South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #1  
Can I be thin?

Default Discouraged

I need some help and encouragement. I have been on SB for 5 weeks now. The first couple weeks I lost weight rather quickly. Now this week the scale is not moving.

I am discouraged and need some suggestions. It just brings me back to the same feelings that nothing works, so I might as well eat whatever.
canibthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #2  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Everyone plateaus, it's your body's method of saying "wait a moment, let me catch up!". Just make sure you're staying on plan (I've heard too much diary stalls some peoples weight loss while on SBD) and measure your inches too!

Someone else probably has some more information, but, just remember, eating on plan might have you standing still right now, but its a LOT better then moving backwards.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #3  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Cathy,

I can't see your ticker, can you give some more information, like how much you have to lose (approx) and how much you lost the other weeks?

If you don't mind my asking, are you having time-of-the-month issues?

Have you had a lot of salt recently?

We're not so far out from Thanksgiving, did anything happen that maybe you're seeing shockwaves from now?

Are you exercising?

If you have a LOT of weight to lose, you may want to think about staying in phase 1 for longer than 2 weeks, which according to the web site is OK. I actually do a modified phase 1.5ish type...no bread, rice, etc....

We're here for you...
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

South Beach is a healthy way of eating that helps you control your cravings so that you're not tempted to eat too much. It's not a magic weight loss plan. It's a sensible, nutritious food plan for life. You will lose weight and you will be healthier if you stay on plan. Your scale will move. It's not meant to be a quick fix weight drop plan. You can do this, and you can do it for life. It will make you feel better in the long run and your body will be healthier. You can do it!!!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #5  
Be happy.

Hello!
First of all, congratulations on your weight loss so far.

If I read your post correctly, you lost 13 pounds in a month - that's a lot of weight. Perhaps your body is just "catching up" now. That's what happened to me early on. I was eating on plan and exercising several days a week but the scale didn't move. It was frustrating after the rapid loss I'd been experiencing, but after a week or so I slowly but surely started losing again.

Are you keeping track of your measurements? I'm not as good about that as I could be, but I've heard/read others say that they notice changes in their body when they eat well and exercise even during the times when the scale won't budge.

Good luck!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Yes, congratulations on your weight loss. At 6 weeks, my losses on the scale slowed for a bit and yet my body continued shrinking. I stayed OP and the scale losses picked up again. We are all different, but my scale losses come in waves and don't always correspond with the resulting loss in inches. I am excited to be under 200 and the last 4 pounds came about 4 weeks ago. Right now I'm maintaining weightwise while my body is shifting and reshaping.

The most important thing for me is remembering that this is a healthy WOL. I have never been healthier at any weight. Staying OP for an extended length of time has given me the opportunity to reevaluate many of my feelings about what I am eating; not only for losing weight but how foods affect my internal health. When I started, I made a commitment to stay OP for 6 months before I reevaluated my SB decision. I'm so glad I stuck with it.

I hope you find some soothing words from the chicks here which will help you through the moments when you are questioning the benefits of staying OP.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Cathy, stick with it. You'll be so glad you did. Sometimes the scales don't show us what we want to see. I also measure my waist regularly. Maybe you're losing inches even when the scale doesn't reflect it. Most of us have had times when we didn't lose for a while, and then had a good "whoosh". Hope you have one soon!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #8  
My goal = health

Just wanted to give you encouragement, I know how it feels - I plateau at the same weight every single time for weeks!
Please stick with it, it gets better!
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote