Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Default having trouble finding your natural thyroid med?

If you're having trouble finding your natural thyroid med, like Armour Thyroid, Naturethroid or Westhroid, please check out the info at www.savenaturalthyroid.com

or also all the good discussion at the facebook page by the same name.

or holler at me.

hugs,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #2  

just moving this back up to the top
Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

hi cathyxxx! Glad you're getting awareness out there - Dr. Mercola's website just did a big article on how the FDA is shutting down the manufacturers of the natural stuff so they can keep getting the bribes from the makers of the fake hormones. I've signed the petition, and made calls - I'm so freakin' mad at the government right now I could SPIT.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #4  

ICUwishing - please come join us on the Save Natural Thyroid facebook page for up to date info on what is going on.

Mary Shomon has set up a conference call for this Thursday with "The Steering Committee" that has been formed to address this issue.

"The Steering Committee for Save Natural Thyroid is having their first conference call this Thursday! Find out which practitioners have signed on to participate in the Coalition Steering Committee, to support the right to prescribe natural desiccated ...thyroid drugs, and our right to be prescribed these drugs!"
Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 AM   #5  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
hi cathyxxx! Glad you're getting awareness out there - Dr. Mercola's website just did a big article on how the FDA is shutting down the manufacturers of the natural stuff.
I didn't know about this. I think the FDA is extremely corrupt.
I don't have facebook; could you please link to the petition I can sign?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #6  

if you don't have a facebook you can find everything you need at

www.savenaturalthyroid.com
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Forgive me if this is being "nosy", but how do you get your doctor to give you armour? Is it really better?
I have HAshimoto's disease (caused my hypo) so I am not sure if I can take the armour but even though I feel like I still have symptoms (dry skin, fatigue) they say that my levels are "normal"
I take Levothyroxine but my doctor is my main doctor...I never got referred to an endo even if there was one in my area...
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #8  

Dagny - you are not being nosy at all.
you might want to check out the info at
www.thyroid.about.com and at
www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

you usually have to find a doc that is willing to prescribe natural desicatted thyroid meds. A lot of endos are "synthetic thyroid meds" only.

I also have Hashimotos. Of course you can take Armour or any other natural desiccated thyroid med.

The other thing you can do is try to get your current doc to run your FREE T3 test and if your results are low or low in the range, you can get him to add Cytomel, which is synethic T3, and that may help you some. But many many people find that natural thyroid meds treat their hypo symptoms better.

let me know if I can help with any of the info.
take care,
Cathy
Old 11-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #9  

Thanks Cathy.
I have read some things on the Stop the thyroid madness website...I don't have an Endo my general doctor diagnosed me and she is the one treating me. I have been wanting to ask her if I can try the Armour or other thyroid meds but have been afraid...(weird I know)
But I have an appointment in December and I feel like either my levels are off or the meds are fixing my symptoms and I wanted to ask if we could try something different...
She put me on levothyroxine and I am not sure how good that is but I think she put me on that assuming she would transfer me to synthroid when we found a good dosage.
Is Armour more expensive? (compared to levothyroxine)
oh and she does run the Free T3 (and T4) along with TSH. At one time I told her I still had symptoms so she said the TSH but something was low and so it might have been causing underactive symtoms so she increased my dose...so maybe instead if it was Free T3 she should have added that...

Last edited by Dagny18; 11-06-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #10  

oh no - natural thyroid meds are not expensive at all!!!! I take 5 grains daily, which most consider to be a high dosage, and it runs me less than $30 a month - full price (no insurance). Most people pay less than $20n a month for their dosage.

usually a GP is easier to work with so you may be able to get her to switch you to natural desiccated thyroid meds. there is shortage right now of Armour (for a lot of reasons that you can read about at thyroid.about.com and at stopthethyroidmadness) but Naturethroid will be shipping out this month. If I were you I would ask for a prescription for Naturethroid, as it will be easier to find and is the same thing as Armour.

If your doc does not know a lot about natural thyroid meds then you will need to research this stuff and become your best advocate. You can find good info at www.thyroid.about.com and at stopthethyroidmadness.

I'm glad to hear your doc runs the FREE T3. I cannot tell you how many don't, so that's a good sign.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #11  

Yea I do like my doc, I think I will ask her the the nature one. Levothyroxine is only $10 for me I think...
I want to get my levels checked again but my mom says they only do that every 6 weeks and it is expensive.
See I had them checked at the beginning of last month, but for some reason the doctor never saw and reported on them. But the end of last month I had dry skin (on the side of my neck). It is winter here, but I moisturize alot using bath & body works (I got it last Chrismas) I told them I had been using that since last christmas, so over a year. I am not allergic to it. And I didn't say but I also take biotin for healthy skin, nails and hair.
Well they told me I was normal! I am supposed to stop using my moisturizer and use this other kind. Well I didn't do that, just started using the cream version of the lotions and this week the dry skin did go away.
But I am still convinced that my levels aren't right...:/ I don't have carpel tunnel but when my levels are off, well I have carpel tunnel! I also take allergy meds because I have allergies if I don't. And since last week for no reason I gained 2 pounds...petty but I don't know. Would you keep contacting your doctor if you were me? Or just wait a few months, redo the blood tests and see what they say?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #12  

when did they tell you that you're normal? from the blood work that was done the beginning of October or September?

it's really hard for me to say what I would do if I were you - bec I would only take natural thyroid meds - Armour, Naturethroid or compounded Armour (that is made by a pharmacist). I would make sure that my doc was running the FREE T3 and FREE T4 tests and I would make sure that my doc was paying more attention to my hypo symptoms then just dosing by the results of the labwork.

you definitely have hypo symptoms
Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 182.6/181.2/160

You can also have your natural thyroid made at a compounding pharmacy. Most insurance plans cover it if the doctor prescribes it.

You can find a compounding pharmacy at the International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists (IACP). They have a good website.

They are just like normal pharmacies, with the exception that they can also make the natural stuff to order.

Right now, mine has Armour, but they're ready to go if the supply dries up again. The doctor must write the prescription for the dosage and "Natural Thyroid - Compound if necessary" for the insurance to cover it.

Incidentally, compounding pharmacies are also a great place to get a reference for a good doctor! That's how I found my guy. :-)
ShayFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 182.6/181.2/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny18 View Post
Thanks Cathy.
She put me on levothyroxine and I am not sure how good that is but I think she put me on that assuming she would transfer me to synthroid when we found a good dosage.
I hate to tell you this, but you need a different doctor!

Synthroid *is* levothyroxine. It's the same thing! Levothyroxine is just the generic name for Synthroid.
ShayFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayFromTexas View Post
I hate to tell you this, but you need a different doctor!

Synthroid *is* levothyroxine. It's the same thing! Levothyroxine is just the generic name for Synthroid.
No, not necessarily. The point is that they don't believe the effect of generics in this case is consistent, and it is recommended to prescribe only a specific brand to assure consistency.

I presume his/her intent is to use a cheaper generic at first and then switch to the branded product. I'm still not sure this makes sense though, because if the generic is not equivalent, there will still be an adjustment period after switching to Synthroid. Perhaps he/she thinks it will probably go smoothly and save her a bit of money.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote