Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171

Height: 4'11

Default Thyroid and PCOS and frustrated

I'm writing this thread feeling incredibly frustrated. I have been using 3fatchicks.com since August - I stumbled on it one day and found the site incredibly informitive and encouraging. I was diagnosed with hypothryoidism in 2004 and have had one heck of a long battle trying to get regulated. In 2005 I was finally referred to an endocrinologist where I was then diagnosed with insulin resistant Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. In August I was doing amazing - so well in fact that my doctor for the first time since 2004 actually DECREASED my synthroid from 112 mcg to 100 mcg and my cytomel from 3 times per day to just 2. I had reached an all time low weight since being diagnosed of 163 lbs and felt I was truely on my way to success. That being said we had to move for my husbands career and everything went downhill. I found the gym near us less user friendly and quit my 3-4 time per week swimming... dropped down to like 1-2 times per week. My diet really struggled which of course I could rationalize with all kinds of mumbo jumbo ... we no longer have daily markets near us... our grocery stores don't carry the kind of ezekial bread I like and so on and so on. Well i've landed myself right where I knew it was headed. For starters i've gained 13lbs back putting me at 171 lbs and for the last 4 weeks i've noticed looking back on it that my energy has been slowly decreasing. I feel like I have mono - which is in fact a possibility but needless to say I had to find a new PCP being that I'm in a new area - and go crawling in needing help. She ordered 4 viles of blood today - testing everything under the sun. When in fact i'm sure it's that my thyroid is no longer regulated. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has been diagnosed with both hypothroid (Hashimoto's to be exact) and PCOS? I get so frustrated with all of this. It's weird... even when regulated I still have bad days - almost like someone with chronic fatigue - ya know you eat the wrong things.. overload my body with carbs and then i'm exhausted and have poor mental clarity... but as a result of some bad days I push and push and push myself through it all thinking it's just a bad day, that turns into a bad week, and before I know it I realize that I haven't felt "myself" in almost a month. Well I suppose for tonight i'll end here. Will probably start blogging soon - just a good place to finally start acknowledging that I have a chronic lifelong genetic medical issue. Not that I haven't acknowledged up to this point.. but I feel so exposed even writing this. Any feedback would be encouraging at this point!

fightingthefight
fightingthefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I feel your pain- I don't have thyroid issues but I have PCOS and sleep apnea. Honestly you and I both know carbs are TERRIBLE for us- so if you can stay away as much as possible- as for the bread can anyone you know buy it for you and send it to you? Then you can freeze some loaves and keep it. Heck I'm sure you can find a place online to buy it and have it shipped if it's that important to you. I mean I'm assuming you know that "white" carbs are bad for you since you have PCOS- but I'm not sure what your diet needs to be for your thyroid condition.

I too struggle with tiredness from my sleep apnea- it's not an easy thing to deal with always being tired.

It's good you are going to a doctor- maybe they will consider raising your prescriptions again?

Find a gym you like again and go back- it's very easy to slip back into our old habits- you've only gained 13 lbs back so far- don't turn it into anymore!

Last edited by beerab; 12-07-2009 at 11:02 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

I know exactly what you mean when you say that you feel like you have mono. I am also hypothroid (and have had mono); when my throid hormone level is off, I feel just like I felt when I had mono. It is miserable. The fatigue is just overwhelming and you wonder how you can even manage the easiest tasks. I hope your doctor figures out what to do to get you back to feeling normal.

Keep on keeping on; things will improve and you will be back on track.

Cheers,

J

Last edited by LotusMama; 12-08-2009 at 12:25 AM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 171

Height: 4'11

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I'm feeling better tonight - my labs came back today and it was indeed the thyroid - not mono or pregnancy . I have an appt monday with the doctor and should be up and running again soon. I pushed myself to get to yoga today which always uplifts my spirit and usally my energy.
I recently read on another member's blog- can't recall which member's - but they had a quote about no matter how many times we have to pick ourselves up keep doing it because this time might be the time. I find it to be such a true quote and very motivating!

Thanks again!
fightingthefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 400/400/180

Height: 5'5"

I have hypothyroid and PCOS. I'm exhausted all the time. Just got on Synthroid about three months ago. It's terrible. I've gained twenty pounds since starting the medication - this week after really really trying to eat healthy and exercise, I'm down about three pounds. Thank GOD! I saw my doctor today and got more blood drawn to check my levels so we'll see! Anyway I wish you the best of luck! Don't get discouraged! We need to keep moving forward always!
Bridezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #6  
Fitness Guru

S/C/G: 186.6/165.6/130

Height: 5'6"

Bridezilla,
Has your doctor placed you on Metformin by chance? While this is usually used for diabetics, it is also helpful as a therapy regime for PCOS. Often times it helps people with PCOS to lose weight. If you do take this, you need to have your B12 checked, because Metformin can interfere with the ability of your cells to absorb B12. As for the Synthroid, long term therapy can lead to Osteoporsis. You may also ask about Meridia for help with the weight loss. Or you may be a candidate for Phnetermine (not to be confused with Fen/Phen). Best of luck to you, and if you need any help with a weight loss program let me know.

Susanne

Last edited by YiaYia; 12-26-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to address to whom I was speaking
YiaYia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #7  

Hi Fighting the fight
Yes I have PCOS, and was diagnosed with it over 20 years ago. Most of that time I also had undiagnosed Hashimotos too. Hashimotos is not just hypothyroid, it is an autoimmune disease where you can have flares. That is what happened to me, when they would test my thyroid levels they were fine because I wasn't having a flare up. I have had to have my thyroid removed because of thyroid cancer several years ago and I do feel much better but I wouldn't recomend it to anyone. I take Metformin for my PCOs and have for about 15 years, I love it and would not go off it for any thing. I am on levothyroxine for my thyroid and I'm doing well on that too. Once everything is treated well you will feel wonderful, I know I do.

Yiayia, synthriod therapy does not lead to osteporosis unless you are way over prescribed. It can cause heart arrythmias at too high of a dose also as well as lots of hormone problems. That's why it is immportant to get regular testing while on it, but it is very very safe if used as it should be.
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote