Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Swimsuits

Discussing swimsuits in another thread, got me thinking about buying a new suit (I do swim more often when I like my swimming suit - but I don't want to pay a fortune, either).

I really need a two piece (with arthritis and mobility/flexibility issues, a 2 piece is much easier to get on and off). I hate solid color suits (especially black), blouson tops, and baggy shorts or split skirt bottoms). I love swimdresses, but would prefer them to be 2 piece (apparently, very difficult to find).

I was wondering if anyone has ever bought from this site (or has other suggestions for a size 4X pear-shaped, arthritic cheapskate)?

http://sanctuarie-net.stores.yahoo.net/nebasuswdr.html

They do have suits that fit my preferences and budget, but their sizing is a bit different than other suits - and they recommend wearing your own bra under their swimsuits, because they don't have much support - that doesn't really appeal to me (just one more piece to have to struggle in and out of - and there's no way I'm wearing a suit without any support).

A few pieces do have shelf bras at least, I'm tempted, just unsure. In their biker short bottoms, you can get inseam lengths of 9, 12, and 15 inches and some of the tops come in lengths between 30 and 40 inches. The extra-length is very appealing. If there was a suit that covered my knees, I'd be in 7th heaven (even if it does look dorky to eveyrone else).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I saw a Youtube video about a woman who had lost a ton of weight with Weight Watchers and she was talking about bathing suits and got hers custom made via some web site. I wish I could find it, but she said it was amazing as she had a few issues including being pregnant at the time so she had specific needs. I'll try to dig up the info. I figure if you have specific needs and want this to be more of a long term investment then it could be an idea to throw out to get one made for you to your specs.

I'll try to find it, maybe someone out there has that info.

There is also that Love Your Peaches web site that has swimsuit separates, perhaps there is a custom made option?

Personally at the weight I am now if I were getting a swimsuit I would totally go for something made for me as I have too many issues that I want covered up lol. Later on when I'm smaller I would probably be more inclined to get something at a store, but I don't personally like swimsuits or the styles out there. I never have and have always felt like covering up more, so I like the idea of separates or whatever...
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #3  

I do like the custom lengths on the site I linked to. I know it would look a bit odd from a fashion perspective, but I really like the idea of the 15" inseam bike shorts (which comparing it to inseams on capris and shorts on the Roaman's website, might actually cover the knee).

As for custom-made suit - I have the sewing skills to actually do that myself (and I've considered it).

Hubby and I used to belong to a health club (with a corporate discount, as I was working for a Fortune 500 company at the time), and there were a lot of members from other countries that had more modest customs regarding women's swimwear. They looked quite a bit like 1980's and 90's aerobics wear. Bright spandex colors and patterns - but fabric to the knee or longer - and often to the elbow. Usually tight-fitting spandex biker shorts or capris, covered with a skirt that came within 3 to 6 inches of the pant hem.

I've thought about making something similar for myself, but I wonder if it wouldn't draw more attention to me and my body shape than wearing something more typical.

I've given it more thought now than in the past, because now I only swim at a warm water therapy pool. I'm usually less self-conscious there because I'm never the oldest, often the youngest, and usually not the fattest in the pool. There are also a lot of scars and disfigurements, so body-confidence is less of an issue. So I'm not sure why my functional, but ugly suit is such an obstacle for me (maybe just a lame excuse).
Old 12-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I personally never understood why swimwear was so skimpy anyhow lol. I always wanted to cover up, so I like the sarongs and things you can do or the skorts or things to cover up more. I guess I'm a bit modest or old fashioned in that regard.

For my weight, I would totally want something to cover up with, no question about it. I also would want a fabric that breathed and held me in lol. I would be very self conscious so having a suit that I liked would be key I think. If you like it, then it is the least of your worries so I can totally understand it. I don't think it is silly or such to focus on the look of the suit. Afterall being the size that we are, we often have to make compromises with clothing. I remember wearing things I absolutely hated, but now I can wear more things. It is not 100% my style, but getting there as more things become available. Having a nice swimsuit would totally make me want to go swimming, but I don't think it is a lame excuse.

Push comes to shove, you can order a suit from that site and if it isn't what they say it is, you can return it or fix it with your sewing skills. It might be a good base.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Kaplods, I love this place for swimming gear.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/

My first swimsuit was a Speedo with the so-called "modest" cut. I didn't know these existed till I went on eBay. Then I saw a lot of them. They tend to promote this cut right in the listing headline & description. I am sure the eBay seller from whom I bought my suit mostly caters to a more religious clientele than I'd consider myself to be. I mean, the modest cut doesn't come with a veil or a wig or anything, but I don't care. It's what helped me get in the pool again when I felt self-conscious about my body.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #6  

Default Plus Size Swimsuits

For a terrific selection of plus size swimsuits and great customer service try AlwaysForMe.com. They have really nice swimsuits from Carol Wior that are very well made - bust support, tummy control, etc... 30% off.

They also have their own line of swimwear that includes tankinis, separates, swim shorts, briefs, etc..

Check out this site for custom made swimsuits ...excelnt.com
plus style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #7  

Thanks, saef and Jacquie668

Your posts got me searching and thinking outside the box and I think I've found exactly what I want (and I think I even have the patterns in my size to duplicate it) - so all I really need is the fabric, and maybe some elastic.

Here's the pic - I found it on a site that makes custom suits (in any size) and sells patterns also (they don't yet have plus-size patterns, but they're planning on adding them).

http://www.modestswimwearsolutions.com/

It looks to me like I can use a pattern for biker shorts or capris (which I already have), and a short or cap sleeve princess cut blouse (which I probably have, or should be able to find easily enough).

I don't know if I'll have much selection in fabric this time of year (I want a heavy non-transparent lycra spandex), but sewing my own seems much more feasible with this style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suit.jpg (17.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by kaplods; 12-30-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #8  

Thanks, plus style

I love the fabric choices at the exelnt.com site

And the alwaysforme.com site has a wonderful selection (but it looks like I'm a bit past the largest size they seem to carry). I added it to my favorites anyway, because when I lose a little more weight, I'll be suit shopping again (an I'm sure I'm not going to always want to make my own suit).