Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

Default My Hands and Feet are soooooooooo cold? WHY?

Hey Girls,

I have been here for a while, and want to ask a question.....
My hands and feet are so cold like all the time. I just lost more than 100 pounds, due to GB surgery. And I feel fantastic, but my hands.......

They are ICE COLD! I am taking all my vitamins and getting proper nutrition these days..... It all started in the summer time.... and now that it is winter, even in a heated room, I am freezing... my hands and feet suffer... alot...

any ideas as to what might be wrong, if there is anything wrong at all?

xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/230/155

Height: 5'5"

i know you said your taking vitamins but what type are you taking? if they are pill form your body only absorbs 30-35% of the nutrients each pill claims to get into your system. you might want to look into Isotonix vitamins instead... they are liquid based (you mix a powder form with 2oz or so of water/juice) and they are the same pressure as your body so they are 100% absorbed. i think your circulation problem may be helped by an OPC-3 supplement made by that brand. I haven't gone through that surgery like you BUT i did have a lot of joint/back pain and poor circulation but I've been taking that for about 3 months now and everything's gotten better! it helped with my circulation problems (i could hardly kneel for a minute without my feet getting cold/losing feeling) and cardiovascular health. here's a link to the brand I use and some more info about it. http://www.marketamerica.com/suepasq...tonix-opc3.htm
k8zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:44 AM   #3  

Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #4  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Your body has not yet adjusted to your weight loss and your thermosat needs time to tweak. I am almost 3 years out and have the same problem. Nothing to worry about tho.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

Annie's right - we ALL have this. one of my friends moved to ARIZONA because she was ALWAYS cold up here in NJ!

but seriously - wear warm socks. keep a stash of lightweight gloves. your body will adjust, but it's gonna take some time. just be sure to keep exercising!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

My hands and feet are always cold. I usually warm them up on my DD or DH haaaaa ! well? I just thought it was the WL and age
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #7  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I've got this problem, compounded by living in a draughty 100-year-old house, and I just gave up and started wearing incredibly ugly fleecy slippers and knitted handwarmers to get through the worst of it.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I found that little things can really help. A long, soft, warm scarf wrapped around my neck and covering my chest helps a lot, and looks great too. A hoodie really helps warm me up, but doesn't look so great (with the hood up) - sometimes I just don't care. Gloves help too. Also a thin long-sleeve top layered under your main top, or even just a cami.

Sometimes those things help more than piling on heavy sweaters and jackets.

Oddly enough, better fitting socks help too. If my toes are cramped, they feel colder. I like the support trouser socks, because they have a toe and heel area built in that's noncompressing.

And fidgeting makes a surprising difference too. Although, it's annoying when someone is constantly bouncing their legs - again, sometimes I just don't care!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Oh Crap!!! I'm sorry for you. I live with this and it is a terror for me. But......it is worse for me when I don't drink my WATER!!!!! Get some hand warmers and stick those in your pockets. When we go to a restaurant, my DH will order coffee so I can hold the cup!!!! Good old boy!!! I'm a little over two years out and I'm cold all the time! Wonder if that will ever change?
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #10  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

I am so glad that someone asked this question, I wasn't sure why I am cold all the time. I know my electric bill is going to be a lot higher this month because I keep having to adjust the heat. A co-worker joked saying that is what happens when you get skinny, I just lost the one benefit of being fat LOL. I blew that off with laughter but I am FREEZING and I live in Texas...go figure.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #11  

I am typing with gloves on... lol.... thanks guys... what is DD and DH? Im confused... hehe
Old 12-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

DD is dear daughter and DH is dear husband. I hope. My dad used to call one of our dogs "dumba$$ dog" but don't think Leenie meant that !!!!!! LOL!! I went to knitting class today and my fingers are now white and when they start and warm up will get purple and hurt like a son of a gun!!!! It doesn't look good at knitting class to have your hands stuck in between your thighs for warmth and you certainly can't knit with your hands there!!!! My dear you look so good and so happy! Keep up the good work!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

nan - fingers turning blue and aching as they warm up = Raynaud's!!!! i have the same problem.

Raynaud's is NOT related to weight loss [as far as i know]. SOME of us wear light gloves indoors sometimes. but it's hard to knit with them on! what are you knitting, Nan????
Old 12-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

BTW - last winter - when i was unemployed and freelancing, i was ICY cold and didn't dare turn the heat up because money was so tight. i wrapped my legs in an afghan, and wore a sweater plus a sweatshirt, and drank lots of tea. and occasionally wore a shawl.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #15  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Nan I have that too!
Xbu one thing I do b4 I go out is take Cayenne it warms you up!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote