Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 09:52 PM   #1  

Question Best exercise for me

Hello all. I am new to the forums. I was wondering if any of you had advice for me. I have problems with my knees, back, and ankles. I've tried walking, but by the time I put in 15-20 minutes my back and ankles are killing me. Have any of you had the same problem? If so, what types of exercises have you been able to do? Thanks in advance for your responses!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 10:14 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

How about swimming or aqua-aerobics?

If you belong to a gym, check out the recumbant stationary bikes as well - as a matter of fact you might consider trying out a recumbant road bike - when hubby and I were working for a bike shop we sold quite a few recumbants made by BikeE -- here's their website http://www.ihpva.org/com/BikeE/BikeE.brochure.html

I would also strongly recommend (with your doctor's approval of course) including some strength training exercises to get those weak areas stronger - again, do discuss with your physician!

OH and here's an article I found:
Quote:
Recumbent Bicycles - A Safe Laid - Back Approach

Hop on a recumbent bike and you feel like you are sitting in a couch. Not quite - but close. It is comfortable, but there is work involved. These laid back bikes are found in health clubs, rehabilitation centers, offices and homes. They are lower to the ground and you sit in a upright position in a large seat with a generous back support and your legs are stretched horizontally. As a fitness consultant advising clients on purchasing equipment for thier home or office, it is the first choice I recommend. They have been around since the early 1800's! Besides offering a good variety from other types of cardio machines, here are some advantages:

Greater comfort and back support. If you are an individual that suffers from back, neck, shoulder, knee or any type of problem, this bike is more comfortable than the upright bikes because it takes the pressure off your bones surrounding your gluteus maximus (your buttocks), and distributes the weight evenly from the back to the legs.

The muscles of the lower body are worked differently. The buttocks and hamstrings are worked more than upright cycling along with your quadriceps (front thigh) and your calf muscles.

Like any cardio machine, it benefits your heart. The aerobic benefits are similar if not more, to any cardio machine on the market.

A great machine for the unfit. Because your legs are almost at the level of your heart, your blood pressure and heart rate will not rise as fast as an upright bike, thus letting you ride farther at the same workload. If you have any physical disabilities these bikes are easier to climb on and off.

Words of advice for the buyer :
Recumbent bikes are found in exercise stores and health clubs. Test different models before investing.
Make sure the model is built by a reputable company that offers at least a 90 day warranty.
Think of your bike like a new car that will give you years of enjoyment with proper usage.

Remember that when first starting or changing an exercise program, you should see a physician to have a fitness check-up and have your medical history evaluated for potential risk factors. Happy riding!........
Old 12-30-2002, 10:34 PM   #3  

Smile

Thanks MrsJim! I'll check out the site on recumbant bikes. Based on the article you posted, this sounds like it fits my needs. I'm not a member of a gym yet, but plan on visiting one my friend goes to. I'll have to try one there. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:52 AM   #4  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

I certainly can relate with the knees. I have a bad knee myself. I think the water would be a terrific idea for you.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:48 AM   #5  

I, too, have had problems in those areas, but I've had fewer problems since I started weight lifting. Strengthening your muscles would certainly help to alleviate your pain, but you probably need to get some expert help on exactly what exercises to do to accomplish that. If you can, I would suggest finding either a really good personal trainer or, even better in your case, a physical therapist - maybe a personal trainer with a physical therapy background!

You keep hearing how great walking is (and it is, don't get me wrong!), but a few years ago I started a walking program and had the same problem as you -- my knees, my feet and my back just got worse and worse. Weight lifting has been so much better for me. I still sometimes have problems with my knees when it comes to doing lunges and squats ... there are alternatives to getting those muscles in better shape, though. Honestly, I've known a couple of people who have always had knee problems - had surgery and still had knee problems. Very tricky --

Good luck!
Pen
265/214.5/150ish
Closed Thread