Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 12:33 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down BFL/BB #82 - Christmas week 23 Dec 02!!

So...only 2 days til the Big Day!

LEDOM just wanted to congratulate you AGAIN on those spectacular numbers!!! I bet it's gonna be a Very Merry Christmas for you this year...and wait til next summer - swimsuit season...shorts and tank top season...hmmm...

Patt - Sushi is one of my favorites as well - especially on Free Day. Right now it's Dungeness Crab season in these parts - it is CHEAP at $3.99 a pound at Safeway. If you've never had San Francisco Crab Cioppino...it is so yummy...crab, shrimp, mussels, clams and whitefish in a tasty tomato broth...messy though Hmm...maybe I'll make that next Sunday!

And for oatmeal and eggwhites, do try Pamcakes if you haven't already done so - that's my favorite way of eating them and the best thing is you can make several in advance - they keep very well in the fridge (I layer them between baking parchment) and are easy and satisfying. I love them!

Well my legs are still shaking - late yesterday afternoon I had a 90 minute riding lesson - mostly posting the trot and 2-pointing which is a real worker...then this morning was LEG DAY. ow ow ow!!

Just got back from taking Sparky for his annual exam. My sister turned me on to a different vet and I really liked him. Sparky was NOT A HAPPY CAT at all - had his ears and teeth cleaned, and doesn't like to leave the house. I have a massage this afternoon and I'm looking forward to that...

Let's hear from y'all!
Old 12-23-2002, 01:17 PM   #2  

Default MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Hey Ladies - A ghost from Christmas Past popping in to wish you all a Merry Christmas! Some of the old timers (posters) might remember me - MrsJim, Mel, Susanje, Carps? Even though I haven't been around - I think of you gals often and wonder how you're doing. Hoping to be back in the New Year along with all the rest of the New Resolutioners. Wishing you peace and self acceptance at this time of year - God knows I've been trying to capture it. Hope all is well.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:47 PM   #3  
Mel

Default Monday

Ah, I'll be glad when the "holidays" are aover! My fridge is stuffed with illegal yummy food (cheeses, prime rib, turkey stuffing makings, wine) and I've got to cook it all with out tasting! I'm taking Christmas Eve and Christmas Dinner as free meals, tho I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds for the last 5 weeks doing that sort of thing.

Ran my 13.2 miles yesterday and am a little sore, and one twingey knee, but generally feel good and SO relieved to know I can do it. Had a great chest and tri workout this morning; I usually hate doing tri's but did some diferent stuff today and it was more bearable.

Ledom- I really liked your answer on L&S to the person who wanted advice on losing weight. Very thoughtful and well written.

Karen- Have things dried out a bit out there? Glad you got your riding in. Are you off this week?

Patt- I love sushi too. It's one of my favorite free meal treats, or even a non-free meal if I eat mostly the sashimi instead of the sushi.

THUNDER!!!!! Glad to hear from you. Come on back. It'll do you good.

mel

Last edited by meliris; 12-23-2002 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:12 PM   #4  

Hey to all of you lovely ladies

It's so good to see that you're all still here. Don't worry, I haven't fallen off the wagon, just been incredibly busy doing this and that and getting ready for Christmas.

Ledom--Congratulations!!!! Those are excellent, excellent results. I'm with Karen--what a great Christmas present to yourself! So, just as an afterthought, what was it about this program, this time trying to lose weight that "clicked" for you?

Karen--Oh, whenever you talk about sushi and seafood in the bay area, it makes me miss it all over again! I read that you and (JC?) are doing your own thing with Trainers Edge software? What do you think of it? I currently do my clients' meal plans the old fashioned way on Excel, and the prospect of paying for TE and then learning how to use it is a little daunting. Although, it sure seems like a nice thing to have...

Mel--Congrats on training for the Disney 1/2 marathon! I have always had a running race in the back of my mind for a lifetime goal thing, and I have come a LONG way in terms of running since I started BFL, but I just don't know that deep down I'm a runner. I do hope that the weather's better than the frigid temps on this side of PA!

I spent the month of November doing a holistic workout from the depths of Jeremy Likness's downloadable files off of L&S. Basically a high volume lifting routine that knocked me for a loop or two. I added a little definition here and there, which made me happy. I've spent the last month scaling back just a tad and getting ready for eight weeks of very clean bulking come January 6.

Are there any new plans for a new challenge in these parts???
Old 12-23-2002, 06:23 PM   #5  

Ooh, Karen, I forgot to say that I finally recieved a used copy of Michael Fumento's "The Fat of the Land" book. It's really eye-opening and great to read. I find it so ironic that out of all the crap diet books out there that sell a million copies, one of the few that actually speak the truth is OUT OF PRINT. How sad!

Also have read through the Draper books. Excellent and very inspiring!

Oh, and my pet rats are doing really well and are very cute, just in case anyone was wondering
Old 12-23-2002, 07:00 PM   #6  

Unhappy still sick....

It is supposed to be week 10 for me....and i am still eating really well...and things are good...i am just still sick!!! between coughing fits and feeling lethargic (sp?) i am not feeling up to the gym...i have been going every other day for about a week and a half...it really stinks...i feel like i am failing...and not doing my best...this has been the worst week and a half of my dieting life...i am going to the doctor tomorrow b/c i am just not getting better and i have a stupid rash everywhere....

well that's my *****ing for now...hope everyone is doing well..

one_sweetchick
Old 12-23-2002, 07:01 PM   #7  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Hey ladies,

Thanks so much for your comments and congrats. From the bottom of my heart thank you.

Moxiegirl, great question. You know, I think a big part of it is that even though it is an infinite lifestyle. I like the finite aspect of breaking it into a 12 week challenge of 1 week segments. I have to say the concept of free day and free week make it psychologically easier for me. After a day off, I am rareing to get back to it. Also, looking at the transformation pictures made it a diet that I could believe in. The getting started part was hard, but I found as I got further into it I kept getting more and more excited. Having faith that this diet will work for me has been a large part of my success up to this point. Also, I like having muscles!

Mel, glad you thought I did ok in my L&S post. It is true, you do want to share this diet and that is a part of making it successful as well.

I want to reread the book this week while I am having my break so that I can be refreshed in my mind about the facts of the diet. I only read it through once and I know there will be hidden treasures in there on a rereading.

Well, the Christmas frenzy finally got hold of me today. Yes, Karen I too want to be on the other side of Christmas. I am also really anxious to be back on the plan. It makes me nervous not to have the structure.

Here's is wishing you jolly thoughts and the ability to keep it sane over the next few days!
Old 12-24-2002, 10:41 AM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Well we FINALLY did it!!!

Got another kitty that is

She is such a little lover...about 2 years old and was just pregnant (the pregancy was terminated and she was spayed). She is a purrmeister for sure!! Unfortunately Sparky is NOT very happy right now in the least. He's been an only cat his whole life and is not accustomed to sharing...however, sister told us that he gets very lonely when we're out of town, which is the reason we decided to adopt another cat. Her name is Lilly but we will probably give her another name pretty soon...she slept in the bathroom last night very happily. AACK! We'll see what happens. She is NOT going back to the humane society though.

Just got back from my workout about 1/2 hour ago...it was so nice - very empty in the gym I guess I'd better enjoy it while it lasts, because as y'all know next week the New Year's Resolution folks start up and it's going to be a madhouse at the gym til Valentines Day...

Chick - just take care of yourself - don't work out if you aren't feeling up to it - just keep eating clean and get thee to a doctor! (I've learnt the hard way in the past - stubbornly working out whilst I was sick and ended up with a two-week case of laryngitis as a result).

Mox - I LOVE that book! I've actually had some email conversations with Mike Fumento - he had a tough time finding a publisher since they make so much more money off those fad diet books. I hope that he updates it and gets it republished - in the meantime, he has some great articles on his website www.fumento.com - gotta check out some of that hate mail - it's hilarious!!

I haven't received the Trainers Edge Software as yet - actually it's probably in my box at work (I'll have to remind Jim to pick it up today - I'm afraid if I go to work, I'll end up working!!!) as Mitch sent it Fed Ex. Hey! Give Mitch at TE a jingle - he'll most likely send you a demo version to try out. He is INCREDIBLY helpful. And of course don't forget that you can get a 25% discount if you mention L&S...Mel already has been using it - hopefully she can enlighten you on how well it works.

Mel - we're having a 'dry spell' thank goodness!!! I'm off 'til Friday - I might take a 1/2 day off that day though depending on how our kitties are faring! Keep us posted on the marathon!!! Fortunately I don't have any 'goodies' in my fridge, unless you count the cookies I got from one of my gym buddies this morning (they're going to work with Jim today, BTW). I DO have about 6 bottles of Pellegrino water - it was on sale this week at Safeway and I do love it - Jim and I are hooked on sparkling water since we went to NYC. We have Pellegrino, Perrier, Schwepps Seltzer, and Calistoga (along with still water). I still need to find out what I have to bring to Jens' tomorrow for Christmas dinner - she's getting a Honeybaked Ham YUMMMERS!!

Thunder - oooooooooooooooooohhhhh yes I remember YOUUUUUU Now don't be a stranger! I'm not big on New Years Resolutions but if that's what it takes to get that 'click' then go for it!! We're all right here behind you!

Well - time for a Pamcake and get some housework done around here - hope EVERYONE has a Merry Christmas (although I'm pretty sure I'll be around here tomorrow morning).
Old 12-25-2002, 02:25 PM   #9  
Mel

Default Merry Christmas

The chaos is over- actually it's not that bad anymore now that my kids are older, we actually slept til 8 and had a leisurely breakfast (cottage cheese and cherries for me), opened presents, then I went to the gym for LEG DAY! It wasn't as empty as I thought it would be- quite a few of the regulars, all very friendly, and a few rarely seen faces. Probably trying to escape from their in-laws, according to Robert.
We are having a patented Pennsylvania storm: slush, snow, rain and sleet alternating, with promise of a hard freeze by evening. So my brother and his wife and child decided not to come. Will have a quiet dinner with way too much food with just the four of us. Doesn't seem like a real holiday unless there are others to share it, but the roads are awful and I totally understand their decision.
Eating has been a disaster since last night- I always do a big rib roast for Christmas eve, plus it was the 25th anniversary of when Jon and I met, so we had the obligatory bottle of champage and some chocolate. Today is just free day for me and I know I'll be paying for it for a week, but I need a break from eating so clean. I loved working out today tho! It felt so good to know that it was Christmas, it was leg day, so I was doing it!

Karen- Hope your new fur baby settles in well and Sparky gets over it. We've been discussing getting another cat, but keep putting it off. I figure the shelters should be quite full in about 2 weeks when all the Christmas present pets look like bad ideas, and we'll have a lot of choices. Our last cat was a shelter baby, tho purebred Burmese. I would love another Burmese, but breeders want mega bucks for them. Maybe we'll get real lucky again. She was the best cat we've ever owned, and from what I've read, her personality was standard for the breed. Enjoy your new friend.

I signed up for the ISSA certification course! Will probably also try to become ACE certified later, but their testing dates in Phila. weren't until June! I'm in the process of re-learning all the anatomy I learned 25 years ago and promptly forgot. Funny thing is that I remember all the bones, whih I don't need to know, but none of the muscles!

Kitchen beckons- what more crappy foods can I eat ?
mel
Old 12-25-2002, 06:11 PM   #10  

Merry Christmas everyone!

Mel--I know what you're talking about with this storm! Last night, there wasn't a flake in the air, and today, I woke up to eight inches of the white stuff! Didn't think we could possibly make out without a white Christmas though! Congrats on signing up for the ISSA course. I am certified through them, so if you need anything, let me know. They are incredibly wonderful and very helpful to deal with! I wish my gym was open today...sure would have been nice to jump on the treadmill for a nice run this morning.

Karen--have fun with your new kitty! I'm sure Sparky still knows that he's the favorite!! And thanks for the info on TE...I'll definitely have to get in touch with him this week or next. It seemed pretty cool when Pam was using it, and even if I got it just for myself. Hmmm, things to think about. And I checked out the hate mail on Michael Fumento's site...hilarious!!!

Anyway, back to the bad food I go Have a great night everyone!
Maggie
Old 12-26-2002, 04:19 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default It's 26th December and all I can say is...

Thank the good Lord it's finally over!!! WHEW!!!

It was pretty low key for us actually. FREEZING here in the Bay Area. We've been expecting another storm for the last couple days but it's just been COLD with dark clouds everywhere. Probably been too cold to rain!

Of course most of the day was spent with our two kitties. Still not friendly yet - but at least they don't hiss at each other quite as much as before. We renamed the new kitty Meg (Megan) - just didn't care for Lily personally. She just has a Meg look! She's so sweet, I'm SURE that Sparky will eventually warm up to her. Right now they're taking a long catnap - Meg on our bed, Sparky in his comforter on the overstuffed chair (he likes to burrow in it and have a little warm cave). When they snuggle up together, THEN I know we'll have made progress!

Since the gym was closed we just kicked back and watched TV. Did anyone notice that TNT showed "A Christmas Story" all day?? It's a terrific Yuletide film but I've just seen it WAY too many times already...I was surprised that they didn't show Holiday Inn or White Christmas. Christmas Day without Bing Crosby?!?

We went to sister's house for the afternoon. Dinner was pretty lowkey as well - but I did really well on present choices this year - I followed my Mom's old rule and got everyone the same thing (sisters and Mom - yoga pants & top from Old Navy; Dad and BIL's - sleep bottoms and fleece shirts also from ON; kids - books) and it worked great! I enjoy picking out books for the kids - I buy books I remember enjoying as a kid and also use the Amazon.com reviews and recommendations to choose. Of course both our nieces have pretty much done Judy Blume (except hopefully 'Forever' - I got in so much trouble reading that book in 8th grade... Jim and I don't exchange Christmas presents - we buy something special for the house instead. This year it was a Surround Sound system which to tell you the truth I don't use all that much - not that I don't enjoy it, but I don't usually want to deal with all those knobs and adjustments!!! Of course Jim being a musician actually enjoys doing all that stuff

Mel - I am so jealous!!! Our 24 Hour Fitness was closed from 5 pm Tuesday and just reopened at 6 am today I slept in a bit and didn't work out until 8 this morning and it was pretty empty - I'll enjoy that while it lasts (until January 2nd). BTW, check out the Exercise forum here at 3FC - someone has started a thread on the Disney marathon! Right now it's so dark out, when I get under the bright lights in the gym I perk up immediately - an added bonus I guess

Moxie - I just completed the installation this morning. Not that it took that long in total, I just didn't get around to it until now It was a snap - seems to be running fine. I'll keep ya posted on how it works

My sister made a plate of leftovers and Jim took it to work for his lunch so we're A-ok here!!
Old 12-26-2002, 06:51 PM   #12  
Mel

Default Disney Marathon Thread

haha- that was funny.
Karen- I started my life here at 3FC on the Sugarbusters board and have remained there on and off. I'm running the 1/2 marathon with Debelli (Deb) who started that thread. She is the moderator on the suagrbusters board and is a wonderful person who I met last spring on a trip to Florida. She also has lost over 100 pounds and is a real crusader. But I can't get her to pick up weights. Which I consider a real failure because (in case you're lurking, deb) it would change her life!

mel
Old 12-26-2002, 07:24 PM   #13  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Just a howdy...

and a goodbye too, as I get ready to leave for Mobile in the morning. I'll be back on the evening of the 30th and will be starting challenge 2 the 31st. That'll be a 10 day break, just can't wait any longer than that to get started!

Ah, this has probably not been one of the better rest/free weeks on record. I have partaken of the christmas bounty and just want to be on the other side. Today I have been back on my BFL meal plan and feel so much better. Don't know what travel will bring my way in terms of food, but I am hoping to redeem myself in some small way before my challenge 2 weigh-in.

Ya'll take care. The kitty news sounds all good. D & I will also be looking for another kitten (siamese/male) when we get back. Meg is a cute name. Happy training Mel.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:30 PM   #14  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Happy Holidays everyone! I have been so bad lately. Way off program, but have not given up though. I am getting back on track tomorrow. Hubby bought me a York gym for Xmas, a set of weights and he got me an old weight bench before Xmas, so now I have no excuse if for some reason I can not make it to the gym. My eating has been terrible and I have not been to the gym in almost a week. I am feeling very guilty, but am also forgiving myself and jumping right back in tomorrow.
Hope everyone else is doing well. I have not gained back too, too much, 4 lbs, enough but not too bad. Body is stiff though, need to work it out.
Will check in tomorrow with report on how my day goes. Hugs to all
Virginia
Old 12-27-2002, 01:09 PM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Mel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well now I finally have an excuse for using this ==>

Ledom - have a great time - BTW YOUR free week can't possibly be as bad as MY first free week...back in July 2001 - Jim and I went to Yosemite for four nights and ate terribly - I think we went through a pint of Ben & Jerry's every single night, not to mention all the other crap we ate (of course, we did ride our bikes, hiked, went trail riding and rafting but still...)

Virginia - sounds like you really cleaned up for Christmas Today one of the regular guys at my gym asked me what jewelry Jim got me for Christmas... Jim knows me too well - I am most definitely NOT a jewelry type of gal. I can think of a kajillion other things I'd rather have than that!

Well on the kitty front, Meg and Sparky at least can be in the same room together - Meg is being the 'mean one' right now even though she's about 1/2 the size as big Sparky. She spits at him and he just turns away now. Yesterday she started playing with his toys (when we first adopted the Sparkster, I was at Pet Club every week buying him new stuff which he usually could care less about) and he watched her from his kitty condo perch, after she left to take a nap in the bedroom, he started getting interested in the toys and batting them around! Hopefully they'll become a bit friendlier over the next few weeks before we split for Miami...
Closed Thread