South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default 3 questions about beans

I have 3 questions about beans.

1. Do you count then as a protein or a vegetable? I ask because the SB template is to have 3 oz of protein at each meal and 2 cups veg. In the first SB book, beans are ln the Vegetables list. In SB Supercharged, they're their own category. So how do you view them?

2. I can't find the posts now, of course, but when I first found this forum I read many old posts and I'm sure I found a few that said you MUST eat beans daily -- 1/3, 1/2 cup. But I cannot find that in either the first or the Supercharged book. I find "start witih a 1/3 to 1/2 cup serving." That's it.

3. Does anyone have a 3 (or more) bean salad without sugar or sugar substitute? I guess I could just mix beans, onions and a vinaigrette and call it bean salad, but some of you are actual cooks....

Thanks in advance!
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hi Xan-

I'm sure you will get plenty of input. Here's my take FWIW

1. I don't count beans as anything. I definitely wouldn't count them as a vegetable but since I don't really count my protein I can't answer that. In a general sense they are often part or all of my protein as a vegetarian. I do have beans and an egg in the morning though.

2. I know a lot of us advocate eating beans daily. I credit eating beans with much of my success. They are a really great source of nutrients and the all important fiber. They will keep you regular and help you stay full. I have eaten them pretty much every day since starting SBD and have been known to eat them at all three meals Luckily I have great digestion after years of being vegetarian so no unpleasant side effects from that

3. You can absolutely call any mixture you make and like a bean salad! I prefer my bean salad without sweetener so might not be the best person to ask. I make mine with wine vinegar (my Mom's Italian vinegar if I have any), EVOO, lots of oregano and some garlic. I experimented with a Mexican version this summer using lime juice and cumin. There are recipes in the recipe section for a wide vareity of bean salads. They are popular around here
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

1. What Cyndi said. (First two sentences, not that stuff about being a vegetarian!)
2. I love beans and they really fill me up. They help a lot if you are in Phase I and having SB "flu" symptoms. I don't eat them EVERY day, but most days I have some.
3. If you are used to Southern Three Bean Salad (as I was), you may want to use artificial sweetener in them. I have, but don't mind the non-sweetness, so I don't bother anymore. 3 Bean Salad is one of my favorite things to mix up on Sunday and have in the fridge for dinner additions, lunch, or snacks. Also, what Cyndi said about variations - you can do a bean salad with any combination of beans, veggies, dressing that you can imagine. They are always good!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #4  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks for this. I have no objection to beans (I like them) but was curious about the way the program viewed them. Thanks for the bean salad ideas. I'm trying to avoid sugar substitutes and all the recipes I found seemed to want a lot of Splenda.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

I count beans as protein.

Here's the recipe for a bean salad I learned from a Lebanese family I used to sit for:

3 cans of beans, rinsed (I usually use garbanzo, cannelini, and kidney)
scallions, diced (a bunch-ish)
tomatoes, diced (3 or 4)
olive oil (drizzled over)
lemon juice (best if fresh, maybe twice as much as the olive oil you use)
salt and pepper

Just mix everything together. This is better the second and third day after you've made it.

Hope you like it!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #6  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

SBD cautions you to watch the carbs in beans, but I think that is a load of hoo haa...especially if you are eating low-carb bread, etc.

Dump the fake bread, eat lots of beans. They are good for your heart! :O
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I don't count beans as anything, just add them where I want and have never had a problem on SB.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #8  

I use a very small amount of splenda in my bean salad.I also add light feta,celery, onion,oil,garlic and vinegar.I use butter beans, black beans, kidney beans, green beans and chickpeas...YUMM!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #9  

I have another question about beans... I didn't know (or remember, rather) that there was a limit to them. I'm sitting here with my 2nd bowl of 15 bean soup. Probably won't finish it though. What's the daily amount?
Fat Melanie Avenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Melanie! Where have you been? it's good to see you. I was worried

I think the limit is mostly about digestion, at least that's what I've always understood. Beans do have a fair amount of calories but I often have a 1/2 cup serving at every meal.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

You can definitely count the beans as protein, especially if, like Cyndi, you're a vegetarian or vegan. But you don't have to count them, as many said.

Beans aren't required, but they are extremely helpful on SBD, especially in Phase one. The fiber they give you keeps you *ahem* "regular" and the good carbs in them helps you avoid the side effects of Phase 1 detox. Plus, they're yummy!

I have a great bean salad recipe--but it's at home. I'll try to post it sometime soon.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #12  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks for all your comments. I was curious becuase in the original SBD book, beans are allowed, but not in many of the menus, while in Supercharaged they're everywhere, sometimes in two meals in a day. That seemed inconsistent to me.

Kara, thanks very much for that recipe -- it's exactly what I was looking for. I hope there will be more
Old 12-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #13  
Visualizing the Goal

No problem. Sorry it's so un-measured. The woman who taught it to me just threw it all together. You'll get the hang of the olive oil/lemon amounts when you make it the first time. You don't want it swimming in juice, but you want enough to give it good flavor. I've never heard of putting sugar in bean salad. Actually, I'd never really had bean salad until I had that one. I think I grew up in the wrong part of the country for bean salad!
This is a really good recipe, though. It's a staple of ours through the summer months.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote