Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/135/120

Height: 5'4

Unhappy Tip to control yourself from binging/overeating?

I've had a difficult time controlling by binging habits.
I've tried putting all foods in cupboards so that they are less easily seen; I've tried keeping myself busy with doing something.
But within 30 minutes, I find myself heading back to the kitchen towards the food where I'll start binging like crazy until i'm painfully bloated.

How do you all who have similar problems go about dealing with this?

Cece
seecece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

From one C.C. to another, I'll ask, are the foods in your house foods you typically binge on? Do you have to have them in the house (e.g. they are for someone else)? If so, can you compromise about having them in the house?

Stopping binging takes commitment - not giving in no matter how badly you want to do it. It also takes knowing what your triggers are, be they certain foods or emotions. Distracting yourself until the urge passes is one good trick. Another is acknowledging your feelings and really understanding the why's behind them, then finding new ways to address those feelings that do not involve food. It's a challenge to walk away from binging, but you can do it. Believe in yourself.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
From one C.C. to another, I'll ask, are the foods in your house foods you typically binge on? Do you have to have them in the house (e.g. they are for someone else)? If so, can you compromise about having them in the house?

Stopping binging takes commitment - not giving in no matter how badly you want to do it. It also takes knowing what your triggers are, be they certain foods or emotions. Distracting yourself until the urge passes is one good trick. Another is acknowledging your feelings and really understanding the why's behind them, then finding new ways to address those feelings that do not involve food. It's a challenge to walk away from binging, but you can do it. Believe in yourself.
Good point. Carbs (cereal, bread, etc) is something i typically binge on. I can finish 2 boxes of cereal within a day. Carbs are really important in a diet so I cant avoid purchasing them.
I'm not too sure about my triggers but I will start being more aware of that from now on.
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seecece View Post
Good point. Carbs (cereal, bread, etc) is something i typically binge on. I can finish 2 boxes of cereal within a day. Carbs are really important in a diet so I cant avoid purchasing them.
I'm not too sure about my triggers but I will start being more aware of that from now on.
Thanks for the help!
There are lots of ways to get carbs without having cereal and bread if those regularly trigger a binge. Personally, I don't let bread in the house because I will eat it all in a matter of minutes. Cereal for some reason doesn't set me off. Most veggies and fruit have good carbs and a whole lot of us on 3FC steer clear of a lot of the big bad carb offenders (bread, pasta, rice, etc.) and do just fine!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 01-03-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #5  

Quote:
There are lots of ways to get carbs without having cereal and bread if those regularly trigger a binge. Personally, I don't let bread in the house because I will eat it all in a matter of minutes. Cereal for some reason doesn't set me off. Most veggies and fruit have good carbs and a whole lot of us on 3FC steer clear of a lot of the big bad carb offenders (bread, pasta, rice, etc.) and do just fine!
Thanks for the information! I didn't know that veggies and fruits also had carbs! This will help me a lot!! Thanks so much!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

I'm fighting off a binge right now! We just had a lot of family here, so we have tons of yummies left over. I managed myself very well while they were here, I try not to eat sweets at all (as long as I don't see them, I don't want them). I was able to eat one treat a day without having a blow out, but now I really just want to eat all of those cookies... brownies... banana cake with cream cheese frosting... oy.
I also have a problem with sugary cereals, so I just don't keep them in the house. I work at a bakery, so that's helped me not crave bread anymore lol. I used to blow a lot of money binging at fast food places and I put the money in a box that I used to buy clothes after I lost weight. I've also taken a nap when I was ready to binge because I found tiredness to be a trigger for me. You could buy really cute stickers to put on the calendar for every day you don't binge. There's lots of tricks, I suppose you just have to find what works for you. The hardest part is getting started, but I honestly believe it gets easier after you get a few binge-free days under your belt. Good luck, you can do it!

...Now I hope I can stay away from my post holiday goodies....
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie2010 View Post
I'm fighting off a binge right now! We just had a lot of family here, so we have tons of yummies left over. I managed myself very well while they were here, I try not to eat sweets at all (as long as I don't see them, I don't want them). I was able to eat one treat a day without having a blow out, but now I really just want to eat all of those cookies... brownies... banana cake with cream cheese frosting... oy.
I also have a problem with sugary cereals, so I just don't keep them in the house. I work at a bakery, so that's helped me not crave bread anymore lol. I used to blow a lot of money binging at fast food places and I put the money in a box that I used to buy clothes after I lost weight. I've also taken a nap when I was ready to binge because I found tiredness to be a trigger for me. You could buy really cute stickers to put on the calendar for every day you don't binge. There's lots of tricks, I suppose you just have to find what works for you. The hardest part is getting started, but I honestly believe it gets easier after you get a few binge-free days under your belt. Good luck, you can do it!

...Now I hope I can stay away from my post holiday goodies....
Wow! those are really interesting/creative suggestions. I will definitely try your suggestion about putting the money to use after losing the weight! It will keep me motivated in reaching my goal weight. I really admire your self control and determination!
Thanks a bunch!

Cece
Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #8  

Quote:
C.C. what do you substitute if you don't eat bread,pasta, rice etc. are those completely off the plan or do you eat them in whole wheat versions??

Seecece I can relate to your question. I am so glad you brought it up.

Bonnie
bonnie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #9  
Never want to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie2009 View Post
C.C. what do you substitute if you don't eat bread,pasta, rice etc. are those completely off the plan or do you eat them in whole wheat versions??

Seecece I can relate to your question. I am so glad you brought it up.

Bonnie
I use La Tortilla Factory Smart Wraps for sandwiches - I don't love them enough to want to binge on them, but they taste pretty good and hold my sandwich ingredients for 100 calories. And sadly, pasta is not something I eat any more. You just get such a measly amount for a 200 calorie serving (I count calories for my plan) that it's not worth it to me to walk into trigger food territory. No rice either for the same reasons. I just substitute vegetables for the most part. Tonight I made salmon and green beans for dinner. Before I would have definitely had rice or potatoes or bread, but now I load up on the beans and leave it at that. The night before it was carrots. Again they satisfy some of my starchy cravings, but no one ever got fat from overloading on carrots. Lots of people have gotten fat from going overboard on pasta and bread. me included!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 01-04-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #10  

Quote:
I use La Tortilla Factory Smart Wraps for sandwiches - I don't love them enough to want to binge on them, but they taste pretty good and hold my sandwich ingredients for 100 calories. And sadly, pasta is not something I eat any more. You just get such a measly amount for a 200 calorie serving (I count calories for my plan) that it's not worth it to me to walk into trigger food territory. No rice either for the same reasons. I just substitute vegetables for the most part. Tonight I made salmon and green beans for dinner. Before I would have definitely had rice or potatoes or bread, but now I load up on the beans and leave it at that. The night before it was carrots. Again they satisfy some of my starchy cravings, but no one ever got fat from overloading on carrots. Lots of people have gotten fat from going overboard on pasta and bread. me included!
C.C. What about peanut butter on crackers. Cheese and crackers? Do you eat crackers or toast with breakfast? Do you follow a certain plan South Beach, Weight Watchers?? Thanks for your help. Bonnie
bonnie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

I have to be really careful of this. I make sure not to go too long between eating. It seems like if I eat every 4 hours whether I'm hungry or not I avoid the binging for the most part. The problem becomes when I work a 6 hour shift and think I'll just eat after. Then I feel absolutely ravenous even after a healthy sized dinner.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote