Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #1  
Ready for a new me!

S/C/G: 240/240/140

Height: 5'4

Wink Newbie

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and get to know people who have or will be going through the same experience.

I have been fighting doctors for about a year now to let me have WLS done. They were not convinced that I needed it nor did they believe that I had problems beyond being overweight. Well is been a rough year but I NOW am on my way to a new me! I went to my seminar Dec 17 and got insurance approval Dec 21. I have alot of questions and still have no idea what surgery want performed. Any advise or insight would help out tremendously. I am looking for friends that I can chat with now and that will be by my side through the surgery and afterwards. I hope to meet alot of you and good luck to everyone and their journeys!

Jess
tysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Hi Jess

Welcome. Congrats on your approval. What surgery did your insurance approve.

there are basically 4 options

Lapband
Rny
Vertical Sleeve
Duodenal Switch.

I suggest you research all of them to determine which one best suits your lifestyle, needs and ability to comply with protein and supplement requirements.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #3  
Ready for a new me!

S/C/G: 240/240/140

Height: 5'4

I havent fully decided on which surgery I will be having but the insurance has approved all but the DS as far as I understand. I will be calling the insurance company today to find out for sure because then I can rule out the ones they dont cover and put my research effort into the others. I first wanted the Lapband but after many days of reading, i just dont think it fits me. So my next one that i am really considering is RNY. I choose this one because I have a MAJOR sweet tooth So I figured with the dumping syndrom I could push myself away from my down fall. But like I said I havent fully made a decision. My surgery will not be until early February so I still have some time. Thank you

Jess
tysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I picked RNY because of the dumping potential (but only about 30% of all patients dump so you can't count on that forever either)... and the malabsorption.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Don't count on dumping - like Nessa already mentioned, only about 30% of RNYers actually dump long term.

I chose the DS for many reasons, most importantly for the 98+% type 2 diabetes cure rate (I was diagnosed with type 2 less than a year before I had my surgery - it was what prompted me to seek surgery at only 25 years old). There were many other reasons I would have chosen the DS even if I didn't have diabetes (if I'd decided to have surgery at all), but I'll let you find those through your research and decide for yourself.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I still dump almost 2 years out. It's just in a much milder way. I picked the RNY for that effect as well. I needed the good kick in the pants to stop the fat and sugar binges I was on. It WORKED!!! I don't even want small amounts of somethings anymore.

Good luck and as the other ladies said, research research research!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-29-2009 at 02:59 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #7  

Welcome! If you have any questions, ask away! That's what we are here for.

I have dumped maybe a handful of times. I wish I was a dumper as sweets can be a challenge for me for sure!

Dawn
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote