Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Angry AND another thing!!.....hehehe

The nurse for my surgeon is giving me a really hard time. She says that my cold symptoms and nausea are due to my not eating enough protein. ???

I called to ask whether or not my SLIGHTLY low B 12 count could contribute to the nausea! Everything else in the blood work was normal! She very sternly told me that it's even in my file that I don't "comply with the dietary restriction. Not enough protein, abuse of carbohydrates."

HUH????

I'm doing fabulously! I'm 4 lbs from goal...I am losing weight slowly...I eat enough protein...I exercise regularly.

I do eat some carbs WITH my meals after the proteins’ but we are talking about 5 fries or SOME pieces of potato in my steak soup or a 1/2 c of chex with milk...we are NOT talking any kind of "abuse!" I think it's ridiculous and don't want to pay for another doctor visit!

I know of people that 2 years out have gained 50% of the weight they lost or never really took the after care of GBP seriously and didn't lose any. I know of people that have vitamin deficiencies and anemia, that don't exercise or take their vitamins anymore because of the cost, etc.

I'm doing just fine!! I might not be the poster child for Gastric Bypass, but I'm not throwing it all away on ice cream and cookies either!

There, I think I'm done now. I think....

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-14-2009 at 10:02 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #2  

Awesome that you are following post bypass instructions. I know soooo many people who dont!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

I've never heard of anyone 'abusing carbs' in a medical record!!! my goodness!!!

just to get some - umm - shall we call it REVENGE? - have you tracked your protein intake to prove to nursie that you're actually on the straight and narrow???

a cold is a cold is a cold. they happen. NOW, if you get another one a couple of weeks AFTER you get over this one, maybe there'd be something to think about.

abusing carbs??????? good grief.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #4  

Jiff, I think it's in my records because at one point I told them my day's intake and they were upset that I didn't follow their plan to the letter. I eat 90-120 grams of protein and 60-80 grams of carbs a day instead of 60-90 and 45. Not necessarily good but NOT abuse. I think they might have a bit of a complex about it.

I work out every day, I haven't gained, actually I'm still losing in a slow, sane manner and I eat well. It's NOTHING compared to the "abuse" of food, fat AND carbs...that I was doing before surgery (6,000 cals in a day was not uncommon on a "gaining" binge.

I have tracked my protein, carbs and calories and I printed it off to take to them tomorrow. I am very good about things. I have eaten cookies and I have had ice cream but always in reasonable, non-dumping causing amounts (I still dump hard if I over do it!) and though my diet is not perfect, I think the weight loss, numbers and the bloodwork should speak for itself!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-15-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Don't let them brain wash you Angie... your right, your doing fantastic and who knows your body better then you??? KEEP ON KEEPIN ON !!!!

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

angie - sounds to me as if you're right on track. after all, how many of their patients are AT THEIR GOAL - like you are??? <i consider 4 pounds to be water weight!!!!>

at what point do you start NOT seeing the surgeon and seeing your primary for followup? for most of us, i think we just pop into the surgeon for an annual [although some of us <ahem!!!> haven't been doing that and feel guilty about it]. and the rest of our STUFF [the lab work, whatever] is handled by the PCP.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #7  

I just called them with a question about the nausea and it turned into "you should be assessed by the PA for hernia or some other disaster. Geez, I will call my PCP after this! He will tell me, "Ahhhhh, you're doin' fine" and not turn into the Crabby Carb Monitor!

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-15-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #8  

I went to see the PA and she was nice....patronizing...but at least nice. She was defensive of her nurse, of course, but she said I was doing fine. "Though you know, if you buckle down you can get the last bit of weight off you know."

Buckle down....well maybe. I don't know if 15-25 grams of carbs would make THAT much of a difference. Perhaps, but I'm doing well and think they need to not be such crabs about it. Maybe that's why most of their patients have problems; they call and get harassed so they don't call when it's serious!

I don't know.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-16-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

oy they sound obsessive to me.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

For Your Last 4 Pounds???? What Are They Smoking??????/
Old 12-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

How low was your B12?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

HEY ANGE: Follow what they tell you but...........you know yourself and your body. I was so anti carb that I didn't have a good quality of foods. You are a few months out and at 16 mos. I was told that I could decrease my protein to 50-60 grams a day. I still eat my protein first, a few bites of a slow carb and if any room left in my 1 c. limit then I might take a bite of fast carb. I have to be honest that I don't make too many fast carbs because I just don't have the room for it and don't want to have the room and DH doesn't need them. I up-chuked a small whole grain flat bread and a piece of ham yesterday. Where in the heck did that come from????? The flat bread had 70 cal. 13 grams of carbs, 2 sugars, and 3 prot. I know that the WLS doctors are hyper about carbs, but just use your head. My PC is always worried about me getting too thin!!! If your labs are good than keep up with what you are doing. You did just have major surgery and you need protein to heal......
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote