Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-12-2009, 02:38 AM   #1  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

Default Considering surgery

Hiya folks,

I'm 29 years old and 306 lbs, I'm 5'3" and I also have gallbladder problems, depression/anxiety, serious back issues, and chronic fatique and heavy snoring (not quite apnea yet). I have, thankfully, low BP and no diabetes or other issues that I'm aware of. But it runs in my family, which includes many morbidly obese relatives.

My big 30 year old birthday is next week, and I thought to myself.. it's time. I tried Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc, been dieting since I was 14. It's time to do something serious. My gallbladder issues are quite severe and I hope it will help too.

Now, my Insurance will cover my surgery if I am approved by my provider and classified as morbidly obese, which I am at BMI 54.1. I was originally considering this option when I weighed 270 about 3 years ago, and I was approved, but I freaked out at the 1% chance of death and said I'd try WW again. So I expect I will be approved for surgery again now that I've explored that option thoroughly and ended up weighing more. =/

Anyway, I have a lot of research to do. I don't know the difference really between all the types of WLS, but my consultation will be in January or February. There's quite a line for the surgery here so I have no idea how long it will take to get me in there. I understand there is some sort of pre-op diet that lasts a while, so I have to learn about that too.

I don't know how much I will post here, I'm kinda nervous about the whole situation. 1% is still really scary, but.... I can't live like this anymore, so, I'm coming to terms with that.

Anyway, love to meet you all, and thanks for having such a nice forum here.
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I haven't had surgery, but I wanted to say welcome to 3FC! You will find lots of great support here from people who've had and not had surgery. Since you've got some time before your consultation, why not spend it just watching your calorie intake, eating healthy foods, and keeping it at a reasonable level? It's a skill you'll need regardless of what you decide to do and trust me, a few months of taking good care of yourself can make a world of difference in how you feel physically and mentally.

Good luck and hope you post often so everyone can get to know you better!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

Hi 30! glad to see you! The kind of surgery often depends on what's available in your area. Gastric bypass is considered the gold standard, and it's available just about everywhere. Adjustable gastric banding is also available just about everywhere, but not all insurance policies cover it for some reason.

there's also vertical sleeve gastroplexy, which most surgeons do, and duodenal switch, which has very good results, but not as readily available. If you decide to go the duodenal switch route, be sure that you can get good aftercare in your area.

There are a few other choices that are in clinical trials. We even have two ladies around here who are having gastric balloons! One is in Canada, and the other in the UK [her surgery will be in Prague]. I don't think this option is widely available in the US just yet.

glad you joined us! we're looking forward to getting to know you.

Have you gone to a local information meeting? does your local hospital offer support groups? if they do, it's a good idea to visit them [yes, they'll let you in - don't worry!]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck. I have not had surgery but recommend that you get all the facts before making a decision.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

just to give you the newest data - this latest report states that mortality has dropped to 0.3%. But remember, what counts is YOUR surgeon's data.

http://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/Ou...rSurgStudy.pdf
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome and Good Luck !!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Jiffy already said both things I was going to say - but I'm gonna repeat them anyway!

First, that 1% statistic is a bit outdated, and it's really irrelevant, anyway. What you need to focus on more is your chosen SURGEON'S mortality rate. That 1% includes not only the great, highly-skilled and experienced surgeons, but also the, umm not-so-great

Second, make sure you thoroughly research ALL your options for WLS. If you are going to a surgeon that does not perform all the different procedures (as most do not perform the DS and many do not perform the VSG), it is quite unlikely you will get accurate information about all the procedures from them. Do your own independent research to find the surgery YOU want since you are the only person in this world who knows yourself the best!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #8  
So tired

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome and all the helpful info & links! I really do have a lot to research. I have no idea what a balloon or a pouch is, I have a lot to learn. =)

I don't know what's available yet, I think that will be covered in January when I meet the doctor & get more info. They are supposed to send me a packet this week too. Supposedly the University of Iowa Hospital is pretty good with this surgery, I'm not sure what my surgeon's mortality rate is, but I will definitely look into it!

You're right though, I know my info is definitely outdated. My aunt had the surgery in Florida in, I think, 2001... and they told her 1% plus severe complications are common, I know that has improved though.

I'm still on basically a low fat/low cal diet in the meantime, though I have had issues with nausea due to gall bladder, so it's been really hard to find my trigger foods... so far, there is a slight pattern but it's not very clear. It's really frustrating, but the good news is that the new nausea meds do seem to help. =)

Well, I really do appreciate the kind welcome. You guys seem very nice, and I'm glad I stumbled across this forum. I hope to talk to you all again - I will likely be asking rather basic questions here & there, and hopefully by the time I have surgery (if that is what I decide), you guys will know me better too. =)
Old 12-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #9  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Welcome aboard, you will find a lot of helpful information on this site. The ladies are awesome. I would suggest visiting sites like bariatric edge and obesity help to learn more about the procedures available to you. Also, what helped me decide was sitting and observing different surgeons support groups because it helped me hear the true after story about surgery and the docs. After meetings I would visit with the patients and ask questions. You can search for surgeons that have been recognized by the Center for Bariatric Excellence.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #11  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I'm glad you found this forum and I'm glad I did too!! It's been a great source of info and support!

The key to any of the WLS (I had the GPB in Feb. 2008) is knowledge! research, research, research!

Good luck honey!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-15-2009 at 11:29 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #12  
So tired

Oh my gosh Leenie that's so sweet, thank you! =)

And thank you both Angela and Worthylady, You guys seem like a great bunch, I'm glad I found this forum. I'm still researching, just got my packet from the hospital today, so trying to find out more about the surgeries that they offer.

Last edited by 30and300; 12-20-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30and300 View Post
Oh my gosh Leenie that's so sweet, thank you! =)

And thank you both Angela and Worthylady, You guys seem like a great bunch, I'm glad I found this forum. I'm still researching, just got my packet from the hospital today, so trying to find out more about the surgeries that they offer.
Don't limit yourself to just what one hospital offers - changing facilities, changing surgeons, or even traveling for surgery are not typically difficult. Make sure you get what YOU want, not what someone else has limited your options to.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #14  
So tired

That's a good point Jill. =) Hmm, I probably should figure out which surgery I want first... I have some good options in hospital choices due to my insurance, but I have a time limit since my insurance ends when I graduate from school (~August). I'll be in the DC area in summer, so I should probably check out the hospitals here while I'm visiting for the holidays, see if I can figure out what they offer.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 AM   #15  
So tired

One more thing - does anyone have any links with information for these procedures? I've been bouncing from site to site, read all the stickies in this forum, etc, but still have tons of questions.