Old 12-16-2002, 06:28 AM   #1  

Default Low Carb Freestyle - Dec. 16

Hi, hope you don't mind that I started a new thread. I agreed with nikki in thinking the old thread was getting too long.

I was in SS site this morning, and in the recipe section, called Breakfast Up an At Em, there is a recipe for cinnamon rolls, which sound YUMMY

Hope everyone has a good Monday.

Aleka
Old 12-16-2002, 08:59 AM   #2  

Morning Everyone,
Aleka, I've made whipped skim milk, I had a stick blender years ago that would do that. It is better looking than tasting, but if you add vanilla, splenda and maybe some spices it helps a lot. If your watching your fat and or calories, it really saves a lot over cream. I'll have to go check out the cinnamon roll recipe. I miss things like that.
Yesterday it was in the low 60's. I cleaned out the car. Didn't even need a jacket, just shortsleeves. Wow, what a job, it really was dirty. Today will not be so nice, it's gray and the wind is blowing in from the north.
Anne, how's the vacation going? Have you started on the Gazelle? I'm starting back at 20 min and going to work back up to the 30 min. later.
Bye for now, Nikki
Old 12-16-2002, 09:38 AM   #3  

Hi Ladies!

I was missing in action this weekend. It is good to see everyone back here again.

Nikkic, that Gazelle workout sounds great. I need to get to my car before Christmas... it is a real pit right now.

Aleka, let us know how the cinnamon rolls taste! I saw some Cinnabon candy this weekend. I almost bought it for my Christmas baskets, but then decided I'd never leave it alone!

Happy Holidays All!
Old 12-16-2002, 02:23 PM   #4  

Angry Ketosis? Eating 2 much ? getting back up...

I DO NOT want to jinx myself, but I am doing okay. I had started the Atkins diet, went off, then went back on again! Since Thursday of last week, I have been "going strong". I pray often for strength not to go back to my old way of eating! I feel SO much better now. I am still fighting with wanting sweets, but the cravings are getting MUCH better.

I am pleased to say since Thursday I have lost 6 pounds! That is giving the incentive to keep going strong!

I still feel I am eating "too much". Does anyone else feel like that? I stay below 20 carbs (barely some days, I only go 1-2 over for salad). I am just glad I feel better.

Today I have had:
4 burger patties with cheese
1 stick of cheese as a snack
handful of pork rinds
slice of lunch meat ham
12 0z of pork chops will be for dinner.

Yesterday I had
Sugar free Jello/ with real whip cream
3 hard boiled eggs whites
4 0z turkey sausage
12 0z pork chops

The key for me to staying on this new WOE is dexatrim and water. It really helps the craving for cookies etc etc. And Water tricks me stomach into being full so I don't eat EVERYTHING in sight. What i have realized is that after 3 days, I am eating less than I did on the first day.

I checked to see if I am in Ketosis, and the sticks still have not changed color! Anyone know how long it takes to go into ketosis? Usually I go into it after a day or 2, but for some reason, it is taking longer this time
Old 12-16-2002, 02:29 PM   #5  
Ready!!!

Hi Chicks, I would love some input on the gazelle thing? I want it but don't want to put the money out for it if it is going to be like the rest of the stuff in the rec. room.
Thanks tazcat
Old 12-16-2002, 03:16 PM   #6  

Hi,
Tazcat, I responded on the last thread about the gazelle, but maybe you didn't see it. If you did, please excuse the repetition here. I have a gazelle and I really like it. I use it almost everyday. I have severe arthritis in my ankle and knees and also, back problems with my spine. There is no impact on your joints. Lots of times, I can barely walk to it, but when I get on it, I feel like I'm flying. It also helps me to losen up and walk better by the time I'm done. It is well made and folds easily for storage. I have a room full of exercise equipment and if I could keep only one thing, this would be it.

Welcome, Chanelchristian. I use to do Atkins. It does look like a lot of food, but Dr. Atkins says meat is a free food. Looks like it's working for you since your down 6 lbs in one week. Congratulations on the weight loss!
The cravings for the sweets will pass before you know it. I tried to eat a candybar once and was sick for over a day. That really cured me of wanting sugar. I would think you should be in ketosis by now, but it should happen by tomorrow. Don't worry about it anyway, your doing great. I do have one question, are you eating any vegetables? You have just listed meat and dairy.

Hi Su, glad to hear from you.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:18 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

Hi Ladies! If you are reading the daily thread, then you already know about the CT scan for today. The doctor failed to tell me anything about drinking barium shakes before the scan, so I have to go back next Monday. I did get the ultrasounds done today, so at least something is over with.

I have a confession to make. I didn't put my Gazelle together. To be perfectly honest. I am HORRIBLE at assembly. I can do things like drive nails in the wall, but if I get a package of directions, just count me out. I need to work on that. Everytime Rob and I talk about building it, it is too late at night. We are shooting for tomorrow morning since I don't have to be at work until 10ish. I really want this thing built, and I really need to get on it! I feel like crap. This is one of those times in my life where I crave exercise. I must be in bad shape to be craving it!

I haven't read the last thread, but I will catch up in a few minutes. I should be 'back' now. My big family holiday entertaining is over. Had all my family at my place Saturday night, and this was my first time doing that. I was a wreck all week getting prepared, then all this other stuff was going on, so it was full! Glad to be back, I miss you all and will post again after I read all of this.

Oh yeah, with a show of hands, who has tried Sugar Busters?
Also, who has had good success on SS? Trying to find something the whole family (especially son) can eat.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:41 AM   #8  
Ready!!!

Thank you Nickic, looks like I'll be getting one of those. I had a bad dream last night about wild animals and me walking. Looks like I won't be walking after dark for awile.

Jennifer, barium shakes, yummmmm.
Have a large day,
Tazcat
Old 12-17-2002, 05:24 AM   #9  

Hi Everyone:

Dad had his biopsy done yesterday. It is a formality only which
much be done before he can be booked for radiation. It was
quite an ordeal. He had to lie on his stomach completely still
for 45 minutes. This was very, very painful for him because he
has an abdominal hernia and mangled ribs from previous
lung cancer surgeries. They took several x-rays after the
procedure at about 30 minute intervals to make sure his lung
did not colapse and there was no bleeding. He was a wreck as
all of us were. I came home and ate a plate of cookies I had
made and you know I don't do things like that!!
Now I feel lousey and mad at myself. I guess the stress got to me
. I will have to be careful for the rest of the week so I
don't go up in weight!!
Anne.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:31 AM   #10  

Hi eveyone,
Anne, what a stressful day for you and your family, your poor dad must have been so miserable. Don't worry about the cookies. We all do this sometimes. Emotional eating is one reason some of us (or most) gained weight. When you eat something like that, don't feel guilty or berate yourself. It takes too much time and effort and you get nothing out of it, but lower self esteem. This can then lead to more emotional eating. Just notice that you did it, learn from it (such as "I feel really bad physically") and pick up where you were with your woe. Like you said, you don't do stuff like this. Be proud that you can get back on track and proud of your accomplishments so far with your weight loss. You've done great.

Tazcat, if you get a gazelle, I hope you like it. I know it's safer than walking in some places and cooler in the summer (with ac) and warmer in the winter.

Jennifer, I'm so glad your back. I don't read the daily very often, but I'll go see what you've written there too. Wish I could come put the gazelle together for you, it really isn't hard. I've put together that cheapo, pressed wood furniture and that's hard. This has clear instuctions and all the pieces are in a nice holder and identified. I have never been able to build anything with DH, we argue so heatedly over nothing, like the size of a screw or something stupid like that. I have'nt tried SB, but did try SS. I thought I had fairly good results. It is not as rapid, but a more healthy woe than some diets. I have some problems with control, so I had to move on. I think SS would be great for a family and very easy for kids. I love a lot of the recipes in the new book.

Well, got to go and exercise. I've used the Total Gym for 2 days now and my whole body has sore muscles. I'm kind of surprised, I exercise a lot. And, I'm starting on the lowest level with the fewest repititions. I didn't even think I was getting much of a workout the first time. It's a good feeling, I needed to push myself.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:21 AM   #11  

Angry Hello there....

I lost 2 lb. last week. I was very pleasantly surprised as I've had hardly any losses for the past couple of weeks.

ANNE, I am so sorry that your Dad had to go through all that. Please don't beat yourself up over those cookies. As nikki said, we have all been there. A few cookies isn't bad.

Jennifer, glad to see you back! Those barium shakes are great...aren't they? I've had them before when I've had an upper GI. I am HORRIBLE at assemblying too. I just can't read directions. If someone read them to me, and I could put it together as I go, I would be fine. I have tried following SB, but I found it kind of confusing, so I just follow the guidelines, eliminating sugar, white flour, etc. I do think SB has a book geared to kids, but I'm not sure. I do have the SB book, and the concept is like SSzing, except you can have a wider range of veggies, but there are some fruits you cannot have that you can on SSzing. I think they both can be family and kid friendly.

nikki, you're probably exercising different muscle groups when you use the Total Gym. That's why you're muscles are sore. Glad you enjoy it. I'm still waiting for the Freestyle Elite Gazelle. DH has been checking E Bay to see what they have. Thought the gazelle would be good for both DH & I since we have knee problems.

chanelchristian, welcometo our little corner of the board. Congratulations on your weight loss. I have read somewhere that each time you go off a low carb plan, then go back on it, it takes longer to see results. It has something to do with your body being used to low carbing. That could be why you're taking longer to get into ketosis.

Hi Su, & mavaisroux Hope everything is well with you.

Have a good day. Aleka

Last edited by aleka; 12-17-2002 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:42 PM   #12  

I'm back again!

I hope everyone is having a good Tuesday!

ChanelChristian, Welcome! (I live in Georgia too! ) I'm a 2nd time (at least) low carber. It does take a while to get back into ketosis. This time I am not trying for ketosis. I am doing almost no starch/ sugars and doing LOTS of low-carb veges with my meals. It seems to be working!

Anne- I am so sorry about what your dad is going through. I just wish there was someway around all the 'nonsense'. I hope things go better from now on out. Hugs

Aleka- that's an excellent 2 lb loss! You are living right!

Nikki- the total gym sounds great. I've often looked at them, but don't want to buy one more thing just yet. Maybe I'm burning calories just reading about it all!

Taz- I have to worry about when and where to walk too. Its hard to enjoy yourself sometimes. Aren't bad dreams just so hard to shake?

Jennifer, I'm just jealous you are over the holiday parties! I'm gearing up, and I just don't have anything right yet! Bleah on barium!! Make sure you take enough laxatives. I used to do a barium swallow study technique with swallowing patients.... always a problem getting everything moving again. Sooo much fun!
Old 12-17-2002, 04:13 PM   #13  

Hi all,

I started my SSing this past weekend and i'm going strong! However today at work I got to sick I almost fainted and I realized I didn't have enough to eat. There's pretty much just cookies and junk here at the job, so i pick the healthiest out of the bunch, I ate a nuts package. (tiny package w/ raisins, nuts and seeds.) I feel so bad about it but I know I could've had worst!

Aleka- congrats on your weightloss! I also joted down this past weekend the receipe for the cinnamon rolls, can't wait to make them!

Anne- i'm sorry you had such a terrible time, don't feel bad about the cookies. What's done is done, just keeping going w/ your diet. Slips happen.

What gazelle are you all referring to? Is it the one for the informerical w/ Tony Little? How much does it go for? I have a friend that doesn't workout much and is a little heavy, would this be good for someone who was avoiding moving too much, due to easy injuries? Does this work up a good sweat?

chanelchristia- WTG! WOOHOO!

Kathy
Old 12-18-2002, 04:51 AM   #14  
Ready!!!

Morning Chicks, As usual I am trying to read, post and get ready for work, it is now 5:40 so I must hurry. Anne the cookie thing, God knows if it was me It would have been more than cookies. I pray that that is the worse of it.

Meowna, Romans 8:28

SuGeorgia, I must tell you we live in the safest part of the world but the animals around scare me, I have a dog that weighs at least 120 # and I know that he wouldn't let anything hurt me, but this is a great excuse not to get out to walk, But I soon have to get moving and Bernie, darling dog, loves to walk. Well all for now, love Tazcat.

P.S. please love yourself today.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:33 PM   #15  

Evening everyone,
Wow, what a day. The weather was bad last night, cold and windy. Rainy too. But the wind changed and started to blow up from the south and by this morning, it was sunny and warm like spring outside, in the 60's.
I got my very 1st size 1x in, I don't know how long, today. It fits and I can't believe how much a difference it is compared to a 3x. I was holding them up to show DH and it was like a before and after on a commercial. Can't wait to do that with a size 16 compared to the 1x and eventually a 12 compared to a 16. I think I'll always keep one pair of size 26 pants. They were tight once. I never want to forget.
Kathy, the gazelle is the same one tony little sells. Yes, it would be good for someone that is easily injured. If you can shuffle, you can do it. You can buy them on line from their website, Walmart.com or sometimes HSN. Prices vary smaller one is $99 for under 250 lbs. $199 for up to 300.