South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Fast food emergency

Okay maybe the word 'emergency' is a bit dramatic but I am trying very hard to stay OP.

My husband was supposed to bring me home a hardee's low carb thickburger, and a side salad. This is why I did not cook tonight.

Instead he brings me this grilled chicken salad in a huge fried tortilla (what was he thinking??) with packets of ranch.

He said he didn't know they put the salad in big tortillas, but that the salad came with fried chicken and he specifically requested grilled chicken.

So I dumped the salad onto a plate, discarded the tortilla. The dressing and the chicken taste really sweet, so I checked the dressing packet, only 2g a serving, so that's fine. The problem is the grilled chicken, it is sweet, and why??

Then he tells me something about he thinks the hardee's grilled chicken is honey glazed? Umm.. ???

So I thought fast, I took a bottle of Fillippo Berio's EVOO and poured a teaspoon or so on my salad in the hopes of combating whatever evil sugars may be in the grilled chicken marinade.

Good idea ??
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #2  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

why would adding oil ( any oil even if its heart healthy ) help combat the amount of sugar in a particular food ..... all you did was add a few extra calories ... next time skip the oil , you had salad dressing on it already
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Maybe it was too sweet because your tastes have changed. I remember eating a hostess cake after being on south beach for awhile. It was too sweet for me.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I think the chicken sounds like the lesser of two evils here. Looked at the stats of the low carb thickburger. There's 32 Gms of fat in it and 12 of that is saturated fat. Neither item is a good SB choice. Just curious Mel, why didn't he bring you what you ordered?

Last edited by murphmitch; 11-20-2009 at 08:25 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The rationale for adding oil would be that South Beach is founded upon glycemic index/glycemic load (the impact that foods have on blood sugar). Adding fat to a high glycemic food would reduce the impact on blood sugar.

As to whether the reduction in glycemic index/load is worth the extra calories, is a harder question to answer... maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

For 40 to 60 calories, I don't think it was a bad decision, but I don't know how much good it did.

The "evil" in the sugars is mostly (in my opinion) related to the cravings/false hunger it's likely to bring on later. So another option when eating a food that is higher glycemically (? maybe not a word) than ideal, is to be more aware of cravings/hunger (and perhaps even calories) for the rest of the day.

That's easy for me to say, though as rather than following South Beach, I follow an exchange plan and try to make my food choices South Beach compatible.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-20-2009 at 08:31 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #6  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

i love kaplods .... she always seems to know exactly what shes talking about .... and can say so without making the other person feel stupid lol <3 kaplods !
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Melanie

I thought about this alot, because I know you're trying really hard to stay OP and do a clean P1-and unfortunately by the time DH gets home with something that is totally NOT-it's too late. At my house there would be 2 choices; 1) go off plan
2) make my DH feel bad(or mad) because I can't eat what he brought.

This thread is from our forum; http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...ood-guide.html One thing I thought was helpful was that it discussed specific additions such as brown sugar. I would suspect that a glazed chicken would have high fructose corn syrup which is the ultimate craving mechanism as far as I can tell.

The only time I've eaten fast food since starting SB was at McD. I ordered a plain CB and brought my own WW bun and switched out. I read a book early on called "The End of Overeating" and the main theme I took away from it was that the chains go to great lengths to "doctor" their foods with hidden fat, salt and sugar in order to "hook" their customers into craving more...and more...and more. How I translate that into my success on SB is that when I consume those "doctored" foods I don't get rid of my cravings, which then leads me to going off SB and either not losing, regaining or actually increasing from my current weight.

Even now I really research in advance if I know I'm going out and have my choice written in stone before getting there. I would probably have it written down for DH...and I'd probably steer away while in P1. There have been more than a few times that DH wanted to go out or pick something up and I've evaluated and said, hey I'll cook a burger at home-more work but I can control the ingredients.

All said, learn and move forward! For me, the worst part is not the one meal off plan, it's when I decide to just say heck with it all!

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #8  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

ChunkyMonkey, Kaplods explained my rationale perfectly. I thought it would lessen the impact on my blood sugar by adding the little bit of oil (it was only a teaspoon or so)

Foodobsessed, good point, although I still wonder what was in the grilled chicken! Heheh.

MurphMitch, I don't know what he was thinking... originally he was going for pizza from the local italian place, so I requested one of those italian salads. Next he decides he wants Hardees, and asked if I wanted one of those low carb burgers rather than him going for the pizza place so I said okay, knowing the pizza being there would only tempt me. But instead he brings the salad, and said it was because I had originally wanted salad anyway. I think that's why he did it. He is notorious for messing things up. I can't even give him a grocery list, he usually forgets an item.

You're right @ Chunky Monkey, Kaplods always has good posts!

Lexiis, that's a good idea. And I understand the husband being mad or making him feel bad thing, too! Mine was upset because he said he feels like he never gets it right. He doesn't understand the SBD at all. He couldn't believe that I couldn't eat the pineapple he was ready to cut up yesterday. Yup definitely a good idea. Tonight he wanted subs from a local place here, and I said well you get one if you want, I'm making tuna salad (knowing that he loves my tuna salad.) I am forgoing the fast foods. He always wants to order out because he's picky.

Well you guys, I think I avoided this fast food diaster and have kept staying OP!
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote