Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 400/400/180

Height: 5'5"

Wink Cream of Wheat Dessert

Okay all. It is cold and rainy and I needed something warm, comforting, heavy, and sweet! Not exactly things you get on a diet, right?

Anyway, one of my favorite things in the world is Cream of Wheat. It is super filling, healthy, and easy to make. I decided to see if I could make a dessert out of it (i'm eating it as I write and wow, it does the trick for me!)

Here is the recipe...

Ingredients

6 tbsp Cream of Wheat
4 tbsp White Chocolate Chips
2 tbsp instant sugar free vanilla pudding mix
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp Ginger Powder
water - to reach desired consistency (up to you how much you add)

I dump all dry ingredients into a bowl and gently stir with a whisk to combine. Then I pour in vanilla extract followed by boiling water... yes boiling! and mix vigorously with whisk until all white chocolate pieces are melted and mixture is smooth. Be careful with this because the Cream of Wheat needs VIGOROUS stirring to get a smooth texture. I made it fairly thick (added about 3/4 cup of water) but still pourable... I poured into four ramekins. Then I take the ramekins and pop into the microwave for 30 seconds on high (each/separately). Then I let cool for several minutes until it is eating temp and then I dig in!

Each serving is about 110 calories. It is dense, sweet, and delicious.

I am going to put the other servings into refrigerater. Not sure if it is good cold, or if it can be reheated... but I'll update tomorrow and let you all know!
Bridezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #2  

This sounds delicious......Did you know they make a whole grain cream of wheat?? I'll be making this today!!!

Thanks!
justbeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure if I ever had cream of wheat but amaranth seems that it is like it. I've been playing around with grains and it is a nice, creamy grain and it is full of protein. If you haven't tried it, I'd recommend it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

This sounds interesting! How many servings did you get from this recipe?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 400/400/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Update on Cream of Wheat dessert

I got 4 servings that were about half a cup each. If you make the mixture thinner you will obviously get more servings. I recommend putting them in individual ramekins or bowls.

It is not good cold. That I found out. But you can reheat it and it is very good.

Let me know if you make it and if you like it!

Bridezilla
Bridezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #6  

Sounds delicious, I like the idea of putting chocolate chips in it!

I tried The Cream of Wheat Pudding from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook last week. It was with currants & raisins and came out incredible! It was the first time I tried a dessert with cream of wheat and it will definitely now become my go to in a pinch because it doesn't take a lot to make it!
healthygal is offline   Reply With Quote