South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default A thread about Almonds

I have read many articles regarding the virtues of almonds, the fatty acids in them, and the claims that they help burn belly fat.

I don't know about all of that but they are a great snack on the SBD. What do you guys think about the claims about almonds?

Also, I bought a bag of almonds from the store, all natural. They don't taste like the salted, roasted almonds I am accustomed to. I guess they have not been baked? How would I go about doing this? I was thinking about tossing them with a teaspoon of smart balance oil, a tiny bit of salt and seasonings, and then baking them. Has anyone tried this? Any tips?

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 11-18-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #2  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

A lot of people eat the almonds just as you bought them... I sometimes will mix the all natural with a lightly salted version.

Cathy
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

I ate them and they're not bad, just not as palatable to me as the roasted kind. That said, I could eat them raw with no problem, but I'm looking for a more satisfying roasted and salty taste.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm a big fan of the 100 calorie almond packs, mostly because I have little to no self control with nuts but want the health benefits. Personally I think the roasted, salted ones taste better but the unroasted, unsalted ones are easier to eat in moderation and healthier. All depends on your triggers From everything I've read they are really good for you, again in moderation and without excess salt.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #5  
Healthy mommy

I take a measuring cup and measure out my nuts, then put them away and close them back up with one of those clip thingies, then stick them far back in the cabinet so it's too much hassle to keep going back for more.. (I am lazy). It really helps me to not continuously grab handfuls of nuts. I guess I can shun the salt, but I just want that deepened roasted flavor. But, it is true the plain unroasted ones do prevent me from wanting more so I might just stick with them as is.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I tried some roasted almonds dusted in cocoa powder someone brought to work last week. They were so good, too good. I think I would have trouble stopping. I think Diamond makes them and they come in little packs. I am in to Trader Joes Almond Butter and get the unsalted crunchy kind. If you google it, I'm sure there are recipes for roasting or toasting nuts either on the stovetop or in the oven. I prefer that roasted flavor too.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have eaten raw almonds from the very beginning of my journey. I find they help me stay satiated with healthy fats. I knew very little about the flat belly diet in the beginning but did incorporate the foods hoping they would help. In the beginning I was eating mostly diet frozen meals and the flat belly foods in strict moderation. About 20 pounds down I went to calorie counting but find that I still like the raw almonds. Don't worry about the taste--you grow used to them pretty quickly without all the junk on them.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #8  
Healthy mommy

The almonds dusted in cocoa powder sound interesting, I would like to try it. Cocoa powder is a bit bitter to my tastebuds (although a good flavor), so it might actually satisfy me just enough to keep from eating a whole jarful. I'm gonna make my own, find a recipe for toasting them, then tossing them with a tiny bit of cocoa powder.

ThighsBegone, I think you're right, I'm already getting used to the natural, unroasted taste of the almonds. They're not so bad. I want to try some almond butter also, haven't had that stuff since I was an 18 year old vegetarian. And ThighsBeGone? Kudos to you, your weight tracker is amazing and inspiring to me.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #9  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I take nuts, stir them in egg white mixed with whatever flavoring I want (splenda, cinnamon, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, rosemary, etc).

I put them on a cookie sheet and bake them for at least a half hour at 325/350 (stir and bake until done).

The egg whites make them shiny and help the flavor stick to the nuts, and of course, no extra fat. Only eat as many nuts as you are supposed to eat, and store appropriately (in fridge).
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #10  
Healthy mommy

Ahh, a recipe to try finally! (I kept forgetting to go to google.) Thanks Weeble! That sounds really good.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 11-20-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #11  
hand to mouth disease?

I'm weeb. weezle's a skinny vegetarian.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #12  
hand to mouth disease?

also, if I buy a bag of something I really like, I sit with a measuring cup and a bag of snack sized snack bags and divvy up the whole container into SERVINGS. I put all the snack sized snack bags (full) back into the original container or into a cookie jar or canister. That way, I can grab some and put them into my purse or school bag or suitcase or glove compartment, and I can snack on them without going on autopilot.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #13  
hand to mouth disease?

also, if I buy a bag of something I really like, I sit with a measuring cup and a bag of snack sized snack bags and divvy up the whole container into SERVINGS. I put all the snack sized snack bags (full) back into the original container or into a cookie jar or canister. That way, I can grab some and put them into my purse or school bag or suitcase or glove compartment, and I can snack on them without going on autopilot.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #14  
Healthy mommy

Oops! I am sorry, Weeble! I edited my post to give you the credit you deserve. I could blame it on my SBD flu headache but I think I just read too quickly sometimes!

I really love your idea of the divvying up in snack bags, I've got my almonds roasting and I've got the snack bags & measuring cups pulled out to do just that. It is very convenient, if I go ahead and do this now, I won't have to worry about it measuring stuff out everyday, and I can grab n' go when needed. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #15  
hand to mouth disease?

it's not about credit.

The other good part of do-it-yourself snack packs is it's CHEAPER than 100-calorie packs, and it's probably a TON healthier than getting 100-calorie packs.

Weeb