric push in the late 70's/early 80's) and all of America, except maybe the scientists, uttered a collective, "Huh?" It's so not your fault we couldn't adapt!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

well, to 5'9"!!

it's actually a pretty good number for numbers people.

Nine is composed of the all-powerful 3x3.

It is the Triple Triad - Completion; fulfillment; attainment; beginning and the end; the whole number; a celestial and angelic number - the Earthly Paradise.

It is the number of the circumference, its division into 90 degrees and into 360 for the entire circumference.

Nine is symbolized by the two triangles which are a symbol of male, fire, mountain and female, water, cave principles.

Cultural References
Buddhist tradition holds nine to be the supreme spiritual power, and a celestial number.

Celtic legend symbolizes nine as a highly significant number. It is a central number with the eight directions with the center making nine. The Triple Goddesses are thrice three. There are nine Celtic maidens and nine white stones that symbolize the nine virgins attendant on Bridgit. Nine is connected with the Beltane Fire rites which are attended by 81( 8+ 1= 9) men, nine at a time.

Chinese: Nine is a celestial power. It is 3x3 being the most auspicious of all the numbers. Nine also signifies the eight directions with the center as the ninth point known as the Hall of Light. There are nine great social laws and classes of officials. In land divisions for Feng Shui there are eight exterior squares for cultivation of the land by holders and the central, and ninth, square is a "god's acre", dedicated to Shang-ti, the supreme ruler. It is also known as the Emperor's Field, giving homage and respect denoting the position of heavenly power.

Christian: Nine is one of the numbers that appears scantly in Christian symbolism. There are the triple triads of choirs of angels and nine spheres and nine rings around ****.

Egyptian mythology nine represents The Ennead.

Graeco-Roman: There are nine Gods and later nine muses.

Hebrew: Nine is pure intelligence ( eight was perfect intellingence ). Also represents truth, since it reproduces itself when multiplied.

Kabbalism nine symbolizes foundation.

Hindu: Nine is the number of Agni, fire. The square of the nine forms the mandala of eighty-one squares and leads to, and encloses the Universe.

Mayan: There are nine underworlds each ruled by a God. We find this reference to "nine underworlds" present in many cultures and beliefs.

Pythagorean: The nine is the limit of all numbers, all others existing and coming from the same. ie: 0 to 9 is all one needs to make up an infinite amount of numbers.

Scandinavian: Odin/Woden hung for nine days and nights on the Yggdrasil to win the secrets of wisdom for humankind. Skeldi, the northern Persephone, the goddess of snow, lives in her mountain for three months and by Niord's sea for nine months. Nine is the sacred number in Scandinavian-Teutonic symbolism.

http://www.crystalinks.com/numerology2.html

you have embraced 9, and a whole new world of possibilities!

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 01-04-2010 at 01:56 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #8  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Oh, and I would kill to lose 3 inches and be 5'9"!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I am actually 5 feet 4 1/2 inches - I am still waiting for that 1/2 inch! Probably at my age...I'd shrink down to 5"4' inches before getting that half inch I've always wanted.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #10  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

I personally have no idea what my height is. I think I'm 5'6". My friend's husband who is the same height says I'm 5'9". The last time I was officially measured was for a volleyball team in 8th grade and I was listed as 5'7". Doctor's office and the DMV here just put down whatever you tell them. My tall friends think 5'6" is right, my short friends always think I'm taller. Someday I'm going to have someone really measure me, but for now I'll stick with this number. It would be cool to actually be taller though for BMI stats but think it would be emotionally a bit of a wallop if I came up shorter.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I never knew TALL people complained about their heights! LOL! I understand completely because honestly, I am 5'3.5" and take a look at my stats. It makes a difference on the BMI chart! (I like that smilie)
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #12  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default Have I told you guys you're awesome?

YOU ARE ALL AWESOME.

Cathy - I'm getting used to the 5'9". Slowly. It feels a bit as though I'm now a member of some secret ninja society.

Abby - I am petrified that I'm in premature shrinking. No-one should shrink in their 20s! Or even their 30s! Or even ever!

Julie - I think that says more about you than about me, sista

CLCSC - I once heard a teacher talking about how arithmetic was done in the UK. 14 inches, one foot and carry 2. 7 feet, 2 yards and carry one. I got, er, a bit confused Hehehe! (til I met lots of different number systems, when Imperial began looking distinctly cosy and logical )

Dragonwoman - you are the Awesomest of the Awesome! The connection to the Christian trinity had slipped my mind (don't tell God I said that). And I like the idea of pure intelligence...hm....

Beverlyjoy - I don't want to start shrinking *sniff*

caryesings - you're so laid back about it! I'm not sure my genes would let me do that. Oh, and yes - the BMI thing is a bummer. So much for me being overweight I'll now hit onederland before a BMI under 30. That's pretty weird to me.

Eliana - I don't, I like my height Though my sister is much taller than me, and it's not always been easy for her.

To everyone: thank you!
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #13  
Recommitted: 12/29/2015

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'6" | Age: 27

I feel you on that one, too. At the start of my freshman year of college I was 5'2" and I assumed that was where I would stay since most women are done growing by 18. I was pretty attached to being short and feeling really feminine based on my height...but then I grew two inches out of nowhere! Actually, I didn't even realize that I was 5'4" until about a week ago, I was still clinging to 5'3".

So yeah, it's a weird mental shift to have to make.
Enduring Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Salsa, I love your posts. And I recently measured my height at 5'7. What?! noooooooo. I'm not changing it until I find at least two other tape measures that confirm. So yeah, I understand not wanted to lose an inch (at least not veritcally )

Last edited by Aclai4067; 01-04-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa chip View Post

Julie - I think that says more about you than about me, sista
It was the leaf business that threw me, what can I say?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote