Old 11-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #1  

Default how did you lose 100 pounds?

I have tried many, many diets over the years and have been successful in the short term with some of them. I really need a lifestyle change and would like to know how you lost your 100 pounds. Specifically, did you do WW, South Beach, surgery, calorie counting, etc? I can go to the various boards here on the specific diets but I just wanted to know from the 100 pounders Thanks in advance
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #2  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I haven't lost 100 yet But I have lost 90 pounds so I am getting close. I started my Journey Just alittle over a year ago (On November 11th 2008)

I count my calories I eat Everyday. Nothing more...Just my calorie intake.
I keep them within the range to lose weight.
www.freedieting.com If you go to that site it will give you an estimate On how many calories to eat for your height /weight/ ect. On there free calorie calculators. It is easy for me to do & I eat whatever Is in the house just in smaller portions...If I want Pizza I eat it But in smaller portions than I normally would have before...Ect.
Plus maintaining will be easy to do because I will just adjust My calories & will not have to continue to buy diet pills Or drinks or diet foods....That Comes along with alot of diets.......YOU ARE JUST TEACHING YOURSELF TO EAT WHAT YA GOT THE CORRECT WAY.

nearly forgot to add: After My first month of counting calories...I added in walking (just indoors from one room to the next) & At first it was about 15 mintues 2 to 3 times a day Now I walk 45 mintues 2 x's a day most everyday for about the last 8 to 9 months. as my main form of exercise.

GOODLUCK LESLIELOU!!!

Last edited by Lori259; 11-28-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #3  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

IMHO the main thing isn't the plan you choose, it's commitment and consistency. Personally I started on Atkins (low carb, high fat) for the first 120 lbs then switched to The Metabolism Miracle (low carb, low fat) for the next 40, which I will stay on for life.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I've lost 150 to date by counting calories and exercise
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #5  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I agree with DC!

I started on WW and after I lost 100lbs I switched to counting calories. Both are basically the same thing . I also exercise 5-6 days a week.

Good luck with what ever plan you choose!!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I think any plan you can personally live with long term will work so long as you stick to it like super glue. Personally, I loosely count calories, but mostly just stopped binge eating and cut way back on my portions while incorporating healthier foods. The lack of a strict framework works for me, but might not for others who need more structure. I've tried rigid in the past and it worked, but I couldn't sustain it after I lost the weight.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #7  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Although I'm aware of and watch my calories, I don't really count them. It's more that I watch my portions and make sure I eat healthier food over all (plenty of vegetables and fruits, easy on the meat and cut way down on simple carbs). And although I haven't been as consistent as I'd like with it, I also try to get my body moving. My latest thing is swimming at the Y.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Calorie counting with a vast emphasis on whole foods. I also run 5 miles 5-6 days a week. Find something that is workable for you in every way--something you can see yourself doing forever. For me, that was finding the lowest calorie options that were acceptable to me. It also meant finding an exercise that I enjoyed, was low cost and doable anywhere and anytime. Lastly, surround yourself with knowledge. You have an overwhelming supply right here on 3FC. Know your stuff and put it into practice. Cradle yourself in support and full steam ahead.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I lost 100 lb, well actually 165 of them, by deciding to. I was sick and tired of being fat and FINALLY realized that I didn't have to be if I didn't want to. That it really was my choice. It was my choice to get fat and it was going to have to be my choice to lose the weight as well.

So therefore, I agree with DC's statement totally and completely.

Quote:
IMHO the main thing isn't the plan you choose, it's commitment and consistency.
You asked which program, for me it was calorie counting, combined with eating highly nutritious, whole foods, while completely banning many foods - the ones that I loved (or thought I did anyway) and overate the most.

It IS a lifestyle change, or in my case a life style overhaul. You have to decide once and for all and permanently how you want to live your life. Eating whatever you want, when you want and being miserable or eating carefully, responsibly, intelligently and getting the most out of life. And yes - coming to LOVE that said lifestyle.

There is no magic plan out there. You MUST to be WILLING to stick to whatever plan you choose, tweaking it as need be. But it is about willingness. What are you willing to give up in order to get so much in return?

One needs to make peace and accept the fact that you can't have it both ways. You can't have the high calorie/high quantity foods AND be that fit, trim and health minded person. It just can't occur. The wonderful thing is, once you get past that initial discomfort of a new lifestyle, you become accustomed to it and actually LOVE it waaaay more then the old lifestyle and then you wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

This healthy lifestyle is no burden or hardship. It is a joy and a blessing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I'm not a hundred pound loser "yet" but I just want to add that I have learned lots by checking in every day and listening to the wonderful losers who weighed in on this thread.

Do what they do and you WILL LOSE.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #11  

Thanks, thanks, thanks for all your replies! I have decided to make this lifestyle change and I am glad to have you guys here with me along for the ride While I've been sort of watching I'm eating for a couple of weeks...I'm gonna get serious. Gonna go to the grocery store today and stock up on good, low-cal foods and start walking again. I cant wait to have this fat melt off
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Good for your Leslie! Good luck and keep us updated
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote