Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default How will this time be different than all the other times?

Hi y'all....it's been awhile since I've posted. So it's almost a new year, and once again, I didn't keep the promise I made to myself to get rid of this weight. (yes, I am 10 lbs less than this time last year, but no other real progress has been made.)

The fact is....I'm running out of time to get this done. My body can't take much more abuse that I am putting it through. I have been over 300 lbs for nearly all of my adult life, and only by the grace of God have I avoided diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. But I know I can't beat the odds forever.

So...this is the year I am changing my ways. It has to be.

Thanks for all your support over the years, and for the great support I know I will get from you all in the future.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Great to see you again, Jen! I wish you all the luck in the world.

I honestly can't tell you what makes this time different from all the other times for me, but I know I just couldn't live that life anymore. I am also working hard on understanding how I got to that place in my life so I can avoid going back, but it's a day to day battle, a moment to moment opportunity to chose health. Some days and moments are a breeze, others are harder. But isn't that true of everything in life?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Don't underestimate those 10 lbs. It's a bigger achievement than most people realize (even for those of us with so much to lose).

I didn't beat the odds, I have a lot of health problems caused by my weight, and even so - the small changes have made huge differences.

After losing only about 30 lbs (which took about two years), my sleep apnea disappeared.

I'm convinced that most people give up the weight loss battle, because they see small successes as big failures, and give up in frustration.

Recognize the acheivement of those 10 lbs (and the 27, you've lost in total) -they're a much bigger success than you realize.

That 10 lbs already puts you in the minority. At ALL starting weights, most people do not achieve even a 10 lb per year loss - in the weight loss race, you're not at the back of the pack - you're in the lead (yes, even with only a 10 lb loss - and most especially with the 27 lb cumulative loss).

I'm averaging very small losses compared to ever in my dieting life - but I've lost more than I ever have, cumulatively just by sheer persistance. From beginning to now, I'm in my fourth year of weight loss (so averaging less than 20 lbs per year). Every pound counts - even the slow ones.

The turtle really can win this one.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm at the beginning of another attempt now so I'm not ready to say this is it, but it darn well better be! And this time around, for the first time, I've given myself a date as my goal and am making that more my focus than how much I want to lose. I want to still be working the plan one year from the day I started. I'm hoping that is the "it" factor for me.

Also, I'm very well aware that if I give up yet again, I WILL gain it all back plus 5-10. I just can not do that to myself.

Good luck! Find your "it factor" and just go for it!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

I want this to be it, I hope and pray this is it, but I can't be positive.

However, if I had to choose one thing that makes this time different from all the others, it has to be the fact that I'm closer than ever to that 300 pound mark...and the day that scale says 300 pounds...

I can't even say it.
redreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #6  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

This time I tracked my average calorie deficit, rather than my weight to measure my progress. That way I could get away from "all-or-nothing" thinking. If I ate way more than I planned at one meal, I could see I could still keep my average in line by working out more over the next few days, rather than just thinking "I blew it, may as well eat everything I want for rest of day and start over tomorrow".
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/190

Height: 5'9"

I know how you feel! I lost *only* 10 lbs this year, but it all jumped back on during the holiday season, so I'm working on the same 10 lbs AGAIN. The hardest part is the negativity I have toward myself. Honestly, I think if I could start treating myself better, it would be an easier journey. Hang in there - you can do it!
bcort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #8  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

For me, what is different this time around is THIS HAS TO BE THE LAST TIME I do this to myself. I'm 42 years old, I have a fairly small frame and the 270+ is literally killing me. I can't move like I want to, I can't get out of a chair without heaving myself up, I can't clean myself easily in the shower or in the bathroom (sorry, gross!), I am getting rashes and boils under skin folds, I have "out grown" the biggest size at Walmart, making buying clothes very expensive, I huff and puff just getting out of bed, walking to the bathroom, peeing and getting back into bed. Enough is enough!!

Either I am going to change and LIVE or not and die. It might be a slow yucky downhill slide for the next 20 years as I continue to gain 10-20 lbs a year but death it will be. I want to live to see my kids grow up and have kids.

I want to live! That is what is different.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I agree about not sneezing at the 10 lbs. and the truth is, if you've lost 27 and kept it off, you have been making progress in your habits and ways of thinking.

I never suffered from diabetes or high blood pressure, but I knew at over 300 lbs, having difficulty walking, sleep apnea in my TWENTIES' plus, having trouble finding clothes that fit in large sized stores, and all the social negatives that went along with it, yes, I had to do something.

my work has been cumulative over the years, not all of it in one or even two years. yes, I would rather lose it faster, I'm working on it, and every ten lbs no matter how long it takes is a victory to me.

PS my highest actual weight was 330 and not 320, 320 is a number from later on, anyway, my point is, the difference between 330 and 238 is GIGANTIC, so my advice would be don't get too caught up in the numbers, work on your health and getting your weight down, and don't psych yourself out. your way of thinking will change as you progress, and it really will get easier as you go along.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 12-28-2009 at 03:13 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #10  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

10 pounds off your body is nothing to scoff at! 10 less is better than 10 more!

In fact, here's a recent story that made me think about looking at losing in 10 pound increments instead of looking at 100+ pounds to lose:

The other day, I carried around my new baby nephew who weighs about 10 pounds and the next day my arm muscles were sore!!! I thought about how difficult it is for my body to carry even one extra pound, let alone 10 or 100 and how much a difference it would make to my body once I get the first 10 pounds off.

So, I say GREAT JOB on losing and keeping off 10 pounds!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #11  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Thanks, y'all...I know I can always count on support from here! And you are right--I should celebrate the pounds I have been able to keep off the past year!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #12  

This is really my first weight loss attempt. To be honest, I've never really tried to lose weight. My only problem is that I love food too much, and unfortunately it's the bad kind. My only three real incentives to lose weight is to look better in clothes, to avoid all the health problems that I see are affecting the rest of my overweight and obese family members and to be able to do all the things that I can't do at my current weight right now.
Lucky Charm is offline   Reply With Quote