Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default You're not the only one: Smelly Belly Button

I am posting this because I know I am not the only one with this issue and I am tired of being ashamed of it.

I have a SMELLY belly button.

Every other week my belly button oozes disgusting fluid that stinks. I wash out my belly button all the time, dry it carefully and yet I still have this problem. I've been reading it online and I suspect it's a yeast infection. Tea tree oil for daily maintenance and anti-fungal cream for "breakouts" seems like the good way to go.

Also, if anyone gets a rash under your breasts (when you exercise or sweat) that's also a yeast infection and I found anti-fungal FOOT spray works great for that.

I hope that this helps someone out because I wish I would have known that this isn't all that weird!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:39 AM   #2  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Yep. I gets the smelly button too! I do a vinegar rinse, water rinse, THEN I use grapefruit seed extract! It's a powerful antimicrobial and works like a hot darn!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/195/160

Height: 5'9"

Oh my goodness! Now I'm not usually the one to talk about things like this, but I have only recently had rashes under my boobs and I was thoroughly confused about what it was from! Wow, thanks
KathyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #4  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I thought mine was because I took out my navel ring ages ago when I started to get fat and my fatness causes the oozing and smelliness now and again.

I use a really old fashioned salve that I got from the chemists when it acts up and it seems to do the trick.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh my! I didn't know that could happen. I'm really glad you posted this just in case it ever does because I think that would freak me out if I hadn't ever heard of it before. I think women should be more open about things like this!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I think that everyone has a smelly belly button...I mean, it's practially an enclosed space. I remember talking about this in a group of (really good, close) friends...3 other women, all with smelly belly buttons, none of them overweight (so it's not a "fat person" thing--finally!).
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

My belly button is extremely sensitive. My hubby used to poke at it or even try to carress it--finally he stopped when I plain told him it made me very uncomfortable.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5ft 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
My belly button is extremely sensitive. My hubby used to poke at it or even try to carress it--finally he stopped when I plain told him it made me very uncomfortable.
its not just me! mine is very sensitive too, it actually hurts a little when my husband goes at it, even by accident.

and as for the smelly belly button, i thought that was just me too! love this post!
Bonnie+J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #9  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

For those of you that have a belly that hangs down...I have had a yeast infection there before. I didn't even realize it...but I had my annual check up and showed my Doc. She gave me some yeast infection powder...well it was a prescription. Now during the hot season I use regular powder and put it under my belly and boobies...helps a lot.

Funny thing is one of my co-workers who moved here (to the mid west) from LasVegas never really experienced HUMIDITY. Well her first summer I told her about powder under the boobies. She is a little thing too. So lots of people experience sweat in not so pleasant places Oh yeah, she was excited when I told her about the powder idea...she hadn't ever thought about it. LOL
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

I am a powder fiend! Bellybutton, under boobs, and even on my inner thigh helped chafing drastically!
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I have been known to put a swipe of deodorant under my breasts. I hate that wet/sticky feeling.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was getting a severe, awful looking rash, that my dermatologist concluded was probably sebhorreic dermatitis. She said it was caused by the same yeast that causes dandruff (I was getting it places other than my scalp - worst on my nose and forehead).

She suggested that I use a zync pyrithione shampoo (like some formulations of Head & Shoulders) as my face and body wash. She also gave me a prescription steroid cream for flares.

Now, it's the only soap I use. Zinc kills viruses and bacteria, so I also use zinc oxide cream and stick. The stick is clear, so I can use on my face. The zinc oxide cream I use is the Johnson's 3in1 (it's a diaper rash cream, I learned that the zinc oxide creams in the first aid, skin care and sunblock sections are the same formulas as diaper rash creams, only put in different boxes).

I use the Johnson's because it's the only one I've found that feels like a lotion, and not Crisco.

Since using the Head & Shoulders (usually Walmart's generic, because it's half the price), I have had almost no skin problems of any kind. I rarely even get a pimple anymore. Not only does it control the seb derm, but also my rosacea, sweaty-boob-rash, stinky bellybutton, thigh rub, under-belly rash, burning-itchy feet (they looked fine but I'm guessing I had a mild athlete's foot), scaley elbows and knees (if you've seen the movie, My Big, Fat Greek Wedding - it's my Windex)...

I use the shampoo as my daily soap, add about once a week, use the zinc cream to the problem areas. I almost never have to use the prescription steroid cream unless I've forgotten to use the zinc cream in a while.

My only complaint is that I loved scented bath products, and hate to be stuck with only a few scents (Walmart's brand has only one, but Head & Shoulders comes in a few). But even when I've tried to alternate the zinc shampoo with a regular product, I notice the difference almost immediately.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Clean the areas of irritation and dry them thoroughly. Then apply Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel (made by Monistat--find it in the feminine products aisle).

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #14  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
She suggested that I use a zync pyrithione shampoo (like some formulations of Head & Shoulders) as my face and body wash. She also gave me a prescription steroid cream for flares.
Kaplods, Do you find the head and shoulders dries your skin? I suffer from really dry skin all seasons of the year, not just winter. I wonder if it will affect me negatively if I use the head and shoulders as a body wash?

Also, where do you buy the clear zinc stick that you use on your face?
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I would't say it hurts to *touch* my belly button, but it definitely hurts to poke it - like when cleaning it. It actually causes pain, um, elsewhere, which is weird.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote