Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #61

Good Morning, Flowers! It is sunny and -6 degrees as I type. I have "lunch bunch" this noon since we had to cancel last week because of the storm. My plan is do sort through (pitch) the pile of catalogs and write some Christmas cards before I go.

The lady, where I subbed for card club last night, has Christmas in every room. She has shelves of Santas, moving Santa displays, Santas of every kind everywhere, and a lots of lighted village pieces. I asked her how long it took her to decorate and she said that she and her husband do most of it over a weekend. She had glass Christmas dishes instead of the usual paper; she likes to do fancy "cooking" so had lots of different finger foods that were all home made. It made me wish I'd gotten some of my "stuff" out -- maybe I will this afternoon.

Susan -- What is a Chinese gift exchange? I hope you had fun! Did you take a covered dish or eat out first? Either way you are lucky you didn't have to get into a cold car! Our town is small enough that by the time I get to where I'm going the car has warmed up.

"Gma" -- I'll bet Jack had as much fun as the kids when he played Santa. I would love to hear Thomas play his violin; I'll bet he is good! Enjoy the program -- I wouldn't like the seating arrangement either! I hope you continue to be on the mend with your cold.

I need to get the rest of my day going so it looks like I accomplished something when Bob comes home for lunch. Have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 12-15-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is warming up here in the heartland so the snow will melt. We went for a long drive yesterday to a small town if you could call it a town anyway Will needed some scope covers and they have that huge gun shop there. I probably already told you about that shop. He also got a real nifty case for his rifle there that has lots of pockets and hook on thingies that was dirt cheep. Wal*Mart has one that is just plain which cost twice as much with no pockets or anything which isn’t as good a quality than this one and so we thought we found a real deal. That is all for his varmint gun which I got him for Christmas. He is going to have some fun with it for sure. He is getting some traps also and will do some trapping of the streams around here. I would like for him to get a few coyotes and I will make myself a vest out of that wonderful soft under belly. I used to have a jacket made of coyote fur and it was so soft. It was a fun drive. We also saw a few v’s of geese flying south.

I have the blaaas this day but am not letting it get me down. Got some clover leaf rolls rising and center cut boneless pork chops thawing for dinner. Green salad and some green beans will round it out. For dessert will be some sugar free fat free pudding.

I got a couple of houses packed in small boxes that will then be put into a larger box with peanuts to ship off to Texas. I have a couple houses cut out and so will be working on them this afternoon. I’ve just about got all done that I got asked to do for Christmas then I can start on some other things. I certainly have enough to keep me busy.

The parties this past weekend went quite well. The gift I ended up at the party was a neat wallet that closed like a compact. The outside was some fancy design in loud colors that appeals to teens. There was a young lady that fell in love with it and her birthday is this coming Wednesday so I just gave it to her for that. Anyway it was fun and all that attended had a great time.

DONNA FAYE I do hope you are feeling better now. That can be rough especially this time of the year when we take on more than normal. I can just see Jack in my minds eye at that party. He is wonderful to do that ya know.

SUSAN I too was wondering what the Chinese gift exchange is. Is it one of the games where you can take the gift from someone that you want. I know the old saying of a Chinese giver is one that gives then takes it back.

JEAN That woman’s house sounds like she really is into decorating. What are her village houses made of? I have seen some really cute ceramic sets and some wood also. And of course my glass village pieces.

Well folks it has been lovely chatting with you this day. Too hip, gotta go now. Type at y’all later

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all! It is cold and cloudy here but we aren't expecting any rain and certainly not any snow.

T's program was really cute last night. I will try and get Jack to download the video of his violin solo and post it. Get this, Jack videotaped the whole program last night, came back sat down and said he didn't get any of the program but T's solo. I asked him what happened and he said he forgot to put on the record button! Brother, husbands! It was just so cute with all the kids. T did a small speaking part then was part of the chinese dragon, which he almost forgot to do, but all in all a cute program. It got really hot in the gym though and I was dizzy so we had to scoot out as soon as it was done and get out into the cooler air. I am still getting over this cold and had a terrific headache all night last night. I just hope it clears up soon so I am over it before Ruth gets here.

Today is wrap presents day and clean bathrooms or at least start on some of the stuff. I have clinic tomorrow afternoon so won't get much done. We are going to go out and look for a tree, but if they are ridiculously expensive we will just haul our big fake tree out of the attic. It is a beautiful tree, just very, very big.

Jean: Have fun today. Who won card club, you and your partner? Thomas is much better on his piano than violin and he had a couple squeakers last night, but did a very nice job. Jack did have fun with the boys, but the santa suit is hot and he started peeling it off as he left the church. I guess the man who always did their santa, refused to do it anymore. Jack may be in it for at least a couple more years.

Susan: I too want to know what a Chinese gift exchange is. Sounds like fun.

Maggie: Those new style wallets are really popular this year. I saw them all over the place at the carrousel of shoppes this year. Kelly bought herself one with her initial on it. With all the junk I carry in my wallet, I am not sure I would ever be able to close one of them.

Well gals, I need to get to work and get morning chores done, breakfast and then get upstairs and start to work on stuff. Have a great hump day all!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it is warming up today! I need to work on my Christmas cards; I'd like to get them done and mailed. We haven't received as many as we usually do, but it is still early.

Maggie -- I hope your "blahs" have disappeared by now . . . been there and done that one too, as we all have. I don't know which theme, or if the Christmas village was a complete set, but I'm guessing they were the ones that the local Hallmark store carried for years. I think they called it Dept. 54 or some such thing. She had trees, rivers, ponds, and all the accessories to go with the houses and buildings.

"Gma" -- I had ho-hum cards at card club the other night. If I would have been playing Gin Rummy I would have won big time, but as it was I ended up in the middle of the pile. We deal 3 hands if everyone passes on the first 2, and then the dealer has to name trump if no one bids. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not. I'm glad Jack recorded the most important part of T's program!

I have to make some phone calls so had better get a move on. Have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all! I probably made the chair person for the clinic mad because I emailed her this morning and said I couldn't work, but I am still not feeling up to snuff and shouldn't be around kids with this cough. I wanted to wait and see if it improved and thought it might, but I am still coughing and it is breaking up and I don't want to give any kids this stuff so I am not going in. I hate doing it last minute, but I imagine they will survive. After all, I probably got it from one of the kids who came in last week! lol

Jean: I really miss playing cards. Jack taught me how to play double deck pinnochle years ago, but I have forgotten how to play that. I can still play Euchre and Pitch, which are similar, one played in the north and the other out in Texas, but there is no one to play with around here. Tom and Kelly are not card players. There isn't a Euchre club here as no one knows how to play it here. Jack wanted me to learn bridge, but seems way too complicated to be fun. We are fairly cold here and it was chilly yesterday all day.

I still have so much to do and am really running out of time. I am going to get the bathrooms done today and finish T's sock so I can wash and dry them and wrap them. I have two gifts of Ruthie's to wrap and the socks and then all the stuff is wrapped. I did it yesterday.

Part of the problem of not getting stuff done is this cold has moved into my head now and I have a terrible headache all the time. All you want to do is sit very still or sleep. I have slept in the chair for 4 nights now because I can't sleep lying down. I am at crunch time so headache or no headache, I have to get cleaning done. We didn't even go and look at trees yesterday because I just wasn't up to it.

You all have a good day and keep warm and dry today!
Faye
Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is peeking through the clouds and it is "warmer" at 22 degrees. We're supposed to get up to 28, and stay in the upper 20s for a few days. We are leaving for Sioux Falls after lunch. Ian and Zowie's church day care are having their Christmas program is at 6:30 and I would like to wander through the mall first. I expect to hear at least one true Christmas carol since it is in the church.

"Gma" -- I hope you feel lots better as the day goes along. I don't blame you for not going to the clinic; I'm sure the head chick wouldn't want you there if you're coughing and not feeling 100%. We used to play double deck pinochle and that was my favorite game. We've not played in years so have no clue how to even start. I'd love to learn again. Playing cards is cheap entertainment! I hope you get everything on your "to do" list done today. If you don't get done, it will be waiting for you tomorrow.

I need to figure out what I am wearing this afternoon and get a move on. Have a nice day . . . remember the choice is yours!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Well I do feel much better this day. My coffee tastes great this day which is an indication this cold is leaving my body. I cleaned my kitchen yesterday, not that it was dirty but I had not put up some of the large pots I had used, than washed, from the chili feed party. They were clean and just sitting around and needed to be put back in their home. I sat down and planned what I will be making for our New Years party . For starters I am thinking of making a batch of that ~ OH so good ~ Sees Fudge, popcorn balls, then closer to the time I’ll be getting some sandwiches from the shop that makes great trays. I’ll get some fizzy grape juice for our toast at midnight and make some hot chocolate (my WW lightened kind of course) and sodas to drink earlier. It is a finger food pot luck type thing because folks always want to bring stuff so I let them. We will end up with chips and dip and an assortment of other snack items. I am sure some of the guys will want to play Monopoly with me so that will keep us busy through the hours. Will can entertain those who don’t play Monopoly. He doesn’t play that game. He is more a Trivial Pursuit game type and really could have written that game for sure. He knows a lot of trivial things.

For Christmas our menu (per Will’s request) Meatloaf, agratin potatoes, asparagus, leafy green salad, green Jell-O salad, whole cranberry sauce with mandarin orange sections and pecans, clover leaf rolls. I never heard anyone having meatloaf for Christmas but that is his request. I must admit that I get rave compliments on my meatloaf though every time I do serve it. It is never the same though for I don’t follow a recipe. I usually put chopped onions, garlic, celery, and mushrooms in it along with the other binding agents and spices along with a packet of dry onion soup.

DONNA FAYE I agree that it was a good idea that you didn’t go to work this day. I know I would never like to pass a cold on to children for sure. I am sure you will get all done that needs to be done before your gal comes. I know you will have fun with her being there. Teens are sure different than when we were teens aren’t they.

JEAN I used to play Canasta for hours on end with my sisters and cousins but haven’t played in years. I don’t have anyone around here that likes playing cards except some little ones that like UNO which I will play with them. I think card clubs is an out east thing and we didn’t so much have them out west except for the gamboling kind. I don’t know though, they may have been there and I was just not aware of them.

SUSAN What are you up to this day?

Time to do something constructive. Have a wondrful day folks. Type at y'all late

I am back again to post ~ a good recipe received from my WW leader and what I just got in the mail:

FORGOTTEN COOKIES
Make before bed
Forget about them until morning!
Preheat oven to 350º

2 egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips,
coarsely chopped

Cover cookie sheet with foil and
spray with cooking spray
Beat egg whites until foamy;
slowly add sugar and
beat until stiff peaks form.
Add salt and vanilla; mix well.
Add chips and nuts; mix well.
Drop by teaspoon onto
cookie sheet.
Put into oven.
TURN OVEN OFF!
DO NOT OPEN UNTIL MORNING.

The whole recipe is 30 points.
Each cookie value depends
on how many cookies you make

I got 3 new books and am excited to sit down and enjoy going through them.

BBQ ~ 100 recipes from America’s best smokehouses, pits, shacks, rib joints, roadhouses, and restaurants. By Ardie A. Davis & Chef Paul Kirk.

WOOD-FIRED COOKING Techniques and recipes for the grill, backyard oven, fireplace, and campfire. By Mary Karlin

COOKING THE COWBOY WAY Recipes inspired by campfires, chuck wagons, and ranch kitchens. By Grady Spears with June Naylor

All three of these books have great pictures and other information besides recipes. I’m gonna have fun and Will is jazzed also.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-17-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #8  

Good evening, ladies! It's down to 33 and we have a 90% chance of snow on Saturday.

I've had 3 Christmas parties in 4 days. The on today was the last one, as much as I enjoyed them, I'm tired of juggling points. I received several more gifts. I particularly like one I received last night at Bee - a journal for next year and a pen with a note to sit down every night before I go to bed and write down I blessing I received that day. Some days will be easy and some will be hard but there is at least one every day. I thought that was really a neat idea.

Faye, one thing I received is fingerless gloves that my friend made for me. She gave me the pattern so if you'd like to have it, let me know. They are very easy, use normal yard and bigger needles than socks. She says she knits them when her husband is driving because she doesn't have to follow the pattern anymore. I've been wearing them and they are quite warm. Are you sure you don't have bronchitis? Not that the doctor does anything for it anymore, they just tell you to wait it out. My doctor did tell me to get Dilsen cough syrup and it is quite good, but a little expensive.

Jean, did you get to the mall and enjoy children's program at the church? Sounds like a nice way to spend the day.

Maggie, maybe I'll come to your house for New Year's Eve. I'll probably be in bed by 10 with a good book and a few sudko puzzles. New Year's Day I'm going to Glory's house for a day of quilting to start the new year off right.

Goodnight!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #9  

Good morning all! I am finally on the mend I think. I coughed several times last night, but it is very productive now so everything is as it should be. I am sleeping, which of course is good. The headache seems to be gone as is that balloon feeling of a head cold. I still have quite the runny nose, but I have that pretty much all the time because of my allergies and it seems to be more clear than the other now. I guess just in time for the holidays and the relatives and all that.

Maggie: I have had those cookies and don't like them. They are basically meringues and I think they taste like sawdust. When we lived in New Mexico and Texas we would have rolled tacos and spanish rice for Christmas. I loved it! I have no idea what my bil's family is planning for Christmas dinner. She has such a huge family they can't sit together and eat that's for sure. No one knows how to play the old card games anymore like Whist, Canasta, that sort of thing. I really like playing "bid" style card games except for bridge. I thought about taking bridge lessons, but when Jack bought me a book and I started reading I felt overwhelmed with everything you have to know so gave up that idea fast. I do wish they had some sort of card clubs down here as Jack and I would probably join. Bridge is popular down here with the country club set and the international contract bridge association, blah blah blah blah is home based here in Memphis over by the airport.

Jean: Unfortunately, I am running out of tomorrows. Ruth will be here tomorrow night and though her room is pretty much ready for her, I still have quite a bit to do before then. We decided to just put up our artificial tree tonight instead of paying big bucks for a real one this late. I usually put up my tree the weekend after Thanksgiving and take it down the day after Christmas or the weekend closest. When Christmas is over, I want to be done with it and move on into the new year. Hope you had a grand time in Sioux Falls and enjoyed the kids program. I keep waiting for my dil to post a video of Jackson's on facebook.

Susan: Email me the glove pattern as it is something I would like to try new. I am sure hooked on socks I have to say, but part of that is because like your friend, I have this pattern memorized so can whiz through when I feel like it and it is easy to cart around, even take in your purse. I am still working on my friend's sweater and I have my summer one to finish too besides the socks.

I better get a move on gals. I want to get morning chores done, the rest of the cleaning except for the kitchen, which I will do after finishing the kieflies tomorrow. They take at least 2-3 hours to do. At least Ruth's bus doesn't come in until 9:40 at night so I have all day to finish everything up. On the flip side is we have to go downtown to that nasty bus station late at night, ugh!

Have a grand day and weekend! Faye
Old 12-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #10  

Good afternoon, ladies. In the 30s today. That is cold for us and extra cold for December. Rain starts tonight and turns to snow tomorrow with 1 inch accumulation expected. I'm not going out today because the nuts will be in the grocery stores stocking up like we would be snowed in for a month.

I forgot to tell what we do for our Chinese gift exchange. We all bought a gift in the $10 price range. When we arrived at the party, we put numbers into a basket, one for each prize - 1 to 13 for us. After dinner, we each drew a number. Then the person with 1 took whatever package she wanted, opened it so we could all see. Then 2 could take 1s prize or select another wrapped one. Prizes could be stolen 2 times. The last person to select it got to keep it. We all got a nice gift and had a lot of fun.

Faye, I'm glad you are starting to feel better. Try not to overdo. I'll scan the pattern and email it to you.

Hi, Jean and Maggie.

This is the day I'm cleaning out the refrigerator and washing it down with clorox. It's not my favorite job but the housekeeping fairies didn't come this month. :-(
Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #11  

Happy Friday, Flowers! I posted once this morning and "someone" ate it when I hit post. GRRRR! Now I don't remember what I wrote. I did go to the doctor this afternoon because my knee has started to bother me again a little. I saw a different doctor than in June, and he thinks it is arthritis. He offered a cortisone shot and/or pain pills. It isn't bad enough for either one so said I would stick with Tylenol or ibuprofen. He also told me to take regular aspirin a few days before the plane ride.

Maggie -- You are so organized to be working on your holiday menu early. I'm thinking I will try and bake cookies next week and will shop Monday morning before the crowd hits the store. Another grocery store opened their new store on the 16th, doubling the size of their old building. I haven't even driven by, but can just imagine what it must be like. I still can't find things at the remodeled store so it takes more time to go there too. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I think the one I have is the same except there are no chocolate chips in it. I got it from another teacher who was in WW years ago and she got it there.

Susan -- You must be partied out! I'm glad everyone got a nice gift at the exchange; sometimes someone will bring an obvious "clunker." I like the idea of writing down a blessing every day. I'm just so thankful for our good health and that of my family. There are so many in our area suffering from terminal illnesses that it is scary. You would have thought it was a weekend day at the SF mall yesterday! I didn't feel like battling that crowd so we headed for Target which wasn't much better. The weather was nice so we didn't mind the walk in the parking lot. I did get another Christmas gift so it was worth the walk. The program was cute; Ian had a speaking part and spotted us as soon as he was on the risers. Zowie is tall also so we could see her too. We went to the DQ for a treat afterwards and then headed home. It was 10:30 when we pulled into the garage. I just can't stay awake the whole way and poor Bob was fighting sleep the last half hour or so. He even opened a window so I knew he was tired.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you are feeling better! I hope your trip to the bus station goes smoothly and the bus is on time. Does your niece leave at night also? I'm sure you will get all of your chores done in time.

I have a load of laundry going so need to check on it. I went to the grocery store after my doctor appt., w/o a list, and to pick up bread and milk. I wish I could find somebody who would cook our meals in exchange for ironing.

Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all! I have been up since 3 am and didn't go to bed until near 11. I guess I will have to try and sneak in a nap sometime today if I find the time. I am at least feeling a bit more human. I still have some cold left, but I don't feel like I did and have very little congestion, but a very sore nose at this point.

Jean: I imagine my niece left very, very early this morning, but my bil did say that it is an express bus for the most part only stopping twice before hitting Memphis so she probably left an hour ago or so. Glad the program was a success and Dairy Queen is always a good choice. Have you ever had the cortisone shot? Jack has been told that the shot itself and even afterwards is pretty painful. He went to the doctor on Wednesday about his hand and hip and such. She is sending him to a hand specialist as she has no clue what is wrong with his hand and basically told him to take ibuprophen for his hip and not much else. His hand is becoming increasingly worse and seems to give him more and more trouble so we need to find out what is causing the problem. He had some difficulty with getting the tree out of the attic last night.

I sure wish we had somewhere we could just sit the tree and cover it then bring it out and decorate it every year instead of having to dismantle and put it back together when we want to use it. It is really a very beautiful tree, looks pretty real actually and since it is up and decorated just lovely. I can now move on to cookies this morning.

When I get finished posting I am going to go out and start on the cookie base. I have to roll the balls out and they are pretty hard having been in the fridge for 24 hours. You take out a few at a time as you don't want them to get really soft or they don't roll out nicely. So I am going to get them rolled out then when Jack gets up we can have breakfast and I can make the filling, which is basically a merinque with ground nuts folded in so you don't want it made too far ahead and when it is made, you must do all the cookies at once. I have 4 1/2 dozen this year so it won't be too bad I guess.

Susan: No hurry with the pattern, whenever you have the time. I did my fridge right before commissary shopping last time so it is fairly clean. I also cleaned out the pantry again so it is fairly straightened out. Jack just slings stuff so I am forever looking for stuff in there. Hope you didn't get the snow. I know how difficult your area can be with snow. It is sort of like here, every nut in the city is panicking. It is chilly here, but dry, thank heavens.

Well gals, I need to get cracking on those cookies. You all have a great day. Lots to do to finish up today and be ready for Ruthie when she gets here tonight. Faye
Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cloudy day in my corner of the world but at least it's not snowing . . . yet. I am going to finish my last couple of cards today. I finally gave up and typed a 2 page letter to a retired teacher that has moved away. I know I can type faster than I can write! Other than that there is laundry, ironing, dusting, and vacuuming. I also need to check my cookie recipes and make my grocery list for Monday.

"Gma" -- I can almost smell your cookies baking! I've had a request for the cookies w/the chocolate kiss on top. I was up at 3:30 -- long enough to eat a couple crackers and take a Tylenol! I forgot to take any when I went to bed and my knee was sore enough I couldn't get comfortable. I don't know if the doctor moving it around made it more sore or what, but it does feel better this morning. I'm not keen on having a shot of any kind in my knee. Bob's dad used to get cortisone shots in his shoulder; he always said it hurt like he** at the time, but felt so much better afterwards. I hope Jack will get relief from one!

The dryer is buzzing so I need to switch loads. Have a great day!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 12-19-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #14  

Good evening, ladies! It has rained since yesterday and is now down to 32 so I suppose we may see a snow flake or two tonight. We have heavy fog already.

I went to WW this morning and am happy to report I'm down 2.8 this week. I'm happy about that. I've enjoyed my parties and been satisfied with how I've gotten though the parties.

Faye, I love those cookies. Fortunately they haven't been a part of any of my gatherings. I hope you get your niece without problems. She'll be tired for sure.

Jean, try the Tynelol for Arthritis. It helps me more than the regular.

I made a huge pot of vegetable soup today. Right now I'm fixing a sweet potato, ham and sauteed cabbage for my dinner.

Have a good evening!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #15  

Good morning to you ladies!!! I am finally feeling on the mend though I coughed a lot while talking to Ruth last night. She got here right on time and there is a lot more security than there was years ago. They have big hulking, don't mess with me guys too, though the one black guy was really very nice.

Bless her sweet heart. She kept me up until 2:30 this morning talking. My bil and sil have screwed up that poor child so much I could shoot them. Like I said she has twin siblings, a boy and a girl that are 14 and he is daddy's favorite and she is mama's favorite and my poor niece is left out completely. She is a nice girl and a very talented writer though my brother is pushing her to take math and science classes in school which she struggles with. I told her talk to her dad about it and see if them can come to terms. I told her to nicely remind him that it is better to have a daughter make good grades because of stuff she likes than poor grades to make dad happy when she can't do the work.

Jack just got home from running an errand so I need to get breakfast going. Have a great Sunday and I will talk to you later.
Faye