Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #1  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Question Does walking up stairs get you out of breath?

OMG today at school I walked up four flights of steps and I felt like I was going to DIE!!!!!! I have been op for a little over a month and I went to the gym the other day and I felt it. I felt so different. I knew that it was because I hadnt worked out in a lil over a month. THen today when I walked up those steps I really realized how important getting in shape is for me.

Its very hard for me to stick to the heathier life style. I will lose weight and than get laxed. I really want to change and get healthier. I guess this is more of a vent but also a wake up call of what I do want to be like in the next year. Thanks for listening ladies!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #2  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Yes I do get winded...and that was new for me...that was one of the reasons I decided...Holy Cow Cathy...you gotta do something! There was another one too... difficulty in tying my shoes. Never had that problem and then I started having that problem. I think I will make a list of the things that put me in the FINAL state of mind to do something. Keep coming back Matilda! We can do this together!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yep, winded on the stairs is a problem. I have to go up and down stairs getting little ones and bringing them to my office. Sometimes I hang outside their classrooms a bit because it's embarrassing going into the classroom huffing and puffing.

Cathy, I have trouble with my shoes, but worse is clipping my toenails.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I used to get very winded going up stairs or even walking a short distance. It is not a problem at all for me now. This is a big improvement in my life. Just going upstairs at home was an issue. Before starting this journey, I would leave for meetings before everyone else so that I could have time to catch my breath before anyone else got there. Life was hard at 291.

I am still obese but losing the weight that I have and exercising regularly has made huge improvements in my life. If I don't lose another pound, my life has been enriched.

Keep up the good job on losing weight. With a little exercise, those stairs will get easy in a short amount of time!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5'7"

I get Very winded going up stairs. It was so embarrassing going upstairs to talk to my boss, and I would stop and wait at the top to catch my breath.
2 months later, I'm still heavy but my cardiovascular is so improved, I don't get winded so easily anymore. I can get up those stairs and not be gasping for air.

Eliana - I still have trouble with my toenails lol it drives me crazy!
nicollem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #6  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Elaina I am with you and the toenails. There were getting more difficult. Lucky enuf I was still flexible enuf that could contort my body and legs and get it done. Glad no one tapped this scene! LOL
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #7  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Good for you for realizing it's important to you!

I used to work on the 7th floor of an office building and they would frequently have fire drills. It was no big deal to get down the stairs, but coming back in the building afterward, they would encourage us to take the stairs back to our floor because the elevators were very crowded. I tried it once and I really did feel like I was going to have a heart attack. By the 4th floor my legs were like noodles. By the 7th, I had to stand in the stairwell and try to breathe while sweating like crazy for 15 minutes, gasping the whole time. Awful.

I don't like to exercise, but I do understand the importance of it. I think what it boils down to is that I don't want to do the work to be fit! Lazy, through and through... But I'm going to get there someday.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 284 / 284 / 200

Height: 5'7"

Oh yeah, right there with you. I am currently creeping back up to the weight at which I began this year so my comments refer to me NOW and THEN. I hate it. When I go upstairs to put my daughter to bed I have to catch my breath before I can read her a story. One time a few years ago I was (still fat) in a situation where I had to climb up 3 flights of stairs and then go into a courtroom to make an argument. I was dripping with sweat and obviously struggling to catch my breath before I had to talk. SO embarrassing.

About six months ago I was still doing well on my "new healthy lifestyle" and I was running on the treadmill for 20 minutes at a time. Oh how quickly things can change. I wish that I had the willpower to stick with it, but I too struggle mightily.

Best wishes that you keep on the right path.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #9  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I used to get winded walking up the 2 flights of stairs to the chiropractor's office and be panting and trying to catch my breath before I walked into the office... Now I pretty much jog up those steps on my way in and it's a breeze. I think it gets easier when you get more cardio into your life.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote