Old 12-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

Default Has anyone ever had shin splints?

I've been running for a couple of months now and had quite a bit of shin pain at first, so I've done a lot to try to prevent splints. I found some awesome running shoes, did stretches before running meant to prevent splints, etc. My shins have been fine until day.

I didn't have any unusual shin pain during my run, but afterward - ouch. I'm just not sure if it's a "shin splint." It doesn't hurt constantly...it's just sporadic sharp shooting pains up and down my shins. Does this sound like a shin split? Is there something else I should be doing to protect my shins?

Last edited by angee phalangee; 12-20-2009 at 07:38 PM.
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

hmmm... did you run on a different type of surface or different incline today? That could be a cause. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm clueless
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

I did - I ran outside on the road for the first time. I knew there was a chance that would cause some shin problems, but I've gotta get used to running outside eventually. I'm training to run a 5k in April. I just don't know how to make it work without killing my legs.
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

That sounds like shin splints to me. I have them, and they really bothered me when I started running on the treadmill - but, after a few times my legs got used to it. I'd say take it easy outside, but keep doing it, and your legs should adjust.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #5  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

It could be the beginning of shin splints =(. I would spend some time alternating between ice and heat after finishing your run. And if the pain gets bad while running, stop. Its not worth it to push it too far... you don't want a stress fracture!

I had shin splints my senior year of high school at the end of cross-country season. I had to sit out the last week of training and then ran through the pain for our league finals... OOWWWW. But we won!
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #6  

you are supposed to rest shin splints and avoid running for a while....at least that is what my ortho doc told me when I had them....I was only walking and he said not to do that. They can cause little tears in your muscles or connective tissue that can cause major problems if you overdo it. You can apply ice and take some antiinflammatories for them in the meantime. Also, if you have access to an indoor pool..you can swim for you exercise or bicycle. He told me to avoid doing the activity that caused the shin splints until the pain is gone and then go back into it gradually. Sorry, I know how frustrating it is when you want to exercise but cant. I hope you get better soon!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #7  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Shin splints are tendonitis of the medial tibial tendon. Sharp shooting pain does NOT sound like shin splints.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #8  

When I had shin splints...they hurt...and yes I would get sharp pains at times ......tendonitis is very painful and can cause sharp pains for sure! Also, some have painful shins from stress fractures in the tibia....that is from activities such as running, stair climbing etc. Flat feet can cause them too....arches for the shoes may help. Some never get shin splints but I do unfortunately and they hurt like heck when you try to exercise with them.....best to rest them and let them heal.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #9  
A double-chinned doctor.

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Just want to point out that there are multiple causes of shin splints. The phrase "shin splints" itself is really kind of a catch-all for all shin pain. Sometimes it's muscular strain, sometimes it's the muscle pulling away from the tibia, sometimes it's really the beginnings of a stress fracture. Typically rest is the most appropriate treatment. And as the last poster pointed out, if you are flat-footed, this can definitely contribute.

My advice would be to check with your doctor if it doesn't improve with ice and rest. And if you're running on a new surface, go slow. Even small changes in a running routine can aggravate shin pain.
april714 is offline   Reply With Quote