General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default Do the holidays stress you out?

The holidays really stress me out for some reason. I don't really like the crowds and for some people on my list, I have a difficult time selecting gifts. Plus I am having a family Christmas party on the evening of the 23rd and my house is a PIG STY right now. Everything always comes together at the last moment and I know it'll be fine, but I always get super stressed out and start to feel really cranky.

There have also been several dinners out with friends and work lunches over the past week, so I'm feeling a little yucky over that. I'm taking a break from logging my calories right now but am still basically eating the same things (except for all these restaurant meals). I'm still weighing daily, though, and haven't gained (or lost), so I'm good with that. Right now, my plan is to maintain through New Year's Day and then get right back on the horse. I need to lose at least another 10 pounds. But for now, I'm just happy that I'm not gaining with all this holiday stress!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Oh, I am right there with you! We have had an inordinate number of functions to attend this year. I have been losing, although at a much smaller rate. And while I'm watching my calories and using portion control there are times when my weight is all over the place. I blame the sodium from eating catered food. After a couple of days I see a drop, but it's weird to gain 3 pounds overnight when you KNOW that you have done everything right the night before. I almost found myself thinking, 'what's the point? If I'm going to gain 3 pounds from the night before then I might as well have eaten like I did last year?!?!' But, I don't sabatoge myself like that. And in a couple of days I see a payoff (either a small loss or the weeks previous wt).

It's a landmine out there, yet I'm still having fun and looking forward to the big day. Like you, if I don't gain--I am sucessful!!!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #3  

Yeah, I've done well at avoiding the cookies/candies/junk food thus far, but this next week should be a mine field of frosted sugar cookies, fudge, beef stick/cheese/crackers, and other treats that have sunk me in the past. My plan right now is to only indulge in those items at my party and a little on Christmas Day; no week-long permission to pig out for me!

So, I'm complaining about what a mess the house is.....it seems like I should START CLEANING, huh!!!! LOL
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

flylady.net has a good lesson on 'crisis cleaning' you might found helpful. Remember that your family is coming to see YOU, not your house.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #5  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

do the holidays stress me out!?!? once i threw a dinner roll at hubbys head- in front of his whole family. I was in the kitchen and he was in the living room.

today I did something monumentally stupid- I went to wal-mart. I had a panic attack and had to go get some cigarettes! Trying to quit- but i couldn't deal!! it was so packed. just had to get all my stocking stuffers though. and the secret santa gift for work. and a present for a friend. and the white elephant gift for the family party. and now i've got to deal with my pig-sty and we just bought a new house so we've got to get some stuff- rugs for the door, bathroom stuff for the guest bathroom... and then, and then and then!! omg meltdown coming soon!!

i still have to do the food shopping and cook up some goodies. seriously. panic attack. where's my pack!??!!

merry freaking christmas!!!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #6  
♪♫ Katie ♫♪

S/C/G: 339/298(+/-)/180

Height: 5'3"

I get stressed out anytime I have to go see family. Holiday or not. I'm just not that close to them and always feel out of place.

Stress automaticaly comes with a Holiday for me. lol That's when it's hardest for me to maintain, let alone loose. And I'm such a picky eater that I have to cook my own meals for holidays even though we go to my Cousin's and Aunt's houses. For Thanksgiving and Christmas I usually eat Chicken Cacciatore but other times it's a free for all on side dishes(I'm not a fan of a lot of meats. Especially ham, pork, etc). Usually end up grabbing something quick(minus the healthy) on other holidays. :-/

Tomorrow I have to go to the market for my mom. AND dice up the chicken and veggies for the Cacciatore which slow cooks for 8 hours.
Speaking of cooking....guess I need to clean the kitchen again. EEKS! :S
StargateAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #7  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

I stress out all the time. The holidays make no difference. I haven't really stressed out too much about the holidays this year though. Except..I waited too long to buy stamps, and now there are no stamps!!!!!!!!!!!! The post office has been out of stamps for 2 weeks. So I'm pretty much screwed. I'll have to send out my cards after Christmas. I just feel soooooo bad about that. But its better late then never. Oh..and my hubby & I did get in a fight at the mall over ipod speakers, lol. It was really lame. But it was too crowded & too noisy to think straight.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 View Post
I stress out all the time. The holidays make no difference. I haven't really stressed out too much about the holidays this year though. Except..I waited too long to buy stamps, and now there are no stamps!!!!!!!!!!!!
It might be too late for you today, but I can buy stamps at most of my local grocery stores. You won't get the nice selection that you get at the post office, but maybe they'll still have a book or two at the grocery store?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I try my best NOT to stress out over anything anymore. It is really bad for my health, for my family's health and it makes me feel like crap afterwards. I try to pick my battles so to speak. I am doing pretty well on NOT stressing this holiday too. This is a complete turn around from just a couple of years ago when everything had to APPEAR perfect. Now, I guess I would rather be okay on the inside and not worry about the bits hanging out.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:47 AM   #10  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
It might be too late for you today, but I can buy stamps at most of my local grocery stores. You won't get the nice selection that you get at the post office, but maybe they'll still have a book or two at the grocery store?
Nope. I went to 3 grocery stores that are all within 20 mins of each other. They're all sold out. I'm just gonna write a little PS at the bottom of each card saying sorry for the delay. It's better late than never, right?
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 View Post
Nope. I went to 3 grocery stores that are all within 20 mins of each other. They're all sold out. I'm just gonna write a little PS at the bottom of each card saying sorry for the delay. It's better late than never, right?
Absolutely! I know that I am still happy to get Christmas cards after the day of the holiday, so I'm sure that others are, too. I hope your day was enjoyable!
Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #12  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

The post office was out of stamps? Wow that is a new one for me! What is the world come to??

Do the Holidays cause me stress? Is the Pope Catholic?

Actually this year I have done better (I think) than I ever have. I am really working on being peaceful and taking one moment at a time. But I will be so very happy when all this food crazed stuff is done and I can get back to my humble abode and chill...away from the hustle & bustle!

Christmas cards? We started them...that is all I can say! It does seem as though that we received less in the mail this year...

<deep breath> I wonder if this was what Mary & Joesph thought that 1st Christmas...
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

absolutely!!!

I hate having lots of stuff on my schedule, I'm really a low key, can I just stay at home 80% of the time kind of person. I was running around soooo much the last couple weeks, I ended up passing out at my office Christmas party and having the ambulance called. It was really embarrassing. I'm hoping things settle down real soon cause I don't think I can handle to much more running around.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
absolutely!!!

I hate having lots of stuff on my schedule, I'm really a low key, can I just stay at home 80% of the time kind of person. I was running around soooo much the last couple weeks, I ended up passing out at my office Christmas party and having the ambulance called. It was really embarrassing. I'm hoping things settle down real soon cause I don't think I can handle to much more running around.
Oh wow, that is definitely the most stressed-out holiday reaction I've heard of yet. I hope things settle down for you, too!

I'm glad the stressful stuff is over for the most part. I am still in my pajamas and have already had a nap today, and it's only 1 PM. Today is going to be a "down-time" day!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
Oh wow, that is definitely the most stressed-out holiday reaction I've heard of yet. I hope things settle down for you, too!

I'm glad the stressful stuff is over for the most part. I am still in my pajamas and have already had a nap today, and it's only 1 PM. Today is going to be a "down-time" day!
Thanks, I may make an appt with my doc, as I'm still feeling "off" I'm starting to wonder if I have an ear infection or something.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote