Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #1  

Default Shake Weights

Sorry if they are discussed already but every time I searched for them, in a variety of ways, something about shakes or weight inevitably came up.

ANyhow, it looks silly, but physiologically it makes sense to have a shorter movement for a shorter time. 2.5 weights for 6 minutes a day...

Anyone use them, yet?
sidrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #2  
Meg

I had to google to figure out what you were talking about, I kept thinking it was heavy protein shakes.

My opinion is to save your money and invest in some dumbbells instead. Shaking a 2 1/2# weight isn't going to do anything to build muscle in your arms. I guarantee you that the chick in the video with the awesome arms didn't get them with Shake Weights! No doubt she did curls, pushups, pullups, dips, kickbacks, and extensions, with real weights.

It's another one for the Exercise Gimmick Hall of Fame, I'm afraid.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Honestly the commercial just cracks me up. I agree to invest in some real weights- I don't see how doing that can make your arms look as good as the girls in the commercial.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

So I was introduced to shake weights by ellen, and they are so silly looking! But, all that aside, fitness did a test and found that they force you to work harder faster, so they feasably could shorten a strength routine. The review is in january's issue of fitness.
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/266/145

personally, i think they would work... but can't you just shake a dumbbell in the same general fashion quickly and it'll do the same exact thing?
purple lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #6  
Get it off!!

S/C/G: 196/186/140

Height: 5'7"

I guess the concept is ok, but personally I wouldn't workout with them in front of anybody!
ThisGirlShreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

My hubby bought me a shake weight for Christmas. I think more as a "gag gift" than a really serious workout tool.
You do have to hold your core tight to get the shake going and it does fatigue my arms, but I don't think it's going to get you ripped like the model that they hired to demonstrate it.

I will say it's kind of fun. All day on Christmas, I'd periodically pick it up and shake it.
Haven't done it much since though. It will be a dust catcher, I'm sure
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #8  
CD3

S/C/G: 223/211/150

Height: 5'3"

Thumbs up

I will admitt to using the Shake Weight. I've been at it for a month now & I have to say that it is making a difference! I saw it on Ellen and laughed and laughed - it does seem a funny idea - 2.5# doesn't seem like much but the design makes your muscles work harder. It took me a few tries to get it going properly & it took a bit to work up to doing the full 2 mins (I know sounds silly) but it's harder than it looks. You really feel the burn in your muscles and I'm getting some definition. If your not holding your core properly then it rattles & the resistance isn't working. I was skeptical at first but I thought for the price I'd give it a try. So far I'm glad I tried it

Oh yeah, I laughed when I read one post saying it looks like something you'd hide while doing. I did just that! I told no one I bought it and did it in private until my husband commented on my arms!!
CD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/261/140

Height: 5'6

Lol, I also hide when using it! I agree that I've seen a difference, but I've been using it 4-5 times a day (for 2-3 minutes) for the past 5 weeks. I think that if you were to use any kind of dumbbell (even a 2.5lb one!) on a regular basis, you'd see a difference
Ama Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #10  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Honestly the commercial just cracks me up. I agree to invest in some real weights- I don't see how doing that can make your arms look as good as the girls in the commercial.
I saw this thread and had to come in to laugh too.

I think any movement is good movement but you can pay $5 and buy a 3lb free weight and a baby rattle and get the same effect!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

It does work instantly compared to a dumbell. The 6 minute work out video it comes with sadly kicks my butt. Your arm feels SORE after like 20 seconds (then again I'm not fit). However, you tend to tense your neck up and it hurt my thumbs and joints a bit. It weighs more than you think it does too. So far is funner and gets your muscles going a lot faster than reg dumbells
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote