Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default "Secrets of a Former Fat Girl"

Has anyone read this book? I bought it a couple of months back, read it and it certainly motivated me... I'm reading it again as a refresher and I'd forgotten how funny the author is

There are a lot of tips in it, but as always it's only one little piece of someone's pie. So does anyone have any other reading recommendations?
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #2  

Who's the author? I'm always looking for new weight loss books!
Bry1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 380/175/150

Height: 5' 4"

The Amazon reviews seem to indicate that this book is good for a certain type of person, but isn't suitable for older people or those who don't have size 2 as their goal. She seems to have motivated herself mainly by aspiring to being extremely small and exercises like mad to stay that way. While that may work for some, it's not really a possibility for others.

I can't see such a book motivating someone like me (being 45 and aspiring to a healthy weight, not a particular size), but it may be okay for some others.
screamingfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #4  

I can undersatand your thoughts after reading those reviews, think i should go post one!

I didn't get that from the book at all. She never once preaches to get to a tiny waistline... what she talks about is making exercise and nutrition a life long habit, and she offers some cool tips about how to stop things like that "whiner in your head" when it's hard to stay motivated, and how important it is to start small. (for example, walking. Start walking 3 days a week, even if it's just a few minutes at a time. Keep doing it for 6 weeks, then work your way up to an additonal 5 mintues or whatever... you get the picture)

She even talks about her love for things like a Whopper Jr. from burger king and how she loves Mexican food, but now she only eats the weirdly curled chips from the basket instead of the whole basket, lol

Anyway I'm not ever going to be a size 2 and never have a wish to, but I thought it was a good read. She didn't make me feel like I should try to be any size but happy and healthy.

The book is in the car, so I'll have to post the Author tomorrow!

Last edited by bensempress; 11-21-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:17 AM   #5  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

I'd be interested in reading this book, but I'm totally broke. xD I'm at a point in my life where I could use a little more motivation. I am aware of my goals, and working towards them everyday, but sometimes I need a reminder.. a kick in the rear if you will.

Last edited by UrthWurm; 11-21-2009 at 03:18 AM.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #6  

Yeah, I totally know what you mean... I'm about halfway through it for the second time, then I'm happy to send it to you if you'd like! PM me if you're interested.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:51 AM   #7  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Thank you for the kind gesture! I actually was looking it up today and found out our local library carries it at a few locations. To save us both a little stress and shipping, I think I'll go and exercise my sad dusty little library card. Thank you again for the offer though, and the book suggestion. I can't wait to pick it up!
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #8  

I love the library idea! Didn't even think about that