South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Wowser! It's Wednesday Chat!

Good morning! The dogs were raring to go at 5 this morning and I'm feeling that way too. Maybe Kara is rubbing off on me.

Nice to see some of our missing chickies back on the Beach. Of course we kept your Beach towels but you'll have to take another number for a cabana boy.

I'm off to the gym and then to town for a haircut and a major shop. Tonight is my garden group's Christmas dinner which will be a challenge. It's a served meal instead of the usual buffet so will tricky. I'll be strong though as I've lost two pounds of my American Thanksgiving three. (No, Cottage did not force feed me! It was self-inflicted.)

So....how does your Wednesday look? Wow? Wonderful? (Whining and Whimpering are not allowed.)
Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning Everyone

Hi Ruth Thanks for starting us up! I was pondering over my options for an invite we have next week-the menu is already announced. I hope your dinner has a better choice than mine. Have a great gym day! Glad to hear the pounds are coming off.

I didn't get home until late yesterday and when sat down to check up on the beach news I was amazed to see the rush on towels! The great thing about the chickies at the beach is that they always have room for one more-especially for an old friend who's been gone awhile. I have a wheelbarrow full of gratitude for my beach friends.

Rikki, Lisa-Posting daily keeps me on track. You have both helped me lots and I'm glad you've grabbed a towel.

Little Chick, Jenski, I look forward to getting to know you.

Chelby, I'm glad you've set a goal for the month. I've missed you.

Me, had a whirlwind of a busy day yesterday and stayed OP. Today is my one day of the week which is pretty unstructured so I think I'll try for another bike ride. I had a cyclometer put on because I'd always wondered how far I'd ridden on my old bike (at HW I couldn't ride around the block). I'm already amazed at how fast the miles add up! I have lots to do at home before that happens.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning

Ruth - It's so nice when the extra lbs come off right away, before they get comfortable Sounds like a busy but not crazy day. Hope dinner holds some good choices for you.

Debbie - Is that what those things are called on the bike? I always think pedometer but know that's wrong I wish my indoor bike had one but there's no way to put one on it. Ah well. I hope your unstructured day includes some blocks of time just for you.

Today is CSA day, so that makes me happy. We've been getting a variety of greens (spinach, kale, bok choi, salad mix), apples and pears, winter squashes and root veggies so far. I'm really glad we did it and will join again next year. It extends the fresh veggie season without driving into town on Saturday mornings for the winter market.

I'm so happy to see so many old friends coming back I didn't expect you all until after the first of the year So nice to see you back along with all our "new" friends. It's nice to see things hopping through the holidays. I know it really helps keep me on track with my eternal 5-6 lbs up then working them back off
Old 12-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

We seem to be having a reunion here. It's so good to have Rikki, L.C., and Jenski back! You'll always find your towel is still here, we just have the cabana boys whisk them off to wash them so they'll be nice and fresh for you.

I'm tired this morning. I didn't get home until 8 last night and was in bed by 10, but I could use a couple more hours sleep. I hope my coffee perks me up, since Wednesdays are my early days and there's lots of errands and whatnot to do. At least I really, really, should be home by 5:30 today.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:34 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Ruth, good luck at your dinner tonight. Push things around on your plate to make it look as if you've eaten more. Good job on the two pounds lost!

Debbie, have a great bike ride! I just got back from a walk and I'm so glad I went out. The weather is absolutely gorgeous here today and that is very rare for December!

Cyndi, what do you do with kale? I've always wanted to try kale but I never knew what what be a good recipe for it.

Linda, hope you get home early today! I'm sure those girls will keep you going for the afternoon at least!

I need to get my workout in before Connor gets home from school. I just got back from a walk to the library. Two of my interlibrary loan books were in and I admit I cracked one open for the walk home. I dusted, swept, and vacuumed the bedrooms today and cleaned the upstairs bathroom. I got in one last flute practice before this evening's Advent service as well, and my butternut squash soup is simmering in the crockpot so I know I'll be on plan for the pot-luck soup dinner. Better get a move on before I have to cut the workout short!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Kara Kale is best after a frost, sweeter and more tender. I use it in everything this time of year because it will be available through the early snow (it can actually be picked until it's covered). It's good in soups, especially bean and lentil; sauteed with EVOO, garlic and a few pepper flakes (you could toss in some cannelini beans for protein); or just steamed and served with refried beans and salsa.I prefer non-spinach greens and use them anywhere other people might use spinach Oh there's also a recipe in the snacks for kale chips. I usually eat the whole pan when I make those
Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Just popping in before work to say hi from a newbie. I had a mini binge last night. I am nervous about today. I am working on it!! LOL I knew why I was eating and stopped. Today is another day. I am on the beach today and going to the gym!!

I will be back later this evening to read and get to know all of you!!

Keep smiling!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Good Morning, Chickies!

Ruth, Have fun at the gym. You are doing so great with your workouts! Congrats!

Debbie, I SO need to find an exercise that I like. Yesterday, I saw a 3 month membership sale at The Gym. Maybe I'll call for a price.

Cyndi, We bought fresh mustard greens at the market Sunday. They are so delicious!

Cottage, Maybe you can get a nap? How is the child who fell off the house?

Kara, Is the squash soup recipe on this forum?

Me: Day 3 of decorating the office. It is looking so festive and fun. Friday is our Open House. You are invited!

My dear hubby is the hardest person to buy Christmas for. He buys everything he wants -- and he buys it cheap. I don't know how he does it sometimes. What I usually do is listen for him to say, "I want ____" and I say, "That's what I'm getting you for Christmas. Buy IT!" He'll get his own present. This year, he wants a new laptop. I said Buy IT! He did. When I got home from work, the new laptop was laying in place of MY old laptop. He said that the old laptop would do what he wanted it to do, so he gave me the new laptop. It's very nice, but NOW, I have to find him another present for Christmas. sigh.... Any ideas for the mechanical guy who buys himself everything?

Maybe the Cabana Boy can shop for me?

Last edited by Chelby29; 12-02-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

It's not nice to hog all the cabana boys Ruth. Good luck with your dinner tonight. My ticker is gone too, the big liar. My Wednesday looks... whiny (sorry). I still have my headache and it's cold and I am only halfway through editing my spreadsheet. Plus I know DH will drag me out to test drive a car at lunchtime. Yesterday we drove the Prius and the Intuition. Personally, I could not care less, as long as it's got wheels and moves when I step on the pedal. And doesn't cost too much.
sophie, the car problem is with the transmission bearings, on 2003/2004 models with manual transmissions, so shouldn't affect your daughter. DH said they redesigned the bearings in 2005. Other than this, it has been a great car.

Hi Lexiss!
It's so great to see Jenski, Lisa, LC, and Rikki back home!
cottage, wait, the cabana boys do laundry? Can I borrow one here for the day? Hope you get home early.
Cyndi, how long does your CSA run? I am jealous of your squashes right now.
Kara, you make me feel sad with how much you can accomplish in one day... I love kale sauteed with garlic and olive oil. Sometimes you have to add a little water and cover because it can be a little tough. Also really good in soup with white beans. Oops, I see Cyndi already gave you the same answer - great minds think alike? I have never tried those kale chips.
Welcome, Karrebear! one day at a time!
Chelby, I don't think the cabana boys are very mechanical. DH and I usually just agree on a big ticket item we both want, and buy it together. It takes the pressure off, as he never wants anything anyway, and has no idea what I want.

It's cold out and my head hurts and I really don't want to walk, but I am going to force myself now. Even if my eating is not completely clean, and I don't lose anything in December, at least I can make my exercise goal, right?
Thanks for the positive thoughts for DD1 yesterday. She said the interview went well, although she felt underqualified. Hopefully she will get good news soon.
Happy Hump Day all!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 12-02-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #10  
Visualizing the Goal

Thanks Cyndi. I haven't even seen kale here anywhere but I will be on the lookout now!

Karyn, today is a new day. You start fresh every morning!

Chelby, your husband is the sweetest! I have no ideas. Sports tickets? My squash soup is super easy...

one large or two small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
two carrots, peeled and chopped in chunks
one Granny Smith apple, peeled, seeded, and cubed
one onion, chopped in chunks
a couple cloves of garlic, rough chopped
a can of broth
a can's worth of water
cumin, pepper, or whatever spices you like

I throw it all in the crock pot and simmer on high for about six hours and then puree with an immersion blender. We like the soup topped with sharp cheddar cheese, raisins, and almonds.

Schmoodle, maybe you'll walk the grumpies away. Today is only so many hours long. The end will come eventually and then you'll start a fresh day tomorrow. I am feeling positive today. Does it show?

Last edited by tomandkara; 12-02-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #11  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Morning! So nice to see everyone back! Good thing I have someone that I fear would put my butt in a sling if I stayed away too long..... *coughCYNDIcough* otherwise I would have missed out!

Kara, how have you been girlie??? Just another Key West vacation in 51 days. Fill me in on what's up with you!!!

Trying to behave myself now that ALL the weddings are done, and Thanksgiving is over. I don't moo quite so much at Christmas so I should be ok. I also hooked up the Wii and taught my mom a little about using the Wii Fit last night after we watched Biggest Loser. I only did like 20 minutes last night but I was just trying to give Mom an idea of all the different games. She is mildly overweight (25 BMI) but because of her back and leg issues, she has horrible balance, and I thought the Wii Fit would help her with that.

I have that stupid (I think it's Gap? I don't know) commercial in my head with the little girls doing cheerleader type things regarding their clothes. "I LOVE MY COMFY SWEATER! I LOVE MY COMFY SWEATER!" Ughhhhhh shut it. I don't know, how cute ARE your boots? They'll look a lot better after I whack you over the head with them....

Just a little early morning earworm bitterness! Otherwise, in a pretty good mood! It's Wednesday! DATE NIGHT! Chris and I are going to see 2012 after work, I think. Will be nice to see him. With the wedding in Chicago this weekend, I haven't seen him since I ate at his parents' house for Thanksgiving.

OH CRAP, time to dry my hair. I'm so long-winded!!! Hope everyone has a fabulous day! I'll try to check in later!

Lisa
Old 12-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #12  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Good Morning Chickies... it is so nice to be back. I have decided that 2010 is going to be my year of changes. I am just starting a little early. I have quit smoking I am at 22 days smoke free. And I am up 10 pounds I figured I better get back on track now, and not wait til after christmas. I also really want to go back to work and am working on finding the perfect job, I am not in a hurry but I am ready for something new.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes back to the beach, it is just like coming home.
Well got to dash it is snack time here and the wee ones are starting to get cranky, I was hoping to do some personals but maybe later on.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hey, all! I'm glad it's Wednesday, as that means a night without outside obligations...and lots to do at home! I thought we bought enough paper for our Christmas letters last year to last through this year, but I can't find it. So I spent most of yesterday searching and then driving to Staples to buy more rather than working on the homemade gifts that we're supposed to be doing this year. Yikes! I need to get to work on that tonight.

Food's going well--I made a simple soup from cauliflower, leeks, and a little browned butter (1 T for the whole pot) yesterday and was surprised at how much I liked it!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #14  
Visualizing the Goal

Lisa, things are good here. Tom deployed last winter and got back right after school started. It was hard and I hated it. We love having him back where there aren't regular rocket attacks! I didn't concentrate at all on my eating while he was gone. I did have exercise goals (more to wear me out in the hopes that I'd sleep than actually to lose weight) and that worked. I didn't lose or gain anything while he was away. Now I'm ready to kick these 15 pounds I've put on since we left Korea. Almost halfway there! After that I'll decide where I want to go.

LC, congrats on quitting smoking! I have several friends who have quit smoking recently and they are all so glad they did, even though it was super hard.

Laurie, my new Agatha Raisin books were at the library when I got there today! After these two I'm at the end of the series, although I'm pretty sure the author isn't done. It was a fun little escape!

The kids are home and it's time to do homeschool. We still have two and a half hours until we have to leave for church, so they'll probably get some play time in, too. That'll be good for getting the wiggles out before having to sit still.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #15  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning,

Wow so nice to see old friends around again, welcome back. I wish I had time for personals but don't today.

Yesterday afternoon, got a call that DS had been in accident- so flew out of work- not sure if both vehicles are totalled will have to wait for claim adjuster to decide. Unfortunately it was DS fault as he did not see the person when he was pulling out of school parking lot so he has a court date as well now we will have to go to. But atleast he didn't get hurt, the other person stated their neck hurt so they went to the ER so not sure if they are okay so please send a prayer their way as we are not allowed to call and see.

Have a great day everyone
Closed Thread