Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:28 PM   #1  

Default Doctor Consultation

I have an appointment for a consultation with the doctor 12/31. Maybe things will start happening after that. I'm ready to lose some weight so my back will start feeling better
Old 12-18-2002, 09:44 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Default what a great way to start the new year!!

so, start dishing!!! where did you find this doc? do you know other people who've had the surgery? what pushed you over the edge to make the call??

how long did you have to wait from the time you called to when your appt?

come on jburress... start talking!!!!! inquiring minds want to know.

ok ok ok. i'm just nosy.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:22 PM   #3  

I want to hear too!!!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:29 AM   #4  

me three!

peach
Old 12-28-2002, 07:18 PM   #5  

My husband was researching the surgery on the internet and found a doctor in Louisville that specializes in gastric bypass. He had an information forum for people interested in the surgery. We went and my husband (who was not too sure about me having a bypass) was very impressed. I called his office the next day and got an appointment for the 31st. I'll soon hopefully be on my way to a new body!
Old 12-28-2002, 09:53 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

sounds hopeful!!! is this doc a member of the american society for bariatric surgery? and is there a support group for afterwards? and does he have nutritional guidance and how much protein do you have to eat???

i'm sure there are many more questions that you have.. but you'll get the answers in a few days, if you don't have them already.

just a few more days!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 10:24 PM   #7  

I went to my consultation on 12/31/02. The doctor explained everything very throughly. He kept asking if anyone had any questions. When someone would ask a question, he would go into great detail to explain the answer. I turned in all my informaiton and medical packet and the office gave me a copy of what my PCP's letter needed to cover. They also needed me to get a blood test. I got all that done and turned into the surgeon's office. I got a call from the surgeon's office today and I need to get a psychological exam. What does that involve?
Old 01-11-2003, 10:42 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

hey jb... glad to see you're back. the psych exam isn't a big deal. they want to know that you're a reasonably stable person with a fair amount of support for this journey, and that you understand and are willing to follow the post surgery diet and care.

it's ok. you're doing fine..
Old 01-12-2003, 01:35 AM   #9  

I haven't replied because 1) I had to go to the emergency room with serious back pain and have been trying to recover from that 2) I had the virus with both ends expelling at the same time 3) Christmas and all that involves 4) getting ready to start back to school with all new classes and 5) helping 1 of my 2 favorite nieces get ready for her wedding.
I'm not too nervous about the psy evaluation, but we live in a very small town and its hard to find someone local to go to so I don't have to travel for 1 and 1/2 hours.
I wish this whole process was over and I had a date for my surgery and looking forward to a new life.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:06 PM   #10  

I had my psychological exam tonight. The doctor said she would have the report to my doctor by the first of the week. As far as I know, this is all the doctor needs before submitting to my insurance. Wish me luck!
Old 01-15-2003, 10:22 PM   #11  

Hello!

Good luck with your insurance. How did it go at the psych office? I will have to do that at some point myself. I don't have my first appt until Feb 11 with the surgeon.

What all did they do to you or ask you? Should I try to appear to be sane or insane?

Patty
Old 01-15-2003, 10:23 PM   #12  
Slowly going crazy!

You have my wishes for luck! ! ! ! Sounds like you are off to a good start in getting your journey on it's way! ! !

Looking forward to more updates from you! !
Old 01-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #13  

The psychologist had an information letter from my doctor's office that told her what the insurance was looking for. The whole session took 30 minutes including the time she talked to my husband and myself together. According to the doctor's office this was the last thing they needed before submitting to the insurance company.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:15 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

wow!!!! only 30 minutes?????? mine was 2 hours and VERY detailed...

but congratulations! sounds like the last little piece is done.. what's next? the waiting game? or do you have to submit something yourself?
Old 01-19-2003, 09:31 PM   #15  

My psych eval was about 20 minutes. Nothing too detailed.
Closed Thread